The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

“Vera the Grenadier” 6 month / 6k miles report

Gryphon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
“Vera the Grenadier” was named by my wife after the iconic blue and white LR driven by DI Vera Stanhope in the itv series. She arrived on 1 May and after 6 months and nearly 6k miles has had the software update and all the extras have now been fitted. Here are some comments on my Fieldmaster Grenadier diesel, fully loaded with all the extras I wanted for what may be my last car.
  1. In shale (gas!?) blue and white Vera is what you would expect of a grown-up 4x4 - Good looking, Strong, Reliable, and Very Refined. I am immensely grateful to Sir Jim and his team for helping me to achieve a boyhood dream whilst I am (just) young enough to enjoy it. A white roof is essential in our ever hotter European summers. I struggle to understand the fashion for boring black.
  2. My North Yorkshire dealer is Denton Cars at Skipton where the Greenway brothers James and Luke and their highly professional team provide an impeccable service. It is no wonder that they have delivered so many Grenadiers.
  3. Anyone who lives in the country, perhaps has driven tractors, vans, trucks, used heavy machinery etc will love this beast. It is not a city car, but can be driven all day quietly and stress free on country roads or motorway. Once you are aware that the steering is not self-centring, it is totally predictable and effortless. Of my 6k miles, 2k was on motorway from Yorkshire to Gascony (France) at legal speeds. Solo outward at about 27/28 mpg, return journey towing a 2.3 tonne 9 m caravan 800 miles effortlessly at 24.3 mpg on a tank brimmed test (steady 80kph/50mph). With premium diesel, I got a 5% improvement on mpg, plus a cleaner engine and environment. I always use cleaner diesel where possible (I have grandchildren).
  4. The seats are very comfortable, the driving position for me is superb. I sit as high and as far back as possible with my arms extended and relaxed. As a RH drive, the left foot sits comfortably on the enlarged foot rest where it can move about, whilst my right foot is extended slightly to the right with a very steady and predictable accelerator pedal. Brilliant. As I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for over 10 years I can definitely say that for me this is the best seat in the house!
  5. The high driving position gives fabulous visibility over hedges and walls. The straight sides and huge wing mirrors give complete vision of width, essential on our stone-walled country lanes. By contrast, my courtesy car LR Discovery Sport with invisible bulges made for sweaty palms. The seats also gave back ache.
6. The interior space, the load area Unwin strip tie down system, square sides etc. make this luxury vehicle extremely practical. I bought 4 heavy gauge black plastic stackable expedition boxes for tools/diesel can etc, picnic gear, camping clobber, and for food stuffs. I chose leather interior for comfort and the saddle leather wheel is a great comfort to sore old hands. I have driven with the back seats down fully loaded to spare wheel height, towing 2.2tonnes and the Grenadier sits level and stable, even over North Yorkshire’s notoriously pot-holed roads.
7. Off-road I have needed the manual central diff lock, but much as I like driving tractors, I hope I never need to use either of the 2 (electric) axle diff locks on Vera. The new mechanism is understandably a bit stiff and may need some drive rocking movement to engage, but I like this manual system.

8. The front Winch with its remote control is a joy to use. I have probably used it 25-30 times, hauling a big caravan backwards out of storage in France, then in the UK backwards up a narrow field track into a barn - most pulls at the fully extended length. It is powerful, smooth and totally predictable. I also chain pulled cut trees out of a wood up a steep slope into storage for drying and cutting.

9. I always buy cars with small wheels and fat tyres - more comfortable ride, better in snow, slush, mud, and less inclined to be smashed against kerbs and rocks. Driving through flooded roads yesterday I would have clipped a kerb with 18” alloys. My 17” alloys are chip free.

10. Finally, what don’t I like?
I think the fashion for central “infotainment” may be of value to passengers, but useless for drivers who need eyes forward. In sunshine it can be invisible. I use a 6” hooded TomTom and use the more accurate gps speed info, plus time, distance, eta. On the central display most figures such as time, external temperature etc are far too small to be read on the road. I would prefer a small, deeply shaded cowl in front of the driver for essential info.
I also dislike the cruise control system as on the regular long hauls we do, it is used 90% of the time. For 40 years I have had cc on a stick, though I quite like the steering wheel buttons now. But I think having separate buttons for on and off is dangerous. Every other system has had one for both. Maybe my old brain is just not so malleable now.

In summary, “Vera the Grenadier” is everything I hoped for, and much more. I never expected it to drive like my old mini, nor that it would be so powerful, so quiet and so refined. For its weight and power it is also surprisingly fuel-efficient. It is of course not perfect, not a city car and has “a turning circle of a barge” according to one disgruntled journalist. Don’t buy one if you want to be noticed. Most people just see a big muddy landrover. Just a few come up and drool over it - a Frenchman at motorway services; a young German hiker - “the coolest car I have ever seen”; my postman! You will love it and never go back to life BG (before Grenadier, BV for me).

As it is said in Yorkshire, “ It’s a Thing of Purpose. “

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:54 AM
Reaction score
“Vera the Grenadier” was named by my wife after the iconic blue and white LR driven by DI Vera Stanhope in the itv series. She arrived on 1 May and after 6 months and nearly 6k miles has had the software update and all the extras have now been fitted. Here are some comments on my Fieldmaster Grenadier diesel, fully loaded with all the extras I wanted for what may be my last car.
  1. In shale (gas!?) blue and white Vera is what you would expect of a grown-up 4x4 - Good looking, Strong, Reliable, and Very Refined. I am immensely grateful to Sir Jim and his team for helping me to achieve a boyhood dream whilst I am (just) young enough to enjoy it. A white roof is essential in our ever hotter European summers. I struggle to understand the fashion for boring black.
  2. My North Yorkshire dealer is Denton Cars at Skipton where the Greenway brothers James and Luke and their highly professional team provide an impeccable service. It is no wonder that they have delivered so many Grenadiers.
  3. Anyone who lives in the country, perhaps has driven tractors, vans, trucks, used heavy machinery etc will love this beast. It is not a city car, but can be driven all day quietly and stress free on country roads or motorway. Once you are aware that the steering is not self-centring, it is totally predictable and effortless. Of my 6k miles, 2k was on motorway from Yorkshire to Gascony (France) at legal speeds. Solo outward at about 27/28 mpg, return journey towing a 2.3 tonne 9 m caravan 800 miles effortlessly at 24.3 mpg on a tank brimmed test (steady 80kph/50mph). With premium diesel, I got a 5% improvement on mpg, plus a cleaner engine and environment. I always use cleaner diesel where possible (I have grandchildren).
  4. The seats are very comfortable, the driving position for me is superb. I sit as high and as far back as possible with my arms extended and relaxed. As a RH drive, the left foot sits comfortably on the enlarged foot rest where it can move about, whilst my right foot is extended slightly to the right with a very steady and predictable accelerator pedal. Brilliant. As I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for over 10 years I can definitely say that for me this is the best seat in the house!
  5. The high driving position gives fabulous visibility over hedges and walls. The straight sides and huge wing mirrors give complete vision of width, essential on our stone-walled country lanes. By contrast, my courtesy car LR Discovery Sport with invisible bulges made for sweaty palms. The seats also gave back ache.
6. The interior space, the load area Unwin strip tie down system, square sides etc. make this luxury vehicle extremely practical. I bought 4 heavy gauge black plastic stackable expedition boxes for tools/diesel can etc, picnic gear, camping clobber, and for food stuffs. I chose leather interior for comfort and the saddle leather wheel is a great comfort to sore old hands. I have driven with the back seats down fully loaded to spare wheel height, towing 2.2tonnes and the Grenadier sits level and stable, even over North Yorkshire’s notoriously pot-holed roads.
7. Off-road I have needed the manual central diff lock, but much as I like driving tractors, I hope I never need to use either of the 2 (electric) axle diff locks on Vera. The new mechanism is understandably a bit stiff and may need some drive rocking movement to engage, but I like this manual system.

8. The front Winch with its remote control is a joy to use. I have probably used it 25-30 times, hauling a big caravan backwards out of storage in France, then in the UK backwards up a narrow field track into a barn - most pulls at the fully extended length. It is powerful, smooth and totally predictable. I also chain pulled cut trees out of a wood up a steep slope into storage for drying and cutting.

9. I always buy cars with small wheels and fat tyres - more comfortable ride, better in snow, slush, mud, and less inclined to be smashed against kerbs and rocks. Driving through flooded roads yesterday I would have clipped a kerb with 18” alloys. My 17” alloys are chip free.

I think the fashion for central “infotainment” may be of value to passengers, but useless for drivers who need eyes forward. In sunshine it can be invisible. I use a 6” hooded TomTom and use the more accurate gps speed info, plus time, distance, eta. On the central display most figures such as time, external temperature etc are far too small to be read on the road. I would prefer a small, deeply shaded cowl in front of the driver for essential info.
I also dislike the cruise control system as on the regular long hauls we do, it is used 90% of the time. For 40 years I have had cc on a stick, though I quite like the steering wheel buttons now. But I think having separate buttons for on and off is dangerous. Every other system has had one for both. Maybe my old brain is just not so malleable now.

In summary, “Vera the Grenadier” is everything I hoped for, and much more. I never expected it to drive like my old mini, nor that it would be so powerful, so quiet and so refined. For its weight and power it is also surprisingly fuel-efficient. It is of course not perfect, not a city car and has “a turning circle of a barge” according to one disgruntled journalist. Don’t buy one if you want to be noticed. Most people just see a big muddy landrover. Just a few come up and drool over it - a Frenchman at motorway services; a young German hiker - “the coolest car I have ever seen”; my postman! You will love it and never go back to life BG (before Grenadier, BV for me).

Very well written and balanced report from Gryphon

My experience of the Grenadier has been similar to with the exception of no winch and no foreign travel as yet. Like you I love the saddle leather (A last minute choice).
A couple of areas where my conclusions differ from yours.
As someone who drives lots of different cars with various Cruise Control configurations I have no issues with that as fitted to the Grenadier. I just wish it was adaptive as having used Adaptive CC I love it.

The central console does have problems with reflection in certain lights. Likewise the central compass. However, when driving last night I became aware that my concentration was purely centred on the road, only glancing at centre console as required. Following 45 years plus of driving with conventional instrumentation, it is taking me some time to get used to but ultimately I think I could get to really like it.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:54 PM
Reaction score

Great review and reflections on ownership.
I agree with everything you like.
I also agree that the cruise controls, whilst fine, could be better, and a stalk can be a great solution. In fact the steering wheel spoke shape is not ideal, at least for my hands, but it is what it is.
I would REALLY like ineos to increase the size of the clock and external temperature display - as you say they are just too small to read with a glance. Hopefully this is a reasonably easy fix for a future update.
very minor notes, on an otherwise stupendous success.

Jimbo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score

Thank you for that information, When our Grenadier arrives in the in Texas we are naming it Endeavour, after Morse.

Back
Top Bottom