The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

My plans for extra fuel capacity

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:12 AM
Reaction score
When I saw the Grenadier in person in the US I crawled under the car to see how much frame rail space was there. IMHO an aux tank of 15-20 US gallons should be fittable easily.

See a similar solution for G Wagens

You could do fuel on one side and a small 10 gal water on the other side.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:12 PM
Reaction score
Possiblely move room now the rear dampers have been moved from inboard to outboard?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a Toyota Prado which has two fuel tanks totaling 130 Litres.
This is standard for the vehicle.
He only fills up both tanks when he is going away on a camping trip and usually comes back with half a tank left.
Filling up 130 plus litres is like driving around with a fat friend in the car.

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
My Defender 90 has a second tank, so I have 104 liters Diesel on board. That is enough for more than 1000 km and the chance to get fuel at stations at the road which are a little bit (edit: less) expensive. Hope to reach the same distance with the Grenadier and its 90 liters tank.

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My Defender 90 has a second tank, so I have 104 liters Diesel on board. That is enough for more than 1000 km and the chance to get fuel at stations at the road which are a little bit expensive. Hope to reach the same distance with the Grenadier and its 90 liters tank.
You should be able to do around 900 kms without too much problem depending on load and headwinds

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You should be able to do around 900 kms without too much problem depending on load and headwinds
and if you are towing a trailer, as this can, depending in several factors, reduce fuel economy & thus km's travelled per tank by 15%-20%

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:12 PM
Reaction score
and if you are towing a trailer, as this can, depending in several factors, reduce fuel economy & thus km's travelled per tank by 15%-20%
If you’re towing something then there is probable a good place to add fuel. I do this with a jerry in boat.

I currently have 75 ltrs and haven’t had a problem with some decent remote trips (~1400km).

I prefer more smaller containers (10lt bladders) as they can be stashed in all sorts of spaces and you can tailor your fuel load depending on the trip.

jeremy_matrix

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
You know how when you fold the rear passenger seats down, it leaves a "cliff" in the cargo area? How about fitting a fuel tank on the floor of the cargo space which will match the height of the seats when folded? That would leave you with a flat area when seats are folded (to lay on), lots of fuel supply with it's weight held closely to the axle(s). Sure it's inside the rig, but if your fuel hatch closes tightly, and reliefe valve is routed outside, it shouldn't give off smell inside.... I think... right?

Just thinking out loud. That's a lot of fuel to store outside.

Unicat did this on the Entdecker G-Wagen, but the fuel was diesel not petrol; https://expeditionportal.com/gelaendewagen-entdecker/
Most would poo-poo petrol being stored inside the vehicle due to higher volatility.

PS--from personal experience, I cannot recommend anything from Long Range Automotive. Quality, instructions, support all very poor. The Long Ranger is a different company.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Not to mention in case of an accident you have a huge potential problem
As with lithium batteries
The world is out to get you. You escape the flaming wreck only to step on an eastern brown snake as the wife gets monstered by a crocodile.
ASPW put the mother of all petrol tanks in his ancient Rangie load space.
You could use a race car fuel bladder. They are designed to withstand >200km/hr impacts.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The 250 litre "ferry" tanks fitted to Mercedes Benz prime movers (AKA tractors to our US forumites:) ) make for excellent auxiliary diesel fuel storage on a trailer....

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

jeremy_matrix

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Nice article. Thanks for posting 👍.

The video link is worth a direct link, especially for those talking carbon fibre on other threads. I don't know what it is about Hutchinson wheels, but they just look so right. All this 11 years ago:
View: https://youtu.be/gQfFO51TJh4

You're welcome. It was an inspiration for my gray G;
DSC_7744_mod-nomatrix2.jpg

And about the Hutchinsons, they do look right on these boxy rigs (ie military look), however they aren't produced in 6x130mm so no go for the Grenadier, AND I can't say that I'd use them again regardless of if they were available. There was a giant debacle with mine and others back then. Long story short, the centerbore on the Hutchinson's was about 1.5-2mm larger than the hub nose on the G, which meant there was slop/play with the wheel on the truck = vibrations at speed. Hutchinson kept insisting that their engineers spec'd the wheels correctly, but 6 different G-Wagens in the USA (all having the same 1.5-2mm smaller hub nose) showed different. The fix that was required was the local Hutchinson supplier had to machine the centerbore of the wheel and have custom inserts made to fit in to the wheel, so that the wheel would fit snug onto the truck. What a mess. :(

Local time
Reaction score
So I've done quite a few trips where I have to take around 100l inside my defender. I have a 132l tank.

If you use good drums like those willow ones they won't stink your car out. wipe off any spills meticulously.

The rear rack is not a great idea. Anything back there will be absolutely hammered with stones and be very vulnerable. Also won't help your weight distribution.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom