The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Diesel or Petrol for traveling

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:07 PM
Reaction score
Actually I had to open the bonnet on one and found it unusual that there wasn't a latch under the bonnet
The lever is in the left hand (passenger for RHD) footwell and you have to pull it twice to release the bonnet
On my Disco you pull the lever on the LHD footwell , there is no pop.You then go to the RHS corner of the bonnet and pull hard to pop the latch. Then you release the latch just beneath the V of Land Rover lettering.
Then you put up the metal stay.
It confuses thieves.

Local time
1:07 PM
Reaction score
On my Disco you pull the lever on the LHD footwell , there is no pop.You then go to the RHS corner of the bonnet and pull hard to pop the latch. Then you release the latch just beneath the V of Land Rover lettering.
Then you put up the metal stay.
It confuses thieves.
I realised recently that my defender is becoming unstealable. No one knows how to operate a manual, let alone one with a key that requires turning to start.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I realised recently that my defender is becoming unstealable. No one knows how to operate a manual, let alone one with a key that requires turning to start.
Hmmm ;) 2021 article
"There’s one car that the UK’s most wanted professional car thieves covet, the classic Land Rover Defender. The renowned 4x4 has been a fixture of their “shopping list” of cars to steal for many years. While the increase in sophisticated electronic tools to bypass vehicle security systems is used to steal modern cars, many models of the old-fashioned Defender can be entered and started with “any old key”...."

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
I don't know. But my guess is a quarter to half a liter per 100 Km - somewhere in this range.
Maybe someone who’s interested can work it out on the configurator. Just take a standard Fieldmaster with and without a risen air intake. You can compare the consumption in the technical data sheet for each configuration. At least it worked that way in Germany in the past. AT tyres for example need some extra fuel as well.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
There were times when you better used petrol engines in Algeria, Mauretania and Mali, because the local Tuaregs were very keen on Diesel cars....

Today there are a few issues with Diesel engines where you might run in problems:

- Clogged DPF by slow driving with high refs (desert sand dunes) and no DPF recreation can happen
- Travelling through countries with no winter diesel but high mountains (like South America, Peru for example). When you fill up in the valley and drive up the mountains and stay there overnight. Diesel could be frozen the next morning, so be prepared (additives, fuel filter heater)
- Diesel adulerated with fuel is very bad for the injection pump(s). No one will adulrate petrol with Diesel.
- Diesel with less specs, high sulphur etc. can harm the engine and exhaust emission systems. Check the wll known websites, where sulphur levels are noted worldwide
- Diesel are almost always turbocharged today. That can cause problems with power in high regions.

I love Diesel engines, but sometimes petrol has advantages.

And, maybe the most important issue....burning your stove with Diesel is not as much fun as with petrol if it comes to cleaning afterwards...😉

Cheers
AWo

Last edited:

neos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
I understand the grenadier will be 95 min. So no more of that!
I'm not sure if this is posted, but I asked Ineos this question, and the response is as follows:

"The recommend use is 95 RON.with a minimum requirement being 91 RON. E5,E10,E25 are all ok to use.
Unleaded petrol, meeting specification EN228, with a maximum ethanol content of 5% may be used, the rear windows are also heated."

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m sorry, in my head I’m thinking the side rear windows. The rear door windows are heated, yes, and the larger door has a wiper. We’ve see photos showing it.

neos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m sorry, in my head I’m thinking the side rear windows. The rear door windows are heated, yes, and the larger door has a wiper. We’ve see photos showing it.

I apologize for off topic.. but found a pic as you mentioned of the wiper.. although a half wipe of the larger door window.

960x0.jpg

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I apologize for off topic.. but found a pic as you mentioned of the wiper.. although a half wipe of the larger door window.

960x0.jpg
It seems to be rather inadequate, but the spare blocks most the view anyway. I’m not sure if it would have helped to mount the wiper on top.

Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is posted, but I asked Ineos this question, and the response is as follows:

"The recommend use is 95 RON.with a minimum requirement being 91 RON. E5,E10,E25 are all ok to use.
Unleaded petrol, meeting specification EN228, with a maximum ethanol content of 5% may be used, the rear windows are also heated."
That's great news. So they are saying you should choose to run it on 95. But if you are unable to get it you can use the regular stuff. That's pretty reasonable.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's great news. So they are saying you should choose to run it on 95. But if you are unable to get it you can use the regular stuff. That's pretty reasonable.
Yes, see a bit earlier in the thread… running it on 95 RON is likely to slightly improve reliability, efficiency, and power output due to the higher compression (#39).

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
95 is quite expensive compared to E10 or 91... 98 is just plain stupidly priced. The GREN Petrol can only take E5? Which we dont have in Aus? Well here in QLD I only see E10. That means, preference fuel is 95.
95 is about 15-20c per L over E10 on the Coast.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would be surprised, my two M40i run with E5/E10/E25

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My understanding is that all new petrol engined cars in the U.K. and possibly EU and else where have to be able to run on E10 petrol as per info below from the UK government
Standard petrol is changing to E10

Standard grade (95 octane) petrol became E10 in Great Britain in September 2021 and in Northern Ireland in November 2022.

These changes apply to petrol only. Diesel fuel has not changed.

Almost all (95%) petrol-powered vehicles on the road today can use E10 petrol and all cars built since 2011 are compatible.

If your petrol vehicle or equipment is not compatible with E10 fuel, you will still be able to use E5 by purchasing the ‘super’ grade (97+ octane) petrol from most filling stations.

Petrol pumps will clearly label petrol as either E10 or E5.

Check your vehicle is compatible with E10 petrol​

You can check if your car, motorbike or moped can use E10 petrol by using our E10 vehicle checker.

About E10 petrol​

E10 petrol contains up to 10% renewable ethanol, which will help to reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions associated with petrol vehicles and tackle climate change. Petrol in the UK currently contains up to 5% renewable ethanol (known as E5).

E10 petrol is already widely used around the world, including across Europe, the US and Australia. It has also been the reference fuel against which new cars are tested for emissions and performance since 2016.

Reducing emissions​

CO2 is one of the greenhouse gases that contribute to climate change and the main benefit of E10 petrol is that it reduces overall levels of CO2-based vehicle emissions.

By blending petrol with up to 10% renewable ethanol, less fossil fuel is needed, helping us reduce carbon emissions and meet climate change targets.

The introduction of E10 petrol at UK forecourts could cut transport CO2emissions by 750,000 tonnes a year – the equivalent of taking 350,000 cars off the road, or all the cars in North Yorkshire.

Renewable fuel blends, such as E10 petrol, are generally introduced to reduce overall CO2 emissions. They have little impact on emissions associated with air quality and public health.

The production of renewable ethanol for blending with fossil petrol also results in valuable by-products, including animal feed and stored CO2.

Local time
Reaction score
95 is quite expensive compared to E10 or 91... 98 is just plain stupidly priced. The GREN Petrol can only take E5? Which we dont have in Aus? Well here in QLD I only see E10. That means, preference fuel is 95.
95 is about 15-20c per L over E10 on the Coast.
Yeah.. 95 isn't everywhere.. which means probably most of the time you're going to be on 98.

At least if you can't get either you know it's going to be ok with 91.

From a cost perspective it puts it closer to diesel typically.

neos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had emailed the question as when over-landing you never know what you’ll will or won’t be able to find. I thought the answer was reasonable as well.

Local time
Reaction score
I had emailed the question as when over-landing you never know what you’ll will or won’t be able to find. I thought the answer was reasonable as well.
I'm sure it will have a knock sensor, so will just retard the timing a bit.. with costs to economy/power.

Back
Top Bottom