The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Minimalist Overlanding in a Grenadier

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score
Hello all, I thought it might be interesting to hear different views on the minimal amount of kit/gear that you feel necessary to enjoy an overlanding trip, whether for one week, two weeks or a month or more. Most on this forum have the knowledge and the means to build a full on overlanding rig with drawer systems, fridge slides, sleep platforms or roof top tents, possibly an Alucab pop-up, solar panels, shower setup, hot/cold water supply, awnings, etc. you get the picture. Having owned/built these kinds of rigs in the past, but also having travelled the backcountry by motorcycle, I'm thinking it might be interesting to bring more than what can be carried on the back of a bike, but keep it a lot simpler than a built out overlander/expedition rig. I think the Grenadier lends itself to this model as it is incredibly capable as delivered.

My list:
- IG Trialmaster with lockers, winch, sliders, tailgate table, etc.
- Maxtrax & recovery gear.
- Delete the rear seats and put a plate over the electronics to provide a flat load surface.
- Exped Megamat inflatable mattress.
- Down sleeping bag/pillow.
- Jackery 500 Portable Power Station
- ARB 52 qt. Fridge.
- Soft luggage/organization cubes.
- Nemo shower/standalone privacy tent.
- PETT Portable toilet.
- Standalone Wing awning (anchored with one or two lines to IG grab handles).
- Standalone camp table.
- Cook Partner two burner stove.
- Nemo Stargazer chair for outside.
- Kermit chair for sitting inside (should be low enough to allow for stretching out legs, and with plenty of headroom).
I will also pack a large 4 person Big Agnes tent in case the weather gets bad and so I don't feel trapped inside the IG.

Any thoughts/ideas/additions?

Cheers!

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, “minimalist” may be a bit of a stretch after looking back at my list. As I age (recently retired) I definitely want some comforts, so point taken, but I think a lot of overlanding rigs, especially in the states, are overkill. I’ve spent my share of time “roughing it” with the bare minimum kit, so am trying to find a nice balance.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:07 AM
Reaction score
Hello all, I thought it might be interesting to hear different views on the minimal amount of kit/gear that you feel necessary to enjoy an overlanding trip, whether for one week, two weeks or a month or more. Most on this forum have the knowledge and the means to build a full on overlanding rig with drawer systems, fridge slides, sleep platforms or roof top tents, possibly an Alucab pop-up, solar panels, shower setup, hot/cold water supply, awnings, etc. you get the picture. Having owned/built these kinds of rigs in the past, but also having travelled the backcountry by motorcycle, I'm thinking it might be interesting to bring more than what can be carried on the back of a bike, but keep it a lot simpler than a built out overlander/expedition rig. I think the Grenadier lends itself to this model as it is incredibly capable as delivered.

My list:
- Delete the rear seats and put a plate over the electronics to provide a flat load surface.
- ARB 52 qt. Fridge.
- PETT Portable toilet.
- Standalone camp table.
- Kermit chair for sitting inside (should be low enough to allow for stretching out legs, and with plenty of headroom).
I will also pack a large 4 person Big Agnes tent in case the weather gets bad and so I don't feel trapped inside the IG.

Cheers!
A lightweight grill/firepit might go well with that list.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

My list:
- ARB 52 qt. Fridge.
- PETT Portable toilet.
- Standalone camp table.

Cheers!
Dual battery system with solar input and solar blanket, Awning and led lights. Large swag. Bladder for water, jerry cans for fuel. Sat phone and/or PLB, UHF radio. Gas canister stove and collapsible, fire pit, fridge and boxes with animal resistant lids for non perishable foods, cooking pots and pans and cutlery etc, Shovel, portable chemical toilet in areas where required. Collapsible chairs and table. Good first aid kit. A decent toolkit, axe, saw etc. recovery gear

Last edited:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Great thread.

For me the last 10 years or so has been all about reducing weight and size. That usually means better quality gear (unfortunately with a higher cost), and replacing bulky 4wd focused gear with the things I would take with me on overnight/multinight hiking trips in a backpack.
One exception I have resisted though is my swag, which these days I put on a stretcher. For long weekends etc I'll often use my 2 man hiking tent, but for longer trips the swag goes in, although when you think about it, with the need for more gear on extended trips, replacing the swag with the tent makes more sense.
I also carry a full sized camping chair rather than something like the Helinox hiking chair - it's nice to be proper comfortable around the campfire.

With the interior of the IG being smaller than my last two vehicles (100 and 200 Series LC) I'll probably need to refine my gear list even more.

Aluminium camping tables that roll up into a bag similar in size to a camping chair are also good - flat tables can be a pain to store. Roll up aluminium ones are also lighter, but not as strong.

Also because the IG has so much height in the back, I reckon one of these or similar would be a must as well:

https://www.kaon.com.au/standalone-rear-roof-shelf-to-suit-toyota-landcrui~1268

Something to keep a camping chair and other things that are always going in and out every time you stop would be handy.

KS0409.jpg

@globalgregors - An Aussie alternative to the Front Runner BBQ plate is the Biji barbi - Biji Barbi

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Question to my Australian brethren, I have been thinking about doing a swag instead of a tent. Do you guys attach them to the roof because of size. Also, what do you recommend?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Question to my Australian brethren, I have been thinking about doing a swag instead of a tent. Do you guys attach them to the roof because of size. Also, what do you recommend?
Yes to roof, usually in a weatherproof bag. Darche Dusk to Dawn worth a look, dome style.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes to roof, usually in a weatherproof bag. Darche Dusk to Dawn worth a look, dome style.

On the roofrack in a waterproof bag, or if I’m traveling solo I’ll often throw it on the back seat. Mines a king single.

Dome swags are all the go, and in my experience either just rolled out on the ground (I put some shade cloth under and beside it to deal with dirt / sand) or on a camp stretcher where the weather is average or you want to keep it all off the ground. Or a lot of us old farts just don’t like to get up off the ground anymore. I’ll often put my swag under the awning beside the car if there’s a chance of rain. My existing Burke & Wills swag is pretty good in the rain anyway.

My next swag will be one of these from Crashpad Gear I think. Really good reviews and I know a couple of guys with them and they rate them.

They’re generally not as waterproof in really heavy rain as a good quality hiking tent.

Crashpad Gear Swags

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Biji Barbi looks like what we'd call a discada around here. Made from an agricultural plow disc or as a friend of mine made one, from a steel wheel hammered into a disc and the center hub and lug holes welded closed with a plate. Apparently the cooking technique was adopted from the Chinese railroad workers in the southwestern US during the 1800's.

https://www.southwestdisk.com/southwest-discada-cooking-plow-disks/

I plan to get one, and they're great for overlanding / camp cooking!

ETA: +1 to the Kermit chair. Hugely popular in the USA BMW Motorrad community.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've been attempting a minimalist approach for several years, but hadn't been all that successful until I decided to see what I could accomplish by restricting myself to a single "Flinders Ranges" framed canvas backpack which I bought in 1967 for bush-walking trips:rolleyes:. Two such backpacks containing clothes and cooking and eating utensils; a Bushman car fridge; lightweight Helinox chairs (x2); a Mountain Designs folding aluminium table; MSR Dragon-fly stove with sound dampener (to stop it sounding like a jet engine on full thrust); a couple of tarps for shelter, pegs, aluminium extendable poles etc. That lot weighed less than 75 kg. Then there was 40L water, a portable toilet (a Jimmy's Thunderbox) and a 17Kg Oasis roof Top Tent which also sets up on the ground (a bit like a cot tent)..another 65-70Kg.
So around 150kg total including dry foods for a week of comfortable dry camping even in wet weather.
Instead of a heavy awning, a couple of tarps strung to the roof rack /or Grenadier roof rails suffice...
Judging by the way all this (except the RTT) packed into a Santa Fe with the rear seat folded with room to spare means it will easily fit into the Grenadier...
The less I need to carry on the roof, the better.
EDIT:
The 'picnic' table on the rear door of the Grenadier, and the option of hanging folding garment bags and other bits and pieces from the cargo barrier (DIY MOLLE system) and the utility rail/roof rails when camped, offers the chance of yet another re-think on efficient packing without compromising the interior flexibility with fixed drawer systems etc

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:07 PM
Reaction score
Where I'm from, that sounds like "glamping". My idea of minimalist overlanding is when I head out with a Yeti cooler and a sleeping bag in the back of my VW Alltrack.
It's even more minimalist on Google Maps.

AWo

Local time
7:07 PM
Reaction score
That's what I consider as minimalistic (BTW, these trips has been the best we've ever made...):

Car:
- Land Rover Series 2a 109", Softtop (close to the elements...😘), the rest is pure metal.
Setup:
- Wooden panel with a mattress on it to sleep in the back
- Cooler (for keeping meat cold for us and the dog, maybe also one or two beers)
- Two camping seats (the tailgate is the table)
- One set of dish for me and my wife and the dog and for cooking
- A barbecue
- A gas cooking stove
- A black Swiss Army waterskin (carried in the spare wheel onthe hood during the day) for hot water and showering in the evening
- Some clothing
Full stop.

IMG_20160709_165933.jpg
R_LR-Serie_Pyrenaeen_1696.jpg

R_LR-Serie_Pyrenaeen_1526.jpg

Sonntag_4.jpg

Cheers
AWo

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
That's what I consider as minimalistic (BTW, these trips has been the best we've ever made...):
Car:
- Land Rover Series 2a 109", Softtop (close to the elements...😘), the rest is pure metal.
Setup:
I also have a 109 old Series LWB
But it is clear your wife is very different to mine!

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:07 AM
Reaction score
Great thread.

For me the last 10 years or so has been all about reducing weight and size. That usually means better quality gear (unfortunately with a higher cost), and replacing bulky 4wd focused gear with the things I would take with me on overnight/multinight hiking trips in a backpack.
One exception I have resisted though is my swag, which these days I put on a stretcher. For long weekends etc I'll often use my 2 man hiking tent, but for longer trips the swag goes in, although when you think about it, with the need for more gear on extended trips, replacing the swag with the tent makes more sense.
I also carry a full sized camping chair rather than something like the Helinox hiking chair - it's nice to be proper comfortable around the campfire.

With the interior of the IG being smaller than my last two vehicles (100 and 200 Series LC) I'll probably need to refine my gear list even more.

Aluminium camping tables that roll up into a bag similar in size to a camping chair are also good - flat tables can be a pain to store. Roll up aluminium ones are also lighter, but not as strong.

Also because the IG has so much height in the back, I reckon one of these or similar would be a must as well:

https://www.kaon.com.au/standalone-rear-roof-shelf-to-suit-toyota-landcrui~1268

Something to keep a camping chair and other things that are always going in and out every time you stop would be handy.

View attachment 7809510

@globalgregors - An Aussie alternative to the Front Runner BBQ plate is the Biji barbi - Biji Barbi
I messaged Kaon and they said they'd waint to see what the market demand is before they produce something

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I swear by my Darche Airvolution swag, i put it on a stretcher, had it in hail rain etc without issue, no poles to break and inflates in seconds
1682594098477.jpeg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
See my post above re Darche Airvolution, fits perfectly on a stretcher no need for poles or guy ropes

Back
Top Bottom