The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

First oil change

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score

Pete Brown

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
10:13 PM
Reaction score
I changed mine yesterday at 777miles. It is a very simple process on an easily accessible vehicle. I was initially shocked when I found first the filter housing, but the filter was easy removed/replaced. I am 6'4" tall, and I still stood on a milk crate with a mechanic's mat on the wing to lean on - it's a stretch!.

I plan on 5k mile change intervals, with possibly one more at 2k 🤷‍♂️
Thanks Tom. That’s just what I needed to know. How about getting underneath to the drain plug. Do I need jack stands to raise the chassis to remove the oil drain plug? I used to change the oil on my ‘92 Isuzu Trooper and could barely just squeeze under.

Pete Brown

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
10:13 PM
Reaction score
I changed mine yesterday at 777miles. It is a very simple process on an easily accessible vehicle. I was initially shocked when I found first the filter housing, but the filter was easy removed/replaced. I am 6'4" tall, and I still stood on a milk crate with a mechanic's mat on the wing to lean on - it's a stretch!.

I plan on 5k mile change intervals, with possibly one more at 2k 🤷‍♂️
Also, I am on board for your oil change interval. Manufacturer’s recommendations are targeted to get past warranty limits, not necessarily to optimize engine life before overhaul.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. That’s just what I needed to know. How about getting underneath to the drain plug. Do I need jack stands to raise the chassis to remove the oil drain plug? I used to change the oil on my ‘92 Isuzu Trooper and could barely just squeeze under.
unless you are obese you will fit under the vehicle without the need for axle stands/jack etc.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score
unless you are obese you will fit under the vehicle without the need for axle stands/jack etc.
Yes, I could reach the drain plug from the from of the car. Laying an a creeper cuts your access/clearance, but just laying on the ground/cardboard it's pretty accessible. The multi-link suspension has more parts than I'm used to. It made for interesting arm positions as I ran my breather lines yesterday!

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:13 AM
Reaction score
I am having an issue with my first DIY oil change on the B58 gasoline. I drained the oil and replaced the filter then refilled with 6.8qts of oil. I then drove it for a couple of miles, pulled back in the garage and ran the electronic oil check. I was a bit surprised when it came back saying Refill 1.0I and after I ran the test I am getting a message on the screen saying low oil, WTF. I did re-drive my short stint to make sure there was not a catastrophic oil release anywhere along the route but all was good there.

So question given the pretty poor state of information in the manual, does the engine change need additional oil when changing the filter or does it take the computer a bit of driving before you get an accurate reading? I am perplexed.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
7.6 quarts did the trick, no warning lights and double OKs. This is a great Forum-thanks Adam!
So, I'm guessing the filter canister volume is not included in the oil spec?
Are they recommending not changing the filter with every oil change?

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Krabby. Yep, the owners manual says 6.8qts for the B58 (my converter says 6.87 qt = 6.5L). I ended up putting in about 7.2L and got the double OKs.
I too had a touch over 7 qts/liters. My mechanic was conservative with adding additional oil as evidently in the past B58 engines had a bad habit of indicating "low" and would end up with a extra qrt or more in the engine. He's an ex BMW mechanic.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I know it's not just BMW, but relying on a computer to check something that is really easy the old fashioned way seems foolish. Sure, the computer aspect makes it more foolproof for the average person, but not including a dipstick is short sighted IMO.

NoMoTaco

Global Grenadier 0742
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I know it's not just BMW, but relying on a computer to check something that is really easy the old fashioned way seems foolish. Sure, the computer aspect makes it more foolproof for the average person, but not including a dipstick is short sighted IMO.
mood GIF

Back
Top Bottom