The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

My plans for extra fuel capacity

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:58 AM
Reaction score
Local time
2:58 AM
Reaction score
Yes gas version has an empty space where the 12g DEF tank was. At the ride event they stated someone aftermarket would probably make something. A shame they just dont make one OEM for gas. Like another poster said, put a trailer back there and this 15mpg goes to 10 really fast. Just over 200mile range? Sad.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:58 PM
Reaction score
Yes gas version has an empty space where the 12g DEF tank was. At the ride event they stated someone aftermarket would probably make something. A shame they just dont make one OEM for gas. Like another poster said, put a trailer back there and this 15mpg goes to 10 really fast. Just over 200mile range? Sad.
I read this and thought you wanted LPG tank and that you were getting really bad fuel economy.
Thankfully you have a flag so I realised you meant petrol not gas and you are using little tiny gallons
One of the issues of global forums is all the different terminology or the same things.
1686520028410.png

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Iâve been putting in a bit of thought how Iâm going to deal with the condition known as Australian Range Anxiety (ARA). ARA is a condition largely isolated to Australia, however, with the advent of Electric Vehicles an almost identical condition known as Electric Vehicle Range Anxiety (EVRA) has been surfacing all around the world with concentrations on the west coast of the USA and western Europe. Although the symptoms to this condition are similar the treatments are quite different.

ARA is defined by a mismatch in the actual required driving range between stops at refuelling infrastructure and how much a person thinks that they need. Extreme examples of this can be seen in the CBDâs of our major cities where the âRaptorâ, âRogueâ or âSportsâ models of common utility vehicles can be seen with not one but two Jerry Cans mounted to the rear of the vehicle. Should the driver of said vehicle run out of fuel in the 5km between petrol stations, they will be able to add an additional 300 odd kilometres of range by simply filling up from their rear-mounted emergency supply.

A recent study of Australian drivers by the University of Betoota found that 97% of Australian drivers of utility and off-road vehicles did not venture far enough away from petrol stations to justify any sort of range anxiety, whilst a further 2% did so only once a year.

Now onto the problem.

For a vast majority of my travels the 90L fuel tank for the grenadier will be sufficient. However there are a few tracks in Australia which actually do justify the need for a long range fuel tank. The most extreme example of that is the Canning Stock Route (The CSR) which attracts around 1,000 vehicles every year. A rule of thumb for the CSR is that you should leave Wiluna or Halls Creek with 300L of fuel onboard. Between these two stops there is nowhere that you can fill up. Lets say your vehicle of choice is a Grenadier, well you need to find somewhere to keep 210L of fuel.

There are a few things that concern me carrying this much fuel: - I dont want to carry it inside the vehicle, I just don't like the concept of sniffing diesel for days on end, not to mention the amount of space it will consume that could otherwise be used for other essentials like water, food, clothing, shelter, etc. - I donât really want to carry too much weight on my roof, maybe one or two rotopax laying flat but definitely not hundreds of litres. Its an awkward place to be dealing with heavy objects and generally I try to avoid making my car too top heavy. - Whilst you could mount a few rotopax on the âutility beltâ, thatâs not going to put much of a dent in the 210L Iâm trying to tuck away

A few assumptions Iâm making are: - I wonât have a trailer (If I have a trailer ill just store any extra fuel in there easily - Iâll be driving a diesel

So my plan is:1 - Buy or make a hitch mounted rack. Iâve got my eye on something like the Pakmule Sway Back. This gives me something that I can use only when I actually get to the point of needing to carry the extra fuel. Up to that point I can tie it down on my roof rack, at 18kg its relatively light so it isnât going to throw off the balance of the vehicle when its stored up there.2 - Approach Fleximake to make a custom diesel bladder that fits within the footprint of the hitch rack. If we use the Pakmule footprint as an example, a 20cm high bladder will have sufficient volume to carry 210L of diesel.

Proâs: - The Pakmule and fuel bladder can be packed away to a volume far smaller than the volume of diesel they can carry. The same cannot be said for jerry cans, rotopax, etc. - The Pakmule will have other uses, picking up bags of fertiliser from Bunnings, carrying garbage out of campsites, wet/muddy storage, etc.

Conâs: - The Pakmule has a carrying capacity of 226kg - the weight of the fuel plus the bladder itself will be just below that limit. One thing Iâve learnt is that the rated limit is often meant for ideal conditions. To keep the strain off the the platform Iâll just have to stop after the first few hours and top off the IGâs tank, that will bring the weight down to something well within the limits of the Pakmule. The towball weight limit of the IG is 350kg so no concerns there. - The Pakmule will definitely reduce the departure angle, if it proves to be a real problem I could possibly use a tow hitch extension/raiser to raise the height of the platform (which will then get in the way of the rear doors at a certain point

Keen to hear what the community thinks - are there any proâs or conâs I havenât thought about. Are there any better ideas out there?

Edit: One additional thought/consideration I have is that it might be a good idea to have two bladders side by side or internal baffling within the one bladder to ensure I haven't got too much weight shifting to the edge of the platform when the vehicle is angled over to the left or right.
Do you have a dealer you work with - trying to get any info on who makes the RooBar you have as an option down there. We cant see any info in the US on that - and the Ineos chat does not have any info in the states

Local time
Reaction score
Well spotted it is a petrol and Im hoping aftermarket comes up with an auxiliary tank for the petrol 👍🏼
It's possible that if the petrol gets substantially more fuel capacity it might be a better option than the diesel.

A friend of mine has a Landcruiser v8 petrol (lordy it sounds great) and they have like a 250l tank. With that it's got solid range.

I don't think the Grenadier petrol will be super thirsty.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's possible that if the petrol gets substantially more fuel capacity it might be a better option than the diesel.

A friend of mine has a Landcruiser v8 petrol (lordy it sounds great) and they have like a 250l tank. With that it's got solid range.

I don't think the Grenadier petrol will be super thirsty.
Yes I’ve a friend with a 4.5L petrol landcruiser he tows a lot with it. Terrible fuel economy but super reliable. I’m just not a fan of all the emissions equipment on diesels plus the fact that diesels can only run on max 50ppm sulphur diesel. My Grenadier is at about 20mpg but early days and no weight on board.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:58 PM
Reaction score
Yes I’ve a friend with a 4.5L petrol landcruiser he tows a lot with it. Terrible fuel economy but super reliable. I’m just not a fan of all the emissions equipment on diesels plus the fact that diesels can only run on max 50ppm sulphur diesel. My Grenadier is at about 20mpg but early days and no weight on board.
I did the Simpson Crossing in a 4.7L V8 petrol LC and got 22l/100km loaded to the gunnels and was pleased with that. It was thirsty around town in stop start traffic though. That said, so is my 4.5L TTD 200 series.

Towing a 2T van at circa 100-110kmh was similar from memory.

Local time
Reaction score
One strategy I've used to improve safety, if you carry fuel inside the car, just fill it up before the off road bit. Say you are doing a desert crossing .. fill it up at the last town. It will cost you a bit more but you won't have it in the car for the high speed stuff.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just giving this thread a bump as I need to come up with a plan for an auxiliary fuel tank in my petrol Grenadier. Considering taking out completely or greatly reducing the size of the rear silencer as there is a big void above the silencer so with it removed there is potential for quite a large fuel tank.
The guys in the Windhoek dealership have a petrol Grenadier that has had an exhaust silencer greatly reduced as a trial and apparently no noticeable difference to exhaust sound which is encouraging.
IMG_0409.jpegConsidering getting some works done to “Liberty” whilst in Southern Africa as they have great expertise in 4x4 upgrades and conversion. So for us the major things to do before the rest of our world travels is to get the suspension raised and fuel capacity increased. Once this is done we IMG_0413.jpegwill then consider further conversion options such as a pop top roof with integrated bed and storage options.
Any ideas or thoughts greatly appreciated

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:58 AM
Reaction score
The exhaust looks good at first, but now it points up: Good for water ingress, not only if it rains but in particular when wading through deep water.

But not ideal for the car.

Back
Top Bottom