The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Engine cooling noise diesel

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:37 AM
Reaction score
My diesel did this yesterday and continuously today. Super loud fan noise after turning engine off. Today it was also loud whilst driving. Short drives so I don’t understand it. Engine/oil temps all normal. Dealer says it’s normal but I don’t know. It’s not just the fan, there’s also a hiss/whine like blowing into a pipe. Anyone else hearing this madness?
I would also say it's normal. Our G-Wagen (designed by Magna, same as the Grenadier) has done this since new, with no rhyme or reason. Hot weather, cold weather, long or short trips. When the DPF regen thingy wants to do its thing, it just does it. And loudly.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:37 PM
Reaction score
I

I had this today, it is normal. I have a BMW M5 and it does the same, not quite as loud, but very similar.
I had two previous X5 3 litre diesels. Never had this before this loud. So loud on my first week of ownership I thought it was going to blow up 😂😂😂. However, lately it’s not happened since I gave it a good blast on the motorway.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So weird… especially that whine in the background! It draws allot of attention 😂
It will settle down after running in. Give it a blast down the motorway. The whining/whistling and hissing will calm down too. Mines a lot better now 700 miles. Battery 94% charged. However, my stop/start has never worked 😂😂 and I’m beginning to wonder why. Maybe needs software update.

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:37 PM
Reaction score
It will settle down after running in. Give it a blast down the motorway. The whining/whistling and hissing will calm down too. Mines a lot better now 700 miles. Battery 94% charged. However, my stop/start has never worked 😂😂 and I’m beginning to wonder why. Maybe needs software update.
Trying to do just that. Do a daily blast… stop/start not working- isn’t that a good thing? 😂

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Trying to do just that. Do a daily blast… stop/start not working- isn’t that a good thing? 😂
Yes a good thing. But always in the back of my head that something is wrong and not meant to be like this. Question is does stop/start save fuel in the real world?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'd look carefully at all the conditions/parameters that have to be met for stop/start to function before thinking something was wrong.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'd look carefully at all the conditions/parameters that have to be met for stop/start to function before thinking something was wrong.
So if my Grenadier is 94% charged, what other parameters does it need to make so the stop/start works? I do a mixture of urban/countryside/highway driving/2 hour drives. I can’t figure it out?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So if my Grenadier is 94% charged, what other parameters does it need to make so the stop/start works? I do a mixture of urban/countryside/highway driving/2 hour drives. I can’t figure it out?
Is there an "R" in the month?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
From the Owner's Manual:
Screenshot_20230613_113938.jpg

MrJAT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine has done this a couple of times. I suspect it could be something to do with the dpf doing a regen?

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:37 PM
Reaction score
My stop start (N1 Diesel) seems to always be intruding (ie when I stop with engine on etc), my battery charge when I last looked was only at c87% so I don’t think (at least perhaps above a lower minimum) it is a battery charge thing but rather a load on battery thing

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've reported previously but I had the Offroad charging screen up and let it do a stop/start ~ it showed a 380A current flow, albeit was only momentary.

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
To date (I’m now around 2,200 miles and diesel) I have not had the loud fan noise others have experienced. I suspect, like others have already commented, it has more to do with the DPF regeneration than engine cooling.

I had this engine and gearbox combination in a BMW X5 and hardly ever had the DPF regen take place. I had read about regen issues and how it could be managed, and so adopted a few driving techniques shared below

1. Make as few short trips as possible. Big diesel engine takes a long time to warm up and uses more fuel at this time. This makes the DPF regen system work much harder.
2. Once each week, manually hold a low gear and blast the engine throughout the rev range. If possible, blast up a long hill and make it work. This gets the exhaust catalyst hot and allows it to naturally burn off the excess soot.
3. Use Shell V Power fuel (equivalents are available) as it contains more additives and cleaning agents. I know this will be contentious and I also know it’s more expensive, but it seems to work.
4. On long motorway journeys where the engine not getting above 2,000rpm, manually hold a lower gear and give it a blast Now and again. I learned this lesson on a trip to Madrid. Drove all day from northern France at circa 80mph and the car did a regen at a service station en route, which surprised me at the time. However, it the engine had been pottering along at 2,000 rpm all day, and I couldn’t find any Shell V Power.
5. I override the stop/start function as soon as I start the car. Defeats the object of trying to get the exhaust catalyst hot if you keep allowing it to cool down. I recognise Greta will not be sending me a Christmas Card any time soon.

I have continued to drive my Grenadier the same way and it is acting exactly the same as the BMW. No DPF regen to date.

One thing I have noticed is that I needed to put almost 20ltrs of Ad Blue to fill the tank. I didn’t ever put that much into my BMW in one go. That could be because it was low to start off with and so I now monitor more closely and see how much it is using.

Hope this is useful

Last edited:

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:37 PM
Reaction score
To date (I’m now around 2,200 miles and diesel) I have not had the loud fan noise others have experienced. I suspect, like others have already commented, it has more to do with the DPF regeneration than engine cooling.

I had this engine and gearbox combination in a BMW X5 and hardly ever had the DPF regen take place. I had read about regen issues and how it could be managed, and so adopted a few driving techniques shared below

1. Make as few short trips as possible. Big diesel engine takes a long time to warm up and uses more fuel at this time. This makes the DPF regen system work much harder.
2. Once each week, manually hold a low gear and blast the engine throughout the rev range. If possible, blast up a long hill and make it work. This gets the exhaust catalyst hot and allows it to naturally burn off the excess soot.
3. Use Shell V Power fuel (equivalents are available) as it contains more additives and cleaning agents. I know this will be contentious and I also know it’s more expensive, but it seems to work.
4. On long motorway journeys where the engine not getting above 2,000rpm, manually hold a lower gear and give it a blast Now and again. I learned this lesson on a trip to Madrid. Drove all day from northern France at circa 80mph and the car did a regen at a service station en route, which surprised me at the time. However, it the engine had been pottering along at 2,000 rpm all day, and I couldn’t find any Shell V Power.
5. I override the stop/start function as soon as I start the car. Defeats the object of trying to get the exhaust catalyst hot if you keep allowing it to cool down. I recognise Greta will not be sending me a Christmas Card any time soon.

I have continued to drive my Grenadier the same way and it is acting exactly the same as the BMW. No DPF regen to date.

One thing I have noticed is that I needed to put almost 20ltrs of Ad Blue to fill the tank. I didn’t ever put that much into my BMW in one go. That could be because it was low to start off with and so I now monitor more closely and see how much it is using.

Hope this is useful
Thank you for the tips… I have a heavy foot, and drive hard. Start/stop always off. Sound appeared. Today I drove easy, and no sound. Coincidence?

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for the tips… I have a heavy foot, and drive hard. Start/stop always off. Sound appeared. Today I drove easy, and no sound. Coincidence?
I guess it could be. If you think of old diesels, full throttle at low revs generally resulted in black smoke. This would typically clear as the revs rose and more oxygen was burned. My theory, for what it’s worth, is despite the huge leaps forward that modern diesel engines have made, the same principle applies - large fuelling (your heavy right foot) at low revs (the engine management system preference) will generate black smoke (soot) that will have to be managed somehow (through the DPF).

Try with your heavy right foot, but allow it to rev a bit with the manual controls and see if it makes a difference

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:37 AM
Reaction score

Hope this is useful
I thought the adblue tank was only 17L? Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom