The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Minimalist Overlanding in a Grenadier

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
Sounds weird. Space left in a container with a car inside is close to nothing.

A 40' container has a width of 2.350 mm inside. The grenadier is 1930 mm without mirrors, so with at least 30mm space on one side there are at best only only 39 centimeters left on the other side. If you open the door up to 39 cm on the outside, there are hardly 19 cm free space left at the rear door gap. Almost impossible to get to the batteries. So they will likely have to climb in and flip the seats forward one after the other.

I recommend to tape some fabric covers to the rear seats and to tape the edges of the rear doors which will touch the container's sidewall with some foam (duct tape).

Forget about liability: if it happened, it happened - and no one is to blame. And you will not want to spend a week with arguing.

EDIT: I've just seen that I was too late. I wonder how emaciated they are to make it into the car.
It’s a two seater and parked tight to one side in the container. Agreed if you’re big you won’t get out of the door. I could just in my Defender but that is narrower. As long as it arrives in one piece then I’m fine with it. It will have scratches and dents by the time my travels are finished so I’m not that precious. I’ve bought it to use it and really don’t mind about cosmetic damage as long as it’s mechanically sound. I’m certainly not the sort of person to wash it every week or have it coated in protective wrapping 👍🏼

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We’ve got Liberty back so the adventure begins. African adventure begins. All in perfect order it needed a real skinny guy to squeeze in through the drivers side rear door to reconnect the batteries 😳
I’m not big but I couldn’t squeeze in to do it
Anyway all done batteries still at over 90%
diff lock lights on for a few minutes initially then all cleared. No warning signs or lights.
Straight to Gobi X and R&D off-road to get awning fitted and pick up bits and pieces. They have a great set up manufacturing and fitting All 4x4 kit IMG_0244.jpegIMG_0249.jpeg
More info to follow but super exiting

Attachments

• IMG_2284.jpeg
    IMG_2284.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 78

IGL

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
We’ve got Liberty back so the adventure begins. African adventure begins. All in perfect order it needed a real skinny guy to squeeze in through the drivers side rear door to reconnect the batteries 😳
diff lock lights on for a few minutes initially then all cleared. No warning signs or lights.
Straight to Gobi X and R&D off-road to get awning fitted and pick up bits and pieces. They have a great set up manufacturing and fitting All 4x4 kit View attachment 7827563View attachment 7827568
I wish you a good and exciting trip. And so cool that the tension belt on the roof shows the red A. ;)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
it needed a real skinny guy to squeeze in through the drivers side rear door to reconnect the batteries
But how did you get in and out when you were driving the Grenadier in and out?

And how much were the shipping costs (in one direction or in both directions) ?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
Straight to Gobi X and R&D off-road to get awning fitted and pick up bits and pieces. They have a great set up manufacturing and fitting All 4x4 kit View attachment 7827563View attachment 7827568
Godspeed on your journey.
KEEP. US. POSTED.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
I am told that on the Ute model the rear seat is 4” further forward.
How is that accomplished?
Is the dual battery tub further forward? Or different seat brackets?

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I c
But how did you get in and out when you were driving the Grenadier in and out?

And how much were the shipping costs (in one direction or in both directions) ?
I could get in the front door no problem but too tight in the back door for me. I could squeeze in enough to reconnect the auxiliary battery but had to get the young lad on site to squeeze in and lean over to connect the starter battery.
£2300 one way all in. No paperwork on my side just hand over in Rotterdam and collect in Cape Town.
Shipped with Duncan Johnson of African Overlanders who I’ve used before. Good efficient service and very competitive on price. He must heve over 50 overland vehicles on site either for storage or awaiting shipping. Well recommended.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am told that on the Ute model the rear seat is 4” further forward.
How is that accomplished?
Is the dual battery tub further forward? Or different seat brackets?
My model is a two seat commercial version so whole floor is flat and battery box lid folds up towards the front seats. Photo attached of the skinny lad who managed to squeeze in to reconnect the starter battery 😂IMG_2282.jpeg

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I c

I could get in the front door no problem but too tight in the back door for me. I could squeeze in enough to reconnect the auxiliary battery but had to get the young lad on site to squeeze in and lean over to connect the starter battery.
£2300 one way all in. No paperwork on my side just hand over in Rotterdam and collect in Cape Town.
Shipped with Duncan Johnson of African Overlanders who I’ve used before. Good efficient service and very competitive on price. He must heve over 50 overland vehicles on site either for storage or awaiting shipping. Well recommended.
Very jealous and looking forward to your trip updates.

Chris T

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
Yes to roof, usually in a weatherproof bag. Darche Dusk to Dawn worth a look, dome style.

Darche dawn to dust swag on a Darche stretcher to keep you off the ground and makes it harder for the crocs to get in.

Pelican cases are great for waterproof storage, one as the kitchen, one as the pantry.

(Picture is pre-Grenadier obviously)

Attachments

• 72011557-7A02-426F-AFAA-7824A92ADA6A.jpeg
    72011557-7A02-426F-AFAA-7824A92ADA6A.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 81

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Chris T
I applaud the use of 2 'Pelican/cargo' cases as pantry and kitchen... that setup seems to offer more flexibility for a Grenadier than fitting out with a sliding kitchen. I'm still coming to terms with the best setup for minimalist travelling. There were days of yore when we'd pack everything in a backpack. 2 backpacks in the boot plus a tool roll and tarp and hiking tent. Today we seem to carry half a camping store... 🙄

Chris T

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Chris T
I applaud the use of 2 'Pelican/cargo' cases as pantry and kitchen... that setup seems to offer more flexibility for a Grenadier than fitting out with a sliding kitchen. I'm still coming to terms with the best setup for minimalist travelling. There were days of yore when we'd pack everything in a backpack. 2 backpacks in the boot plus a tool roll and tarp and hiking tent. Today we seem to carry half a camping store... 🙄
I’ve discovered that a Kings 45l fridge placed longitudinally and the smaller Pelican cases (like in the photo) placed horizontally fit perfectly in the back of the Grenadier, like Tetris blocks!

Local time
Reaction score
Space cases make a good interlocking light storage system easy to tie down and dust proof. Easy to reconfigure the car back to every day use. This is the set up I used for a kitchen and cleaning and the other set up for cooking and utensil storage when touring. I ended up changing the sink to another removable surface, great for the back of a ute. Sealed the removable timber surfaces with bench top sealer to make easy cleaning.

Kitchen case 3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom