The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Engine cooling noise diesel

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:54 AM
Reaction score
Anyone with a diesel who can help? After turning off the car after a 30 minute drive. The engine cooling fan is super loud for 3/5 minutes after I turn off the ignition. Is it normally this loud?

Many thanks

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone with a diesel who can help? After turning off the car after a 30 minute drive. The engine cooling fan is super loud for 3/5 minutes after I turn off the ignition. Is it normally this loud?

Many thanks
Mine doesn’t

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:54 AM
Reaction score

Many thanks
Hi, had this once after a 40min drive on motorway in heavy rain. Was surprised how load it was. In the meantime have ca 1500km and not realized the same again. I don‘t see it as an issue if it occurs now and then after significant usage.

shaun

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:54 AM
Reaction score
It‘s a feature, not a bug ;)

Most likely just the DPF regenerating. For that it needs quite a high temperature on the exhaust side. When the vehicle is shutdown during the process, the fan will run for few minutes after engine shutdown to cool everything off.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
7:54 PM
Reaction score
Did you notice a burning oil type smell from the engine or front of the vehicle? As above, the DPF may have done a burn.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did you notice a burning oil type smell from the engine or front of the vehicle? As above, the DPF may have done a burn.
No I didn’t notice any smell. Just a very loud radiator fan noise after the ignition was turned off.

Local time
Reaction score
Took diesel for a test drive just to see what it was like after 30 mins om M way all the fans were roaring when I dropped it off at the dealers.
Petrol hasn't done that.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score

Many thanks
Yes, I experienced exactly the same thing. Outside temperature 16 degrees Celsius, average speed maximum 80 km/h, driving time 30 minutes. Afterwards, I stopped in a car park. The fan was running at full speed and was extremely loud. It drowned out the engine. After about 5-10 minutes, no change. I drove on. Same parameters, stopped again. The fan runs very pleasantly quiet, as I expect. I will observe this on the next few rides. It will be interesting to see what it does at high outside temperatures.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:54 PM
Reaction score
The diesel prototypes on the drive days here in Queensland were very quiet at constant ambient temps of 35-39 degC although at low speed the turbo wasn't working hard. I was around them for a couple of hours after they'd been on the 'test' track for while and the engine fan was not noticeable. I suspect it's a simple adjustment to either a thermal switch or a firmware setting.

After young neighbour arrives home in the evening, his Subaru WRX inevitably runs a cooling fan for several minutes after engine switch-off ... (I suspect driving style is a significant issue here....)

Last edited:

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yesterday after a long 2 hours drive the roaring fan came on again but this time, the car was running. At the traffic lights, the car was trembling whilst I was sat in the car. Alarming how strong and loud the fan is. It turned itself off after a few minutes. Sent a video to my dealer asking the technicians if this is normal. Sure it is but does really that loud. Plus the fact cold air is entering into the engine as I was driving.

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Had a BMW X4 previously with the 3.0 diesel engine and it did the same sometimes. It also had fins in the grille that opened to let air in when moving to help cool.

Seemed to only happen when after a long or hard drive I was stuck in slow moving traffic and suspected the engine wasn’t getting enough air flow to cool it.

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:54 PM
Reaction score
My diesel did this yesterday and continuously today. Super loud fan noise after turning engine off. Today it was also loud whilst driving. Short drives so I don’t understand it. Engine/oil temps all normal. Dealer says it’s normal but I don’t know. It’s not just the fan, there’s also a hiss/whine like blowing into a pipe. Anyone else hearing this madness?

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I

Many thanks
I had this today, it is normal. I have a BMW M5 and it does the same, not quite as loud, but very similar.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My diesel did this yesterday and continuously today. Super loud fan noise after turning engine off. Today it was also loud whilst driving. Short drives so I don’t understand it. Engine/oil temps all normal. Dealer says it’s normal but I don’t know. It’s not just the fan, there’s also a hiss/whine like blowing into a pipe. Anyone else hearing this madness?
I think it’s normal. I’ve got a 530d xdrive which has a big fan noise which seems to have a mind of its own..

Reactions: PBD
Back
Top Bottom