The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Minimalist Overlanding in a Grenadier

AWo

Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
First time that I hear, that batteries could stay connected. Sometime you even have to remove them.

AWo

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:46 AM
Reaction score
When shipping from port of London we loaded ourselves and someone came in and strapped and chocked them. No mention of disconnecting batteries
In Rotterdam only starter batteries disconnected not service/auxiliary battery.
It’s the electric car comment about not disconnecting electric car batteries that got me especially in light of the car transporter on fire at the moment

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
7:46 PM
Reaction score
Biji Barbi looks like what we'd call a discada around here. Made from an agricultural plow disc or as a friend of mine made one, from a steel wheel hammered into a disc and the center hub and lug holes welded closed with a plate. Apparently the cooking technique was adopted from the Chinese railroad workers in the southwestern US during the 1800's.

https://www.southwestdisk.com/southwest-discada-cooking-plow-disks/

I plan to get one, and they're great for overlanding / camp cooking!

ETA: +1 to the Kermit chair. Hugely popular in the USA BMW Motorrad community.
A wok by another name........

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Liberty is strapped down in a container with a Landcruiser awaiting loading onto the ship to Cape Town
Do they do anything to limit or lock out suspension sway?

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Actually Southern Africa is easy to self drive. And if going for a while is cheaper to send your own vehicle than hiring plus you can go anywhere in your own and technically no off road in hire cars and they all have trackers.
very jealous of your impending trip. Out of interest, what sort of cash is it to ship and insure the Gren down to SA? Shipping to Cape Town or Durban?

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
very jealous of your impending trip. Out of interest, what sort of cash is it to ship and insure the Gren down to SA? Shipping to Cape Town or Durban?
£2300 one way in shared container, one other vehicle in container. inc all handling and paperwork. Hand the vehicle over this end and pick up the other end ready to go. €430 insurance. In the past I havnt bothered with insurance but with a new vehicle I thought it would be best to insure. Ship to Cape Town because that’s where the guy who arranges all this is based. Have done it before and know a few who’ve done it so confident all ok.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
£2300 one way in shared container, one other vehicle in container. inc all handling and paperwork. Hand the vehicle over this end and pick up the other end ready to go. €430 insurance. In the past I havnt bothered with insurance but with a new vehicle I thought it would be best to insure. Ship to Cape Town because that’s where the guy who arranges all this is based. Have done it before and know a few who’ve done it so confident all ok.
That’s awesome value. I’ve been toying with an Africa trip for years. I used to work for the AA so have a solid understanding of the carnet requirements, border faffing and was troubled by the return trip in terms of time. Shipping one way never occurred and starting in South Africa and driving home, is very compelling.
I hope you’re doing a travel blog, or just post stuff on the forum. I have been following the Kenyan Grenadier on YouTube and he’s giving it large on corrugated track and lake beds with no trouble it seems.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That’s awesome value. I’ve been toying with an Africa trip for years. I used to work for the AA so have a solid understanding of the carnet requirements, border faffing and was troubled by the return trip in terms of time. Shipping one way never occurred and starting in South Africa and driving home, is very compelling.
I hope you’re doing a travel blog, or just post stuff on the forum. I have been following the Kenyan Grenadier on YouTube and he’s giving it large on corrugated track and lake beds with no trouble it seems.
We are not sure about shipping back yet. In two minds whether to ship back to U.K. for the start of another adventure or ship from Cape Town to South America. Let’s see how this adventure goes then we make a plan. This six month tour will be split in two, as family commitments over Christmas in the U.K. then a detour to Uganda for a primate tracking tour then onwards to Cape Town to reunite with Liberty the Grenadier. Happy days. 😎

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We are not sure about shipping back yet. In two minds whether to ship back to U.K. for the start of another adventure or ship from Cape Town to South America. Let’s see how this adventure goes then we make a plan. This six month tour will be split in two, as family commitments over Christmas in the U.K. then a detour to Uganda for a primate tracking tour then onwards to Cape Town to reunite with Liberty the Grenadier. Happy days. 😎
South America is great, I have driven off road from bariloche to Bernardo O’Higgins via Puerto Mont. I can highly recommend it. You’re not going to get eaten by lions, catch any nasty diseases the wine is excellent, people friendly and the scenery is amazing.. We rented a jeep wrangler and a suzuki vitara for six of us. The Suzuki was a revelation. Was a mix of camping, lodges and hostels.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Contact Duncan Johnson at African Overlanders for shipping . A good bloke 👍🏼
I’ve been following the Kenyan Grenadier also. Inspiring.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:46 AM
Reaction score
Hope this helps.
We are two people. Husband and wife. Yes we will bush camp when away from any villages or remote enough. Mainly we will camp in camp sites whether that is en route or in National Parks. Many of the more remote camps especially in Botswana have no facilities at all excepting long drop loos and you can’t always use them if animals are around. Check this and many others on utube. 😂.
View: https://youtu.be/yQRBldCxfX0

We will be using a Campmor safari Bella Vista tent with ex army camp beds with Berghaus air 10 mattresses. (Super comfy) . Ostrich wing awning fitted to left side. Fold up camp table by Hi Gear.
5x 20L explosion proof Jerry cans for petrol. 5x 20L water jerry cans. 2x 100watt portable suitcase style solar panels
2x Oztent folding chairs again very comfy. One box tools. 2box sundries inc spare filters, brake pads and electrical repair kit, two part epoxy, cable ties, wire, nuts n bolts etc. Mr Funnel filter for taking fuel from roadside sources. Coleman twin burner petrol stove that we’ve had for years and wouldn’t be without. Box of kitchen/cooking kit. A luxury item is our Cobb cooker which is charcoal fired and great for bread or roast foods but is quite bulky.
View attachment 7821028View attachment 7821027ARB 47L fridge
Tmax compressor, deflator, tyre levers and tyre repair kit. Machete and silky saw. Shovel. Recovery kit inc shackles, straps, winch extension, soft shackles etc. 2x spare tyres on rims. 4x recovery tracks, hi-lift jack. Camera equipment. 30L Drum as a semi automatic washing machine.😎
A big bag of cheap reading glasses of different strengths as gifts and small bribe for awkward officials.
Old cameras and phones as gifts for friends in Malawi or as a gift for a really corrupt and persistent official, but we do try not make a habit of that but useful on occasion.
A few other bits and pieces I can’t think of now but that’s the bulk of it. I would love to take an OBD2 tool/code reader with me but as far as I’m aware not available yet for the Grenadier.
Note some of the lighter items such as chairs and washing drum will go on the roof rack when touring but for shipping all inside.
It’s worth taking even a generic OBD device. Worst case it will show a code it doesn’t know. This however would be helpful to remotely located assistance who may be able to thereby diagnose a fault without seeing the car. You can also use the reader to clear codes after an attempted fix. We had a non-LR device on our trip and used it as described with some success. Also useful to monitor live data not available on standard displays. Safe travels!

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s worth taking even a generic OBD device. Worst case it will show a code it doesn’t know. This however would be helpful to remotely located assistance who may be able to thereby diagnose a fault without seeing the car. You can also use the reader to clear codes after an attempted fix. We had a non-LR device on our trip and used it as described with some success. Also useful to monitor live data not available on standard displays. Safe travels!
Thanks 👍🏼. Funnily enough I was thinking of you today @globalgregors as I hadn’t seen you active on the forum lately. Or maybe I just missed your posts as the forum is a busy place now.
I had an evo lynx for the Defender puma and that worked well linked to the iPad.
Does anyone have a recommendation for the Grenadier ?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
While I have no experience with the BMW world of fault finding, I am leaning towards (the bottom end of ) the range of Bosch code readers ( given that Bosch are the "world" 'service' partners). I'd like to know if they also cover the ecu for the ZF box.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks 👍🏼. Funnily enough I was thinking of you today @globalgregors as I hadn’t seen you active on the forum lately. Or maybe I just missed your posts as the forum is a busy place now.
I had an evo lynx for the Defender puma and that worked well linked to the iPad.
Does anyone have a recommendation for the Grenadier ?
Indeed, I’ve been somewhat distracted on the work front for the last month or two.
Need that delivery so I can escape into the desert!

I used a Foxwell diagnostics code reader if that helps… might upgrade to a scan tool next time.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
They will drive the car in then disconnect battery when vehicle is strapped and chocked in place.
Sounds weird. Space left in a container with a car inside is close to nothing.

A 40' container has a width of 2.350 mm inside. The grenadier is 1930 mm without mirrors, so with at least 30mm space on one side there are at best only only 39 centimeters left on the other side. If you open the door up to 39 cm on the outside, there are hardly 19 cm free space left at the rear door gap. Almost impossible to get to the batteries. So they will likely have to climb in and flip the seats forward one after the other.

I recommend to tape some fabric covers to the rear seats and to tape the edges of the rear doors which will touch the container's sidewall with some foam (duct tape).

Forget about liability: if it happened, it happened - and no one is to blame. And you will not want to spend a week with arguing.

EDIT: I've just seen that I was too late. I wonder how emaciated they are to make it into the car.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom