The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Diesel or Petrol for traveling

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:24 PM
Reaction score
I don't. At least not with the motorbikes.

The Autobahn was once a legend. But today, much has changed. 30% of Autobahns are speed limited. Since the borders have been open, European transit traffic has increased dramatically. They are not very well maintained, and many bridges need to be repaired - resulting in additional speed limits. And if there is no speed limit, it is automatically limited by the sheer volume of traffic.

You can save a lot of fuel by accepting the situation and "going with the flow" of traffic: In daily use, my W203 (Diesel) consumes up to 8l/100 km in the city, less than 6l on country roads and around 5l on the Autobahn (fun-free) if I stay at 110 km/h or below.

The highway is a fuel saver. No traffic lights, no intersections, no speed bumps and everyone is going in the same direction in your direction of travel, which reduces drag.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
As for the "craziness": there are actually some situations where you can legally (!) drive insanely fast. Mostly at night.

But then have fun with animals crossing your path. We don't have roos. But boars, rabbits, deers ... which is fun as well.

Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
And there is the point.

It is the air resistance that burns the fuel. The weight is negligible - on long-distance trips (!). In the city and everywhere where you have to brake, accelerate, brake .... you have a high weight penalty. But not on the highway.

Air resistance, to put it this way, is the big enemy. If there were no air resistance, a vehicle with no more than 10 horsepower could go 350 km/h or more. In the end, it is always air resistance that eats up the energy. Of course, there is also some rolling resistance. But compared to the aerodynamic effects, it is negligible.

And that's exactly the reason why I didn't spec a raised air intake. I don't drive through deserts in Europe, and so it would just increase air drag.
Interesting point on the raised air intake.. I hadn't thought of that. It's probably a fair call too on aero drag. I wonder how much difference it actually makes. I'm pretty sure most of the horrible aero on this type of car is the damage done under the car, which is an utter mess. Lotus had a car from 1959 called the elite which had ground breaking aero at the time. It was completely smooth underneath with all the mechanicals recessed.

In all reality though our car mostly only travels when fully loaded and has a roof rack on the top. And I've had a few waves over the bonnet in my travels.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And there is the point.

It is the air resistance that burns the fuel. The weight is negligible - on long-distance trips (!). In the city and everywhere where you have to brake, accelerate, brake .... you have a high weight penalty. But not on the highway.

Air resistance, to put it this way, is the big enemy. If there were no air resistance, a vehicle with no more than 10 horsepower could go 350 km/h or more. In the end, it is always air resistance that eats up the energy. Of course, there is also some rolling resistance. But compared to the aerodynamic effects, it is negligible.

And that's exactly the reason why I didn't spec a raised air intake. I don't drive through deserts in Europe, and so it would just increase air drag.
But it looks cool and like you do off-road! Could join the 'NEW DEFENDER" club! :whistle:

The air intake for me will get used maybe 5 times a year - I dont plan to cross toooo much water with family onboard. The last time I used air intake was during a flash flooding event (not I didnt cross a river!!!) where the local area went under... about 700mm of water across suburban streets. Ranger went right on through while the Getz was floating over on the left in some poor fellas driveway...

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
But it looks cool and like you do off-road! Could join the 'NEW DEFENDER" club! :whistle:

The air intake for me will get used maybe 5 times a year - I dont plan to cross toooo much water with family onboard. The last time I used air intake was during a flash flooding event (not I didnt cross a river!!!) where the local area went under... about 700mm of water across suburban streets. Ranger went right on through while the Getz was floating over on the left in some poor fellas driveway...
again: the increased air intake (snorkel) has nothing to do with the water depth. it protects you from sucking in dust that is thrown up on dusty roads

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:24 AM
Reaction score
You can save a lot of fuel by accepting the situation and "going with the flow" of traffic:
You certainly can!
I'm sure the amount of fuel consumed above 80km/hr rises non linearly , especially in a brick shaped vehicle!

Local time
Reaction score

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I know, but there are still people who believe they can play submarine with the snorkel. a lot more is needed for this.
and the construction on the grenadier has nothing to do with wading depth

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
again: the increased air intake (snorkel) has nothing to do with the water depth. it protects you from sucking in dust that is thrown up on dusty roads
Well, sort of. An unsealed intake can't withstand immersion but it is certainly helpful dealing with a quick dunk, particularly when paired with a crossing cover ('water bra').

The crossing cover establishes a bow wave which - while forward progress is maintained - keeps the bay relatively dry. Stop however and one could have problems.

Fancy version below. More common is to use a tarp or groundsheet.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Personally I'm not super sure how effective they are at that. If you are following someone on a dirt road the dust is everywhere. :eek:

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/unc...road-to-local-private-school-is-underwater-1/
Pop a sock on/in it. It's then at least easy to whip it off and clean it, much more so than removing the airbox lid & filter.
My vote however is with a cyclone, just not the giant self-cleaning type Ineos offers.

Last edited:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't know. But my guess is a quarter to half a liter per 100 Km - somewhere in this range.
If we are intending to install roof racks, roo bars, LED lighting, side canopies etc the raised air will probably contribute very little to consumption really. When I put an AI on my 09 Ranger, I actually saw no measurable difference in consumption.
The INEOS is already flat faced to road - the AI will probably make it more aerodynamic!!! Or I could be lying!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score

I am moving to an area that has lots of gravel/dirt roads
Hopefully the raised air intake might keep the airfilter cleaner longer

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I am moving to an area that has lots of gravel/dirt roads
Hopefully the raised air intake might keep the airfilter cleaner longer
Pop the hood , remove air cleaner , blow it out with your blower vac
Or pay someone to do it!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score

Attachments

• 1676938857597.png
    1676938857597.png
    299.5 KB · Views: 2

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:24 AM
Reaction score
Interesting point on the raised air intake.. I hadn't thought of that. It's probably a fair call too on aero drag. I wonder how much difference it actually makes. I'm pretty sure most of the horrible aero on this type of car is the damage done under the car, which is an utter mess. Lotus had a car from 1959 called the elite which had ground breaking aero at the time. It was completely smooth underneath with all the mechanicals recessed.

In all reality though our car mostly only travels when fully loaded and has a roof rack on the top. And I've had a few waves over the bonnet in my travels.
interesting you mentioned the underneath of a car, my partners RAV4 is completely covered in flat plastic underneath for less wind resistance

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
interesting you mentioned the underneath of a car, my partners RAV4 is completely covered in flat plastic underneath for less wind resistance
Manufacturers chase every last gram of economy just to stay competitive. It's like an amateur cyclist wearing lycra to reduce wind resistance.
The car buyers drive like loons, and ruin those figures :D

Back
Top Bottom