The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Collating and sharing known faults and fixes.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
Not sure how Downhill Assist could do its job of braking individual wheels if the rear diff was locked.

So I guess you need to make a choice on a steep descent … lock the rear diff OR use downhill assist.
Locking the vehicle in L1 seems to be perfect for steep decent. Not even used HDC yet

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with this - I think I’d use low first (it’s very low!) and the rear locker only if it looked like there might be a chance of lifting a rear wheel.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
REAR DIFF LOCK automatically is switched off when switching on DOWNHILL DESCENT mode. CRAZY! This is a real disabler of the Grenadiers capability, especially steep descents when on muddy slopes.
But how should the HDC work when all diffs are closed? The feature is that the single wheels can be braked individually by the HDC. As soon as one more diff than the center diff is locked, the system can not work any more. It is just pure logic that it has to be either diff locks OR HDC.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:33 PM
Reaction score
REAR DIFF LOCK automatically is switched off when switching on DOWNHILL DESCENT mode. CRAZY! This is a real disabler of the Grenadiers capability, especially steep descents when on muddy slopes.
Uhmm... "it ain't necessarily so.." the aim is to get the highest "retardation" of the wheels without locking up and initiating a slide especially in low traction (e g muddy) conditions. Think also of treacherous icy roads and steep hills...you need all the control you can get. The "system" essentially needs to restrict the wheel motion to the point where it's on the cusp of locking up... but not quite! That's why the sensors modulating each wheel independently can react far more quickly than a driver ever could ( think ABS). A locked diff removes this capability..

Last edited:

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
8:33 AM
Reaction score
Entering week 4 with my Grenadier at the dealers premises. A list of other faults have been corrected, but the cabin heater system is unable to deliver only full heat or full cold, and the dealer doesn't have a scooby why.
Looking at their yard, there are another 8 registered Grenadiers parked up, so it looks like I'm not the only customer with a vehicle off road.
Sad to hear - have they given you a loan vehicle? Mine goes in again next week for 3 days ........

KSBJJP

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Owned my Grenadier for 3 weeks now- love driving it- 1800 miles already (most at 70mph!)
Fieldmaster, Diesel, VIN = low 4000’s
Faults discovered so far:
4-post lift inspection the day after taking delivery:
rear utilitiy rail not fitted one side (it was getting dark when I picked it up!)-dealer rectified 👍
Nut missing from bracket LHS rear that holds rigid brake pipes- dealer made aware ⏳
Bolt (1x each side) holding central support of side runners missing- dealer made aware ⏳
Screw/washer holding tailgate table missing- dealer made aware and sourcing replacement ⏳
Underbonnet sound deadening missing plastic securing studs- dealer rectified 👍
Central part of the plastic edging trim on the rear of the roof above the tailgate not clipped in properly- did that myself🪛
Ensuing 3 weeks of ownership:
Front doors (both) - wet feet when opening following rain- dealer made aware ⏳
Front footwells (both) - water under sound deadening following rain- dealer made aware ⏳
Driver’s door pushbutton sticks in when pushed- dealer made aware ⏳

Thoughts on driving,etc:
RHD footrest issue - not an issue (I’m 5’11”) - can still stretch my left leg ‘over’ the pedals periodically.
Last weekend drove up the M1 to Yorkshire in horrendous conditions - I will say that a higher level of concentration was required when travelling with an articulated truck on my left and near suicidal van drivers passing on my right - tiny steering corrections necessary, but that was partly offset by the very high driving position giving far greater situational awareness.
Windscreen wipers- perfectly adequate (and I haven’t driven in rain & spray that bad in a long time)
Felt it necessary to engage wading mode on a few occasions once we got onto the minor roads. Tip: get the correct sequence of button pushing etc committed to memory before using it. Ended up with offroad/wading mode sh*tting its pants and not engaging having not followed the correct sequence. Shutting the car down for 10-15 minutes and a quick bit of education via YouTube sorted the problem.
Apple Car play: useful to a point, but not enough interaction possible when compared with a phone held securely in a holder, for instance- being unable to pinch/open out the map whilst running Waze etc, and quickly call up alternative routes when traffic starts getting worse. - I’m probably going to get a dedicated SatNav and keep it separate.
DAB radio- seems like the stations are listed in a completely random order - easy to delete one of your 5 favourite stations (just 5 - seriously?) - and it’s a complete pain in the @rse to search through the list of stations.
Not being able to reverse with the door open- stoopid, especially as the electric door mirrors do not seem have sufficient range of movement to cope with LHD and RHD vehicles. Maybe a different ’null’ position should be specified for each mirror depending upon whether it’s to be fitted to a LHD or RHD vehicle. I think I’ve read about this somewhere, but for a RHD vehicle the passenger mirror has sufficient movement to be able to look ‘horizontally’ rearwards along the vehicle, however the driver’s mirror has to be angled down in order to be able to be angled ’out’ sufficiently to cover the inevitable blind spots. Not good. Would be nice to be able to adjust this ’null’ position manually to suit each side.
Ineos seat covers- do the job, but front ones easily displaced- I’ll come up with a fix for that.
Feels like the car has ‘loosened up’ having put a few miles on it - hopefully it doesn’t loosen up to the level of the old Disco 2!
To reverse with door open put car in off-road mode first.

FieldMonster

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
A couple of weeks into my Grenadier adventure. Very happy overall but I talked to my dealer today about the six small snags I’ve encountered, in roughly the order of how annoying I’ve found them, on my Fieldmaster:

1. Passenger door seal is falling off. Known and common issue and apparently stems from the factory initially not wiping down the inside of the doors before applying the seal. Dust/grease creates poor adhesion. Obviously. Dealer will fix and seems to do these frequently.

2. Cabin fan makes a horrible noise at highest fan speed. Known and common issue but apparently “nothing can be done”. (I imagine that means nothing can be done easily.) Dealer won’t/can’t fix and apparently hears the complaint a lot. No idea how accessible the blades of the fan are?

3. Driver side wing mirror adjustment is weird, up/down doesn’t work at all when mirror is near right-most setting (which happens to be the place I need it). Just about tolerable but odd and annoying. Dealer happy to take a look and didn’t sound like they hear this one very often.

4. Driver door knob has stuck when used in wet weather. Only once so far but I predict it will recur. Dealer recognises it as a regular glitch and suggested I apply some silicone grease and bringing it back for o-ring replacement if it happens again.

5. A couple of the buttons on the main console don’t always operate first time. Rear demist and park assist often need to be pressed more than once. (They’re all a bit mushy but these are extra bad.) Dealer will take a look.

6. Fuel cap cover hinge sags, meaning the cover is tilted a couple of degrees off. Only just noticeable but it’s a bit shoddy. Dealer recognises it as a common complaint but won’t / can’t fix and doesn’t believe there’s anything I can do to improve it.

Update…

- Passenger door seal is falling off - Dealer has fixed
- Cabin fan makes a horrible noise at highest fan speed - Dealer can’t / won’t fix
- Wing mirror adjustment is weird/limited - Dealer can’t / won’t fix
- Driver door knob - Dealer has applied lube
- A couple of the buttons on the main console don’t always operate first time - Dealer can’t / won’t fix
- Fuel cap cover hinge sags - Dealer can’t / won’t fix

A few rough edges on an otherwise excellent car.

I asked the dealer how much to expect the 12 month service to cost, and what they’d charge if I booked in for an oil + filter change. £800+ for the service and, slightly eyewateringly, £600+ for an oil + filter change.

Local time
Reaction score
Sad to hear - have they given you a loan vehicle? Mine goes in again next week for 3 days ........
My work takes me to local farms - so I need a 4x4. Ineos tell me that they 'do not' offer a replacement/ interim 4x4.

May I ask what the issue is with your vehicle?

reauxheaux

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
Biggest annoyance I have come across that I am not sure has been mentioned, AndroidAuto decided to start disconnecting me. Not sure if this will be ongoing, maybe a system restart solved it. Able to keep the phone connected via Bluetooth, but sucked to lose the AndroidAuto features at one point.

Grenadier has reconnected with AndroidAuto each time since, so who knows.

Maxwell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
Update…

- Passenger door seal is falling off - Dealer has fixed
- Cabin fan makes a horrible noise at highest fan speed - Dealer can’t / won’t fix
- Wing mirror adjustment is weird/limited - Dealer can’t / won’t fix
- Driver door knob - Dealer has applied lube
- A couple of the buttons on the main console don’t always operate first time - Dealer can’t / won’t fix
- Fuel cap cover hinge sags - Dealer can’t / won’t fix

A few rough edges on an otherwise excellent car.

I asked the dealer how much to expect the 12 month service to cost, and what they’d charge if I booked in for an oil + filter change. £800+ for the service and, slightly eyewateringly, £600+ for an oil + filter change.

As far as I am concerned: my vehicle had been with the dealer for more than 9 month before it has been handed over to me. The lambda probe was loose after 30 kilometres and exhaust fumes came into the cabin and the door seals came off after a week. The lambda issue and the seals have been fixed but there are still a lot of vibrations in the vehicle. I am almost giving up on the Project Grenadier. Ineos headquarters doesn’t seem to care at all.

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Biggest annoyance I have come across that I am not sure has been mentioned, AndroidAuto decided to start disconnecting me. Not sure if this will be ongoing, maybe a system restart solved it. Able to keep the phone connected via Bluetooth, but sucked to lose the AndroidAuto features at one point.

Grenadier has reconnected with AndroidAuto each time since, so who knows.
I bought an Ottocast which works well. And, I don't have to plus the phone in every time I enter the vehicle. In my opinion, wireless Android Auto should have been standard equipment but, such is life.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I bought an Ottocast which works well. And, I don't have to plus the phone in every time I enter the vehicle. In my opinion, wireless Android Auto should have been standard equipment but, such is life.
Bought the Ottocast also. Virtually "instant" and flawless connection (y)

reauxheaux

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
Mine works on wireless android auto. Maybe part of the upgraded system?

Seems the VPN I run might have been causing some of the issues. Haven't been disconnected since turning it off during drives.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Add this to list of things to look out for.
- rear door panel seals are both partially defective on my vehicle as on both sides the seals are coming away from their contact/glue. Pretty crap thing to try and fix properly myself but I'll note with dealer to repair first so I keep my warranty.

MalcolmT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As a new Grenadier owner, I am pleased with the core vehicle and feel confident that the car should build a good reputation worldwide as a robust 4x4.
As with any completely new product, there are bound to be faults and concerns which should reduce with time as more is learned by the Ineos technical team and fixes are established and implemented.

My particular vehicle has had and is still showing various faults which may or may not be typical and therefore known by Ineos. However, Ineos clearly are not prepared to share with owners known faults or accept communication to report new ones.
This means that owners do not know whether they are trying to resolve issues already resolved or working on something unique.

Here is a list of faults with my vehicle, a Fieldmaster diesel.

Brakes – pads and discs suffered uneven wear leading to brakes feely very spongy and ineffective. All discs and pads were replaced after only 1500 miles.

Transmission – Low range/centre dif selector jammed in low range/dif locked which disabled the vehicle. I discovered that the pin which enables the collar to lift had fallen out and replaced it. It is currently held in by duct tape.

Doors – door handle push buttons stick in causing the doors to not close properly. Recently one of my rear doors opened whilst driving which was a safety concern.

Heater/cooling system – Heater matrix delivers warm air to passenger side but cold to driver’s side. Airflow does not change direction when the selector is moved from say demist to floor. On most journeys, cold air comes out of dash vents regardless of selector position.

Headlights – Automatic headlights are often on in daylight bright sunshine conditions and conversely are sometimes off in dark, misty conditions.

Radiator – cooling fan sometimes runs at high power setting for no apparent reason after parking and leaving the vehicle, this is so loud that it is alarming to passers-by.

Telephone – microphone is set much too quiet for handsfree phone calls to be effective.

Rear camera is not central over towbar – this makes hitching up to trailers much harder than it should be. There is no reason for this other than being a poor decision. I plan to move the camera over to centre.

Power outlet in rear boot area does not work.

Windscreen wipers sometimes operate by themselves.

Off-road mode often not available for no apparent reason – pressing the off-road button whilst moving slowly often results in a bong and the message saying unavailable.

Centre dif lock – this does not release despite driving forwards, backwards and in circles.

Rear camera does not work in off-road mode.

Audio volume range is much too small. Sometimes volume 1 is too loud for background music and step between volume settings is therefore too great.

Door seals - door seals retain water in heavy rain which then gushes out inside and outside the vehicle when the door is opened.

I'm interested to hear whether other owners are experiencing the same or similar issues worth collating into a sharable list.
I am trying to engage with Ineos as I believe they are missing an opportunity by keeping quiet about known issues.
It is more than disappointing to spend days trying to resolve issues before finding out that Ineos already have a fix or are working on it.

To be clear, I am a Grenadier fan but as it is a hard worked daily vehicle, I do need resolution to issues quickly.

Please reply if you are of the same opinion with your thoughts and if anyone has found a more approachable route into Ineos please let me know.
I was one of IGs biggest fans. I have lost all confidence with Ineos staff not taking ownership of the issues raised to be resolved. You phone a call centre that throw your concern in to a bin. You never get a response. So one sends an email! That just gets thrown in the same bin. I ended up dealing with the UK Customer Service Escalations Supervisor Commercial Sales & Operations. He hasn’t answered his company mobile and doesn’t reply to texts and he does not reply to any emails. Not sure why Ineos pay him a salary! My vehicle has been VOR since 19 December 2023 when it was in to have a full alignment and the service agent phone me to advise me that our vehicle was ‘unroadworthy’ it is now ‘Sorned’. Ineos have been unable to fix it and it is still ‘unroadworthy’ after 13 weeks.
The camber cannot be adjusted to a safe setting? They have change the steering box even thought no reason was given.
Our vehicle also has most of your faults noted which Ineos do not have any sort of engineering instructions for any form of solution and if a part is required there is no stock or line stock availability for a customer whose VOR. A simple water pipe had to taken from a showroom vehicle after 2 weeks VOR. Service agents have there hands tied and are not allowed to source a simple part even to put you back on the road until Ineos might decide to respond! Same goes for their car batteries which takes more than 2 weeks to be replaced under Ineos warranty. So ‘Customer is King’ is not one of their principles of understanding that you have paid for a fully functioning safe vehicle which mine is not and they have refused to repurchase the vehicle that is not roadworthy. It took them
3 months to supply and fit my side steps paid for and which had not been fitted as to the specification ordered and paid for? ! ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom