The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Diesel Regeneration

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed how intrusive the regeneration process is on the diesel model?

I have noticed that the car seems to perform a regen every 4/500 miles and the fans become so loud that it sounds like a road sweeper going past! Engine temperature goes up to 102-ish and like I say the fans are embarrassingly loud. I have had to lengthen two journeys now to allow the car time to complete its cycle. I have never noticed this before with Euro 5 or Euro 6 diesels.

Adblue remaining range has only dropped around 500 miles in 2000 miles of driving.

Any comments or similar experiences?

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
Totally normal. My G-Wagen with the same ad-blue & DPF setup has been doing this all it’s life. No need to keep driving until it’s done. Just turn off and walk away. A bit disconcerting when the fan’s still going hell for leather but it shuts off when it’s done.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed how intrusive the regeneration process is on the diesel model?

I have noticed that the car seems to perform a regen every 4/500 miles and the fans become so loud that it sounds like a road sweeper going past! Engine temperature goes up to 102-ish and like I say the fans are embarrassingly loud. I have had to lengthen two journeys now to allow the car time to complete its cycle. I have never noticed this before with Euro 5 or Euro 6 diesels.

Adblue remaining range has only dropped around 500 miles in 2000 miles of driving.

The regen has nothing to do with the miles it is how it is driven.
If I do short trips around town a lot my diesel Mercedes does a burn and absolutely stinks out the garage.
Fan runs loudly after I stop
If I do motorway runs it doesn't do that it burns on the motorway.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The regen has nothing to do with the miles it is how it is driven.
Flip that one round: How it is driven is in fact the main contributing factor as to how many miles may be covered between Regens.

Ours seems to require a regen every 4/500 miles given its mixed use. I would be interested to hear how that compares to other users with varying driving conditions such as city, motorway, lots of off road, etc.

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Flip that one round: How it is driven is in fact the main contributing factor as to how many miles may be covered between Regens.

Ours seems to require a regen every 4/500 miles given its mixed use. I would be interested to hear how that compares to other users with varying driving conditions such as city, motorway, lots of off road, etc.
I’m getting close to 5,000 miles and not had a regen as yet. I try to avoid short journeys, I override the stop/start button, I give it a good blast through the rev range now and again, plus I use Shell V Power (Total equivalent in France at the moment). Seems to work.

I adopted the same approach with a previous BMW with same engine and had the same results.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m getting close to 5,000 miles and not had a regen as yet. I try to avoid short journeys, I override the stop/start button, I give it a good blast through the rev range now and again, plus I use Shell V Power (Total equivalent in France at the moment). Seems to work.

I adopted the same approach with a previous BMW with same engine and had the same results.
That’s interesting. Start/Stop is a mandatory off in my book too, however short journeys are unavoidable. Maybe a fuel additive like Dipetane may help the intervals between regens.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Yes it’s normal. Glad I’m not the only one. Did you get the fire extinguisher out just in case?

• Haha
Reactions: JOB

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Is yours a diesel?

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score

How do you know there's been no regen? I've never noticed it happening on my '21 Jeep GC diesel with over 20,000k.

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How do you know there's been no regen? I've never noticed it happening on my '21 Jeep GC diesel with over 20,000k.
That’s a fair question.

I had a BMW X5 with this engine for 45k miles and it went into regen mode a handful of times. So I understand the comment of other posters about symptoms - fan noise, heat, increased engine revs at idle, engine running or off.

To date, I have not experienced the same with my Grenadier.

My theory is that because I am trying to keep the exhaust hot, the exhaust soot is being burned off without any regen function assistance.

I could be wrong

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m not convinced our Grenadier is correctly regenerating. It seems to be performing regens more often than I would expect and the fans are SO loud during this process.

Reactions: PBD

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That’s interesting. Start/Stop is a mandatory off in my book too, however short journeys are unavoidable. Maybe a fuel additive like Dipetane may help the intervals between regens.
An additive in Australia makes that claim: https://costeffective.com.au/product/ftc-decarbonizer/

I like their products and I have used them on the Patrol for years. No idea whether it helps with DPFs, some of the reviews strongly suggest it does. I have used this product but the Patrol did not have a DPF.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m not convinced our Grenadier is correctly regenerating. It seems to be performing regens more often than I would expect and the fans are SO loud during this process.
Could they possibly be failed regens?

Back
Top Bottom