The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Filler neck on diesel

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
It looks like the inner filler neck on the diesel doesn't suit a high flow pump nozzle. Can anyone confirm?
In Oz, some of the more remote unmanned fuel depots can be high flow only - they're setup for heavy transports.
My current vehicle is like this and I need to use this funnel, which isnt ideal.

Attachments

• IMG_20230629_192621.jpg
    IMG_20230629_192621.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 46

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think someone confirmed it (no hi-flow) in another thread yesterday or the day before.

Shame, as it’s handy.

I think it’s Ampol or BP have some pumps with the standard nozzles that you press a button to convert to hi-flow, but you don’t see them often.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:12 AM
Reaction score
It looks like the inner filler neck on the diesel doesn't suit a high flow pump nozzle. Can anyone confirm?
In Oz, some of the more remote unmanned fuel depots can be high flow only - they're setup for heavy transports.
My current vehicle is like this and I need to use this funnel, which isnt ideal.
Bugger... yep, the inner/semi central QLD routes often have only Hi-Flow. Bugger, gonna have to carry a funnel.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure on the exact size, but I topped up with what I thought was a hiflow nozzle when away. It was bigger than the nozzle on the premium diesel next to it

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure on the exact size, but I topped up with what I thought was a hiflow nozzle when away. It was bigger than the nozzle on the premium diesel next to it
Cheers, you can usually get a larger high flow nozzle past the first opening, but in my photo it looks like there's a deeper 2nd opening with a gate you need to push the nozzle through, and they are sometimes too narrow for a high flow nozzle. Can you recall if you had to push the nozzle through this 2nd opening so that the flow didn't click off and stop?

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Another one for the aftermarket.

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
I can confirm it doesn't take hi flow... very frustrating in remote Australia...

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can confirm it doesn't take hi flow... very frustrating in remote Australia...
I am having the same problem with my current Diesel Mercedes.
I have pulled up to diesel umps several times only to find they are hi-flow and won't fit my vehicle.
Luckily she only takes 69 litres so isn't the end of the world.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Reactions: PBD

Inez

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
The flow volume could cause splashing or blow back out of the neck. I have the adapter but have never used it. Bought it just in case as this was my first diesel vehicle owned.

Reactions: PBD

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my current Diesel Mercedes.
I have pulled up to diesel umps several times only to find they are hi-flow and won't fit my vehicle.
Luckily she only takes 69 litres so isn't the end of the world.
DavB just wondering how you filled up your Merc with the HiFlo. Did you just gingerly squeeze the trigger with the nozzle inserted as best you can? Do you think this will work with the Grenadier?

Local time
Reaction score
The size of the filler hole/neck for diesel is that size to stop the numpties filling up with petrol.
It's another European (really good idea) rule ... (didn't we leave so we could go back to allowing common sense to prevail ?)

Possibly no one @ Ineos knew that in 'other parts of the world' it would be a problem or more likely that you should do the same as Europe because it is the right way.
We can't click the handle catch on auto-fill here either, you can only fill when you manually have the handle/trigger squeezed.
Elf and Safety innit.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The size of the filler hole/neck for diesel is that size to stop the numpties filling up with petrol.
It's another European (really good idea) rule ... (didn't we leave so we could go back to allowing common sense to prevail ?)

Possibly no one @ Ineos knew that in 'other parts of the world' it would be a problem or more likely that you should do the same as Europe because it is the right way.
We can't click the handle catch on auto-fill here either, you can only fill when you manually have the handle/trigger squeezed.
Elf and Safety innit.
My father in law is an extremely handy fellow. He can design, fabricate and build almost anything, and has driven diesels all his life. A few weeks ago he stuck premium petrol in his diesel vehicle, thinking it was premium diesel. Oh the embarrassment (he never dreamed of doing something so stupid), thankfully he realised before he started the engine.
All it takes is being distracted with the issues of life.

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
DavB just wondering how you filled up your Merc with the HiFlo. Did you just gingerly squeeze the trigger with the nozzle inserted as best you can? Do you think this will work with the Grenadier?
This isn't possible with the Ineos without a funnel due to the locking mechanism at the inlet that springs closed unless a nozzle is inserted...( if you are able to open it)

Local time
Reaction score
My father in law is an extremely handy fellow. He can design, fabricate and build almost anything, and has driven diesels all his life. A few weeks ago he stuck premium petrol in his diesel vehicle, thinking it was premium diesel. Oh the embarrassment (he never dreamed of doing something so stupid), thankfully he realised before he started the engine.
All it takes is being distracted with the issues of life.

Sorry to hear that.
Well done for having the presence of mind to not fill the FiP.

Does the Grenny have a drain plug on the tank or is a pump required to empty it ?
One of the things about the old Defenders was that they had a drain plug and a pathway through the baffles.
I was always slightly nervous about that but no one ever tried to steal my diesel

Back
Top Bottom