The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Ineos Grenadier - rejected

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
I think this is spot on. I truly admire the saint-like patience I've read about from owners on this forum.

My growing dread is in being made to feel like a fool holding a very expensive bag, and my sense of things is that this isn't ready for the demands of the US market. Not just the product, but mainly the post-sale support and product engineering. We are fortunate to have many choices when it comes to vehicles that fit this purpose, give or take, assuming such a large risk on one at this price level just isn't necessary. Sure, all cars have recalls. But the big guys make them easier and faster to address.

If you're ok with a project car, there's probably nothing better, and that's great. But some of us are looking for transportation and reliable off-road capability. When things break, we need someone to fix it reasonably quickly or at least a path to do it ourselves so we can get back out there. I want this company to work out so bad, it pains me to see all of these troubles and missteps. Some of them seem so elementary and avoidable.

Gonna cancel my order to make room for someone else that really wants or needs it. Will check back in a few years. Good luck guys!
Hi Joefly
Very well written and wishing you every success with whatever you choose.

Reactions: Max

roadfever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score
But if Grenadier doesn't make it in the US (and I do expect them to succeed), I have one of the few to be here. Time to park it for 20 years and sell it for Millions! :p

To tack on to that thought, the IG is almost certainly the last combustion engine, factory built, specific to overlanding/offroad/touring designed vehicle we'll see. It's a niche market and none of the current slate of manufacturers is willing to spend any time or money catering to it. Most are going for pure volume or if not, they're going for the ultra-high dollar 'suburban utility vehicle' market. Who knows if there's a long run here or not but either way you're probably not going to see this type of manufacture again.

Also, it's not boring.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
And IIRC they weren’t flying off the lots when new.
Beauty creeps up on you;)
To tack on to that thought, the IG is almost certainly the last combustion engine, factory built, specific to overlanding/offroad/touring designed vehicle we'll see. It's a niche market and none of the current slate of manufacturers is willing to spend any time or money catering to it. Most are going for pure volume or if not, they're going for the ultra-high dollar 'suburban utility vehicle' market. Who knows if there's a long run here or not but either way you're probably not going to see this type of manufacture again.

Also, it's not boring.
Absolutely...As I have said before...Heart and Soul v's Money and Mass

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:00 AM
Reaction score

Also, it's not boring.
You absolutely nailed it. For one, lets not forget that this vehicle ONLY exists as a pet project for a Billionaire. Period. Not to make money. Not for the masses. So he could literally step away or get bored at any moment and POOF the car is off the market. And we are left with one of the most purpose built vehicles ever put on the market. Or they stay in business, and keep advancing and developing for many years to come. Either way it seems like a win-win for owners.

don't ignore warning ligh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I generally do my due diligence but challenging in this instance. Never paid this much for a vehicle before and for one that wasn’t even available to test drive! Thankfully, despite some teething issues including half freezing in this weather with a dodgy heater system, I have no regrets so far. 8000 miles and counting. Watch this space though. 😊
I wish I had done my due diligence before buying a Grenadier. I have learnt my lesson and going forward will never buy a new car from a company that is not a member of the UK Motor Association Ombudsman scheme. How did I miss that big red flag !

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wish I had done my due diligence before buying a Grenadier. I have learnt my lesson and going forward will never buy a new car from a company that is not a member of the UK Motor Association Ombudsman scheme. How did I miss that big red flag !
I have seen at least 4 posts referencing the UK Ombudsman Scheme - please explain the advantage of such a scheme to someone who hasn't got a Scooby?

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have seen at least 4 posts referencing the UK Ombudsman Scheme - please explain the advantage of such a scheme to someone who hasn't got a Scooby?
I would also be interested to know how the Ombudsman Scheme helps the customer?

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think this is spot on. I truly admire the saint-like patience I've read about from owners on this forum.

My growing dread is in being made to feel like a fool holding a very expensive bag, and my sense of things is that this isn't ready for the demands of the US market. Not just the product, but mainly the post-sale support and product engineering. We are fortunate to have many choices when it comes to vehicles that fit this purpose, give or take, assuming such a large risk on one at this price level just isn't necessary. Sure, all cars have recalls. But the big guys make them easier and faster to address.

If you're ok with a project car, there's probably nothing better, and that's great. But some of us are looking for transportation and reliable off-road capability. When things break, we need someone to fix it reasonably quickly or at least a path to do it ourselves so we can get back out there. I want this company to work out so bad, it pains me to see all of these troubles and missteps. Some of them seem so elementary and avoidable.

Gonna cancel my order to make room for someone else that really wants or needs it. Will check back in a few years. Good luck guys!
I am sure you feel deflated, but well said and sound decision. I am in the reject queue as you will have seen, and just wish I could have a 10 minute meeting face to face with Sir Jim.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Where it works the ombudsman service provides a way of settling disputes without the recourse to law and at lower cost. The disgruntled customer does not have to engage a solicitor, potentially become liable for the other parties costs and pay for a Court claim. For the manufacturer/dealer, the adjudication is supposed to be binding and again at lower cost. The disgruntled customer still has recourse to the Courts if they are still unhappy.

IMHO it is a boys club and if there is a genuine claim, going to the Courts is usually more likely to get a satisfactory outcome. Most claims are settled before the Court date, but you need to have done your homework to be taken seriously.

Local time
Reaction score
Article isn't really wrong about their assessment of the Grenadier but the title ...... "Biggest car fails of the 21st Century So Far":

It certainly doesn't bode well for prospective buyers:(

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Article isn't really wrong about their assessment of the Grenadier but the title ...... "Biggest car fails of the 21st Century So Far":

2024 just started! Click bait.

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
What problems did you have with your Grenadier?

There's always a few disaster stories with any vehicle.
One of my customers bought a new (old type) Defender back in 2016 and it leaked water into the cabin. The dealer tried to fix it and couldn't so he tried to reject it.
We weren't talking damp carpet, there was an inch of water in the rear after heavy rain.

The dealer refused to exchange it so he attached his trailer and parked across the entrance to their workshops at the back of the building.

He was soon offered a replacement Defender, which has proved to be fault free, and no leaks.
I remember reading about 5hat one! Good on him.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
Calling it one of the greatest fails when the plant is cranking them out and over 40,000 are sold, and they are just being delivered....Fiat sold a few hundred clunkers in the US last year, now THATS A FAIL!

Local time
Reaction score
Calling it one of the greatest fails when the plant is cranking them out and over 40,000 are sold, and they are just being delivered....Fiat sold a few hundred clunkers in the US last year, now THATS A FAIL!
The IG is certainly not an Aztec:). Unfortunate it was in the article.

reauxheaux

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Well if Robb Report is saying it then it has to be true.

They are also on Knob Creek 12 as their best bourbon. So...yep.

Back
Top Bottom