The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

First oil change

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:42 AM
Reaction score
For those inclined to change their own oil, FCP Euro (USA) has an oil change kit (7 liters of the correct BMV oil and the correct oil filter, o-ring, and drain plug gasket for about $132.00. Because it’s a Grenny, everything is more or less in easy reach.

You will need:
1) Socket wrench and 17mm (drain plug) and 32mm ( oil filter cap) sockets.

2) Possibly a socket extender and universal joint

3) torque wrench

4) rags

4) 6.5 liters 0-20W, ACEA C2, BMW LL 17FE ( from Grenadier manual), new filter, o-ring, and drain plug copper washer. (Note… several owners have noted that you will in fact need a bit more than 7 liters to fully replace the oil.. better by an extra liter and save the remains for the next oil change as well.)

Oil reservoir cap and drain plug torque : 25Nm

SKU:KIT-11427826799KTFCP

OE Numbers​

11428583898, 11427826799, 83212365954, 83212461988, 83215A2AFC5

MFG Numbers​

N/A

This Kit Includes​

QtyPartSKUBrandPrice
1Engine Oil FilterBMW-11427826799
Genuine bmw
$24.49
7Engine OilBMW-83215A2AFC5
Genuine bmw
$107.03
Very helpful to have all that info on one reference sheet! Thanks!

ethree

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Different manufacturers have different recommendations. I recall buying a new car a while back and I talked to the service guys, and told them I was going to change the oil after 500 or maybe 750 miles, to eliminate any metal shavings from the engine in those first few hundred miles. They told me that (1) newer engines don't drop shavings the way older ones did, and (2) the oil installed from the factory is a different blend - specifically designed for the first few thousand miles, and that I should wait until at least 2,000 miles before draining it. I don't know if that was true, but I waited until 2k. It would be nice if there were a bunch of Ineos-trained Grenadier techs available. In the mean time, I'd talk to some BMW techs and see what they recommend. In any case, no way I wait 12,000 miles.
Just scheduling for change just above the 2k mark.

Grapa

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I did my first before 700 miles in Boise, and as I recall it was $200 - 300.

I had my local shop do one at 6267 miles for ~$230

Inside the 50k warranty period, I'll do the annual maintenance (R) with a dealer. Hopefully we get one a bit closer to home in the next few months.

Also note the QR code provided in the Owners Manual PDF is broken.

This is the maintenance schedule provided.

View attachment 7857458
Has anyone waited to change the oil as the maintenance Ineos schedule is? (12.000 miles). I’m at 4.200 miles and haven’t done the oil change yet. Just curious..

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone waited to change the oil as the maintenance Ineos schedule is? (12.000 miles). I’m at 4.200 miles and haven’t done the oil change yet. Just curious..
I'm sure plenty have, but I have no idea why anyone would. I'll be doing mine every 6k - per the recommendation for severe duty.

Robert T

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:42 PM
Reaction score
For those inclined to change their own oil, FCP Euro (USA) has an oil change kit (7 liters of the correct BMV oil and the correct oil filter, o-ring, and drain plug gasket for about $132.00. Because it’s a Grenny, everything is more or less in easy reach.

You will need:
1) Socket wrench and 17mm (drain plug) and 32mm ( oil filter cap) sockets.

2) Possibly a socket extender and universal joint

3) torque wrench

4) rags

4) 6.5 liters 0-20W, ACEA C2, BMW LL 17FE ( from Grenadier manual), new filter, o-ring, and drain plug copper washer. (Note… several owners have noted that you will in fact need a bit more than 7 liters to fully replace the oil.. better by an extra liter and save the remains for the next oil change as well.)

Oil reservoir cap and drain plug torque : 25Nm

SKU:KIT-11427826799KTFCP

OE Numbers​

11428583898, 11427826799, 83212365954, 83212461988, 83215A2AFC5

MFG Numbers​

N/A

This Kit Includes​

QtyPartSKUBrandPrice
1Engine Oil FilterBMW-11427826799
Genuine bmw
$24.49
7Engine OilBMW-83215A2AFC5
Genuine bmw
$107.03
The nice thing about FCP is their lifetime replacement guarantee. You can return used oil, filters, etc for a full credit to your account. You only pay return shipping, which costs me about $35. With a cost of only $35 I do my oil changes every 3-4k miles. Did that on my LR3 and LR4 and will do the same on the Grenadier.

Grapa

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm sure plenty have, but I have no idea why anyone would. I'll be doing mine every 6k - per the recommendation for severe duty.
I’m curious on why Ineos Recommends at 12k for the first oil change? Maybe because it is a detune B58?? anyhow I will be doing mine at 6k and so on.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:42 PM
Reaction score
I’m curious on why Ineos Recommends at 12k for the first oil change? Maybe because it is a detune B58?? anyhow I will be doing mine at 6k and so on.
BMW determines oil change intervals, as the engine is made by BMW.

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
For those of you wanting to change your oil at BMW’s recommend 12,000 mile extended change intervals, please do your due diligence and research the long term negative effects on your BMW engine. There’s plenty of easily accessible information online demonstrating conclusively why this is not a good idea.

You’ve spent a King’s ransom on a great machine. If you plan on keeping it for the long term, you should consider the cost of paying for simple oil changes at least every 6,000 miles ($) (or better yet every 5k and time it to the odometer lining up at “x0,000”, “x5,000” etc so you can easily remember it), versus the substantial costs of any repercussions ($$$$).

Of course, it’s your engine, so do with it as you may.

Last edited:

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oil and change intervals are influenced by many things, including the warranty period, CAFE, emissions, TCO ratings, environmental impact of oil change frequency, etc.

Little concern is given to the life of the engine outside of the warranty period.

ethree

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just scheduling for change just above the 2k mark.
Just went to Curry (Danbury CT) today to have the service performed. GREAT dealership. Mark the head service honcho and his advisor, Lenny, are fantastic. Some tidbits.

First. Clanging. Known thing. Something to do with the shocks I am told. Asked if it happens when I hit a larger rut. Yep. Totally normal. Nothing is breaking—no surprise there. Things a tank.

Second. I did ask about leaks, which I do not have. INEOS did some major upgrades to the door seals. Last problem they fixed was water pooling at the bottom of the doors and mine has the new seals that prevents this along with all the early model issues. Look for holes placed in the bottom of the door seals—they used to be solid. The holes allow drainage as it’s meant to happen. That is the latest, and likely last, update. No leaks with mine at all.

Third. Brake line rubbing. Not present and this issue was a very early fix for the front end. Whatever they did, that problem is fixed.

Fourth. Cooling hose running on steering unit. Not present but if it is present, it’s due to shipping. I guess when these come in, they check for these things.

Fifth. I had the far passenger back up sensor replaced. Normally resets but mine was stubborn. Replaced with no trouble.

Curry is simply fantastic. They are moving a lot of iron at their shop and have a very good handle on things. From sales to service—fantastic. I understand that is not the case for everyone but certainly not my experience. These guys are assisting with Fox steering mods (if a customer wants it). I see no need for it (I have no issues with steering) BUT I may put one in. Pretty much plug and play. Waiting to hear more from folks on that.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
Just went to Curry (Danbury CT) today to have the service performed. GREAT dealership. Mark the head service honcho and his advisor, Lenny, are fantastic. Some tidbits.

First. Clanging. Known thing. Something to do with the shocks I am told. Asked if it happens when I hit a larger rut. Yep. Totally normal. Nothing is breaking—no surprise there. Things a tank.

Second. I did ask about leaks, which I do not have. INEOS did some major upgrades to the door seals. Last problem they fixed was water pooling at the bottom of the doors and mine has the new seals that prevents this along with all the early model issues. Look for holes placed in the bottom of the door seals—they used to be solid. The holes allow drainage as it’s meant to happen. That is the latest, and likely last, update. No leaks with mine at all.

Third. Brake line rubbing. Not present and this issue was a very early fix for the front end. Whatever they did, that problem is fixed.

Fourth. Cooling hose running on steering unit. Not present but if it is present, it’s due to shipping. I guess when these come in, they check for these things.

Fifth. I had the far passenger back up sensor replaced. Normally resets but mine was stubborn. Replaced with no trouble.

Curry is simply fantastic. They are moving a lot of iron at their shop and have a very good handle on things. From sales to service—fantastic. I understand that is not the case for everyone but certainly not my experience. These guys are assisting with Fox steering mods (if a customer wants it). I see no need for it (I have no issues with steering) BUT I may put one in. Pretty much plug and play. Waiting to hear more from folks on that.
Glad to hear 👍

Hopefully more proactive and like minded agents to come.

Back
Top Bottom