The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

My plans for extra fuel capacity

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:12 PM
Reaction score
A guy on the IG overlanders FB group has just posted a 68L rear muffler delete LRT
I would have a little concern with removing a 5kg muffler and adding about 80 kg of fuel & tank behind the rear axle.
As long as some thought has gone into the impact on weight distribution, suspension etc.
80kg has the potential to become 120kg pendulum effect and possibly impact your allowed tow ball weight

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I would have a little concern with removing a 5kg muffler and adding about 80 kg of fuel & tank behind the rear axle.
As long as some thought has gone into the impact on weight distribution, suspension etc.
80kg has the potential to become 120kg pendulum effect and possibly impact your allowed tow ball weight
Don't tow a caravan Dave. Just don't!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Don't tow a caravan Dave. Just don't!
i think a lot of people who want the extended range are doing just that, towing a caravan.
They also seem to all want to tow a 4 bedroom house size caravan that weighs about 3500 kgs.
Which is roughly 350 kg tow ball weight.
This tank & location "MAY" impact the maximum 350 kg tow ball allowance.
I have zero idea if it will but it may be a nasty surprise when pulled over by cops to check loads and weights while on holiday.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm only towing a 2.65 GTM van so I'll be right.
Everyone else is a grown up and can "do the math". If they are breaking the law they can cop the fine.
Like guys who do "I overtook a line of vehicles yesterday in the overtaking lane, in the rain at 145 kmh" ;)
I plan to store 40L petrol in the toolbox of our van. But only if needed.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm only towing a 2.65 GTM van so I'll be right.
Everyone else is a grown up and can "do the math". If they are breaking the law they can cop the fine.
Like guys who do "I overtook a line of vehicles yesterday in the overtaking lane, in the rain at 145 kmh" ;)
I plan to store 40L petrol in the toolbox of our van. But only if needed.
It isn't just your grip on the steering wheel that clenches when doing 145 kmh in a Grenadier.
I also may have been doing a bit more than 145 kmh before I looked at the speedo.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
It isn't just your grip on the steering wheel that clenches when doing 145 kmh in a Grenadier.
I also may have been doing a bit more than 145 kmh before I looked at the speedo.
Note to authorities : Never ever let Dave tow a caravan.
He'll never get the poo off the seat.

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They stop at 166 on the clock, so definitely wasn't anymore 🤣

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
They stop at 166 on the clock, so definitely wasn't anymore 🤣
Given speedo error I reckon 161-2 is tops. On the gauge at least. Terminal velocity is always a possibility on certain roads.

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here is my fix for the small tank. I think this is a great/cheap option when it is not often that a larger tank is needed. I have two giving me 60 additional litres if needed. I still have quite a bit of roof space left jut need to be careful with the roof load limit.

Attachments

• IMG_20240307_100844_931.jpg
    IMG_20240307_100844_931.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 62

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here is my fix for the small tank. I think this is a great/cheap option when it is not often that a larger tank is needed. I have two giving me 60 additional litres if needed. I still have quite a bit of roof space left jut need to be careful with the roof load limit.
Diesel?

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A guy on the IG overlanders FB group has just posted a 68L rear muffler delete LRT
Have to wonder what effect the muffler delete will have on exhaust back pressure>dpf system>turbos>valves>warranty of these? I don't know I'm no engineer but...

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Worth noting here that the Brown Davis tank is now available. Also provides a high flow inlet for added flexibility when using truck pumps.

Back
Top Bottom