The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Collating and sharing known faults and fixes.

Stephen Whittaker

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
As a new Grenadier owner, I am pleased with the core vehicle and feel confident that the car should build a good reputation worldwide as a robust 4x4.
As with any completely new product, there are bound to be faults and concerns which should reduce with time as more is learned by the Ineos technical team and fixes are established and implemented.

My particular vehicle has had and is still showing various faults which may or may not be typical and therefore known by Ineos. However, Ineos clearly are not prepared to share with owners known faults or accept communication to report new ones.
This means that owners do not know whether they are trying to resolve issues already resolved or working on something unique.

Here is a list of faults with my vehicle, a Fieldmaster diesel.

Brakes – pads and discs suffered uneven wear leading to brakes feely very spongy and ineffective. All discs and pads were replaced after only 1500 miles.

Transmission – Low range/centre dif selector jammed in low range/dif locked which disabled the vehicle. I discovered that the pin which enables the collar to lift had fallen out and replaced it. It is currently held in by duct tape.

Doors – door handle push buttons stick in causing the doors to not close properly. Recently one of my rear doors opened whilst driving which was a safety concern.

Heater/cooling system – Heater matrix delivers warm air to passenger side but cold to driver’s side. Airflow does not change direction when the selector is moved from say demist to floor. On most journeys, cold air comes out of dash vents regardless of selector position.

Headlights – Automatic headlights are often on in daylight bright sunshine conditions and conversely are sometimes off in dark, misty conditions.

Radiator – cooling fan sometimes runs at high power setting for no apparent reason after parking and leaving the vehicle, this is so loud that it is alarming to passers-by.

Telephone – microphone is set much too quiet for handsfree phone calls to be effective.

Rear camera is not central over towbar – this makes hitching up to trailers much harder than it should be. There is no reason for this other than being a poor decision. I plan to move the camera over to centre.

Power outlet in rear boot area does not work.

Windscreen wipers sometimes operate by themselves.

Off-road mode often not available for no apparent reason – pressing the off-road button whilst moving slowly often results in a bong and the message saying unavailable.

Centre dif lock – this does not release despite driving forwards, backwards and in circles.

Rear camera does not work in off-road mode.

Audio volume range is much too small. Sometimes volume 1 is too loud for background music and step between volume settings is therefore too great.

Door seals - door seals retain water in heavy rain which then gushes out inside and outside the vehicle when the door is opened.

I'm interested to hear whether other owners are experiencing the same or similar issues worth collating into a sharable list.
I am trying to engage with Ineos as I believe they are missing an opportunity by keeping quiet about known issues.
It is more than disappointing to spend days trying to resolve issues before finding out that Ineos already have a fix or are working on it.

To be clear, I am a Grenadier fan but as it is a hard worked daily vehicle, I do need resolution to issues quickly.

Please reply if you are of the same opinion with your thoughts and if anyone has found a more approachable route into Ineos please let me know.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:48 AM
Reaction score
Hello Stephen,

It seems you had more problems than many of us.

If you travel throughout the many posts on the forum, you will see that quite some of us here are unsatisfied about the communication strategy towards their early guinea pig customers, you, me and many others.

And we know there are Ineos lurkers on this forum, even my dealer confirmed it.

I really don't understand their behaviour and customer satisfaction management: crap, that's what I can say😢🤬

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Similar vehicle to you. Push buttons in door handles, rear door is sticky, silicon lube. Door seal passenger front did hold water - dealer did temporary fix. Bottom box collar split pin has come out - fixed, peened over to make it tighter. Rad fans - yes after a run but considered normal I believe. Heater was patchy before software update, now seems ok. Camera is similar to L405 Range Rover, you get used to it.
Rest of your faults not seen.
Vehicle is way better post update.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
Similar vehicle to you. Push buttons in door handles, rear door is sticky, silicon lube. Door seal passenger front did hold water - dealer did temporary fix. Bottom box collar split pin has come out - fixed, peened over to make it tighter. Rad fans - yes after a run but considered normal I believe. Heater was patchy before software update, now seems ok. Camera is similar to L405 Range Rover, you get used to it.
Rest of your faults not seen.
Vehicle is way better post update.
Hello Jon from Diesel Fieldmaster owned since May 10th and with 2500 miles on clock now.
Key issues
Water ingress to right side of accelerator area - found by tracker installer on week 2. Blamed safari roof drain as per forum. Then had both door seals fall off. This was rectified on recall / software update visit 2 weeks ago - but now have the water gushing issues , and still have water inside the zone under the drivers side step. Agent has advised to cut a hole in outer door seal for now to allow a drain !!! Second new seal in design.

Battery warning is recent issue with warning at less than 50% - alternator replaced, charging well but not retaining after 2 - 3days of no driving. An issue as leaving the car when on holiday for next 2 weeks.

Bings and bongs all gone since software update. Radio still inclined to turn itself on .
Great drive as you know and getting 25mpg. Supported well by agent but wish they would give me a loan Grenadier and get everything properly investigated and completely understood.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:48 PM
Reaction score
As a new Grenadier owner, I am pleased with the core vehicle and feel confident that the car should build a good reputation worldwide as a robust 4x4.
As with any completely new product, there are bound to be faults and concerns which should reduce with time as more is learned by the Ineos technical team and fixes are established and implemented.

My particular vehicle has had and is still showing various faults which may or may not be typical and therefore known by Ineos. However, Ineos clearly are not prepared to share with owners known faults or accept communication to report new ones.
This means that owners do not know whether they are trying to resolve issues already resolved or working on something unique.

Brakes – pads and discs suffered uneven wear leading to brakes feely very spongy and ineffective. All discs and pads were replaced after only 1500 miles.

Transmission – Low range/centre dif selector jammed in low range/dif locked which disabled the vehicle. I discovered that the pin which enables the collar to lift had fallen out and replaced it. It is currently held in by duct tape.

Doors – door handle push buttons stick in causing the doors to not close properly. Recently one of my rear doors opened whilst driving which was a safety concern.

Heater/cooling system – Heater matrix delivers warm air to passenger side but cold to driver’s side. Airflow does not change direction when the selector is moved from say demist to floor. On most journeys, cold air comes out of dash vents regardless of selector position.

Headlights – Automatic headlights are often on in daylight bright sunshine conditions and conversely are sometimes off in dark, misty conditions.

Radiator – cooling fan sometimes runs at high power setting for no apparent reason after parking and leaving the vehicle, this is so loud that it is alarming to passers-by.

Telephone – microphone is set much too quiet for handsfree phone calls to be effective.

Rear camera is not central over towbar – this makes hitching up to trailers much harder than it should be. There is no reason for this other than being a poor decision. I plan to move the camera over to centre.

Off-road mode often not available for no apparent reason – pressing the off-road button whilst moving slowly often results in a bong and the message saying unavailable.

Centre dif lock – this does not release despite driving forwards, backwards and in circles.

Audio volume range is much too small. Sometimes volume 1 is too loud for background music and step between volume settings is therefore too great.

Door seals - door seals retain water in heavy rain which then gushes out inside and outside the vehicle when the door is opened.

I'm interested to hear whether other owners are experiencing the same or similar issues worth collating into a sharable list.
I am trying to engage with Ineos as I believe they are missing an opportunity by keeping quiet about known issues.
It is more than disappointing to spend days trying to resolve issues before finding out that Ineos already have a fix or are working on it.

To be clear, I am a Grenadier fan but as it is a hard worked daily vehicle, I do need resolution to issues quickly.

Please reply if you are of the same opinion with your thoughts and if anyone has found a more approachable route into Ineos please let me know.
You do seem to be having more issues than most. But search around through here and you will find threads on a number of these issues. Your first port of call though is your agent they should be working to address the issues they can. For the power outlet in the rear, make sure the overhead switch is on, may be as simple as that. The fans running is apparently normal and happens on BMWs as well apparently. The rear camera is what it is, the location doesn’t bother me that much, it would be nice if the image on the screen was larger. The soor handles should be dealer fix, but others have used silicone lubricant to assist. I haven’t heard of the brake issues before, sounds like you just got unlucky there, hopefully will not be a problem again now replaced. Brembo are one of the best brake systems on the market. Door seals a known issue whole threads devoted to it here, there is an owner solution but itbis a dealer fix issue.

Skiprat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Owned my Grenadier for 3 weeks now- love driving it- 1800 miles already (most at 70mph!)
Fieldmaster, Diesel, VIN = low 4000’s
Faults discovered so far:
4-post lift inspection the day after taking delivery:
rear utilitiy rail not fitted one side (it was getting dark when I picked it up!)-dealer rectified 👍
Nut missing from bracket LHS rear that holds rigid brake pipes- dealer made aware ⏳
Bolt (1x each side) holding central support of side runners missing- dealer made aware ⏳
Screw/washer holding tailgate table missing- dealer made aware and sourcing replacement ⏳
Underbonnet sound deadening missing plastic securing studs- dealer rectified 👍
Central part of the plastic edging trim on the rear of the roof above the tailgate not clipped in properly- did that myself🪛
Ensuing 3 weeks of ownership:
Front doors (both) - wet feet when opening following rain- dealer made aware ⏳
Front footwells (both) - water under sound deadening following rain- dealer made aware ⏳
Driver’s door pushbutton sticks in when pushed- dealer made aware ⏳

Thoughts on driving,etc:
RHD footrest issue - not an issue (I’m 5’11”) - can still stretch my left leg ‘over’ the pedals periodically.
Last weekend drove up the M1 to Yorkshire in horrendous conditions - I will say that a higher level of concentration was required when travelling with an articulated truck on my left and near suicidal van drivers passing on my right - tiny steering corrections necessary, but that was partly offset by the very high driving position giving far greater situational awareness.
Windscreen wipers- perfectly adequate (and I haven’t driven in rain & spray that bad in a long time)
Felt it necessary to engage wading mode on a few occasions once we got onto the minor roads. Tip: get the correct sequence of button pushing etc committed to memory before using it. Ended up with offroad/wading mode sh*tting its pants and not engaging having not followed the correct sequence. Shutting the car down for 10-15 minutes and a quick bit of education via YouTube sorted the problem.
Apple Car play: useful to a point, but not enough interaction possible when compared with a phone held securely in a holder, for instance- being unable to pinch/open out the map whilst running Waze etc, and quickly call up alternative routes when traffic starts getting worse. - I’m probably going to get a dedicated SatNav and keep it separate.
DAB radio- seems like the stations are listed in a completely random order - easy to delete one of your 5 favourite stations (just 5 - seriously?) - and it’s a complete pain in the @rse to search through the list of stations.
Not being able to reverse with the door open- stoopid, especially as the electric door mirrors do not seem have sufficient range of movement to cope with LHD and RHD vehicles. Maybe a different ’null’ position should be specified for each mirror depending upon whether it’s to be fitted to a LHD or RHD vehicle. I think I’ve read about this somewhere, but for a RHD vehicle the passenger mirror has sufficient movement to be able to look ‘horizontally’ rearwards along the vehicle, however the driver’s mirror has to be angled down in order to be able to be angled ’out’ sufficiently to cover the inevitable blind spots. Not good. Would be nice to be able to adjust this ’null’ position manually to suit each side.
Ineos seat covers- do the job, but front ones easily displaced- I’ll come up with a fix for that.
Feels like the car has ‘loosened up’ having put a few miles on it - hopefully it doesn’t loosen up to the level of the old Disco 2!

Last edited:

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

The manual states that to activate off-road mode the vehicle must be stationary.

Local time
Reaction score

One quick fix for you.
Put the car in reverse, select off road mode, move off camera stays on in forward and reverse if that helps. I agree a camera off road is very useful.

All other issues I think are known. The door handles button sticking
, there is a fix, additional o ring being fitted to keep dirt from jamming the button. The hands free microphone needs repositioning, the heater is very random in Auto, a software fix is coming, radio rubbish,again a fix is meant to be coming. Agree Ineos not good at informing us.

FieldMonster

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
A couple of weeks into my Grenadier adventure. Very happy overall but I talked to my dealer today about the six small snags I’ve encountered, in roughly the order of how annoying I’ve found them, on my Fieldmaster:

1. Passenger door seal is falling off. Known and common issue and apparently stems from the factory initially not wiping down the inside of the doors before applying the seal. Dust/grease creates poor adhesion. Obviously. Dealer will fix and seems to do these frequently.

2. Cabin fan makes a horrible noise at highest fan speed. Known and common issue but apparently “nothing can be done”. (I imagine that means nothing can be done easily.) Dealer won’t/can’t fix and apparently hears the complaint a lot. No idea how accessible the blades of the fan are?

3. Driver side wing mirror adjustment is weird, up/down doesn’t work at all when mirror is near right-most setting (which happens to be the place I need it). Just about tolerable but odd and annoying. Dealer happy to take a look and didn’t sound like they hear this one very often.

4. Driver door knob has stuck when used in wet weather. Only once so far but I predict it will recur. Dealer recognises it as a regular glitch and suggested I apply some silicone grease and bringing it back for o-ring replacement if it happens again.

5. A couple of the buttons on the main console don’t always operate first time. Rear demist and park assist often need to be pressed more than once. (They’re all a bit mushy but these are extra bad.) Dealer will take a look.

6. Fuel cap cover hinge sags, meaning the cover is tilted a couple of degrees off. Only just noticeable but it’s a bit shoddy. Dealer recognises it as a common complaint but won’t / can’t fix and doesn’t believe there’s anything I can do to improve it.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds like ou have got o
A couple of weeks into my Grenadier adventure. Very happy overall but I talked to my dealer today about the six small snags I’ve encountered, in roughly the order of how annoying I’ve found them, on my Fieldmaster:

1. Passenger door seal is falling off. Known and common issue and apparently stems from the factory initially not wiping down the inside of the doors before applying the seal. Dust/grease creates poor adhesion. Obviously. Dealer will fix and seems to do these frequently.

2. Cabin fan makes a horrible noise at highest fan speed. Known and common issue but apparently “nothing can be done”. (I imagine that means nothing can be done easily.) Dealer won’t/can’t fix and apparently hears the complaint a lot. No idea how accessible the blades of the fan are?

3. Driver side wing mirror adjustment is weird, up/down doesn’t work at all when mirror is near right-most setting (which happens to be the place I need it). Just about tolerable but odd and annoying. Dealer happy to take a look and didn’t sound like they hear this one very often.

4. Driver door knob has stuck when used in wet weather. Only once so far but I predict it will recur. Dealer recognises it as a regular glitch and suggested I apply some silicone grease and bringing it back for o-ring replacement if it happens again.

5. A couple of the buttons on the main console don’t always operate first time. Rear demist and park assist often need to be pressed more than once. (They’re all a bit mushy but these are extra bad.) Dealer will take a look.

6. Fuel cap cover hinge sags, meaning the cover is tilted a couple of degrees off. Only just noticeable but it’s a bit shoddy. Dealer recognises it as a common complaint but won’t / can’t fix and doesn’t believe there’s anything I can do to improve it.
Sounds like you have got off lightly. Wait till it rains some more and you realise the footwell is soaking, Wait a bit longer till you notice the battery state is dropping 8% a day,
Wait a bit longer still and you realise IA dont care and wont reply to your complaint tickets.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean?

I have not needed to raise any tickets and the dealer has been very responsive so far.
I meant to say it sounds like you have been lucky with few small issues. I have tried to escalate mine with IA and met with almost silence. Dealer is good but unsupported, 6 months of ownership it has worn thin

Local time
Reaction score
Entering week 4 with my Grenadier at the dealers premises. A list of other faults have been corrected, but the cabin heater system is unable to deliver only full heat or full cold, and the dealer doesn't have a scooby why.
Looking at their yard, there are another 8 registered Grenadiers parked up, so it looks like I'm not the only customer with a vehicle off road.

• Sad
Reactions: JOB

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
REAR DIFF LOCK automatically is switched off when switching on DOWNHILL DESCENT mode. CRAZY! This is a real disabler of the Grenadiers capability, especially steep descents when on muddy slopes.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
REAR DIFF LOCK automatically is switched off when switching on DOWNHILL DESCENT mode. CRAZY! This is a real disabler of the Grenadiers capability, especially steep descents when on muddy slopes.
Not sure how Downhill Assist could do its job of braking individual wheels if the rear diff was locked.

So I guess you need to make a choice on a steep descent … lock the rear diff OR use downhill assist.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
the cabin heater system is unable to deliver only full heat or full cold, and the dealer doesn't have a scooby why.
What are the exact symptoms of your heater malfunctions and have you the loan of another Grenadier?

Reactions: PBD
Back
Top Bottom