The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Engine continues noise

Sela Green

Green Grenny - now the fun starts...
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:32 AM
Reaction score
The power steering pump is my guess. Mine was loud at first, but it seems to have gotten a lot better.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:32 PM
Reaction score
Mine does that and has since new. Never really thought much about it. I assumed it was just a peculiarity of the induction system at idle.

I note your vehicle, like mine doesn’t have a raised air intake and I suspect RAI fitted vehicles may muffle this. My previous original Defender without a RAI made a peculiar induction noise and like the Grenadier, it had its air intake on the side wing panel.

The vehicle has been back to the dealers twice for software update & a battery replacement and they never mentioned anything so I assume it is normal.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I did another check on my vehicle and the noise is still there at idle, but only occasionally. Now I don't think it's an induction noise as it's not coming from the side air intake. My guess is it might be something to do with the air conditioning since this is the only other thing running intermittently when the vehicle is stationary. Still doesn't bother me though.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello,
I got my Grenadier Fieldmaster few weeks back from Dubai dealer, the car is amazing on-road and off-road, except for one issue bothering the comfort of enjoying the drive.

I have a continues noise coming from the engine, the noise never stops even while parked, driving slow or fast and during off-road, the dealer service center says all Grenadiers has the same noise.

Is anyone experiencing such noise?

You can hear the noise in the attached video.
View attachment 7845111
Time for some DIY diagnostics: ;) Get some 1/2" diameter plastic hose ...about 2 ft. Insert a small funnel in one end.
Open the "hood". Remove the engine cover...(it pulls off by hand) and start the engine and let it idle. Put one end of the tube to your ear and use the funnel end as a "stethoscope" and see if you can isolate the location of the noise more accurately...beware of moving parts!!!
(If you think it may be the serpentine belt, put a very light spray of belt anti squeal on it to see if that stops the noise...)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
My advice: Don't argue about the pump with the workshop. They will insist it's normal.

But demand that the noise be eliminated. They can not insist there is no noise. And such noise is, in my opinion, unacceptable.

Shaheens

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
@emax I gave up! Dubai dealer's workshop don't give a clear answer and they refuse to give service report, also I emailed Grenadier but they don't reply.

Apparently the noise I have is not normal, because I drove 3 other Fieldmasters and they don't have that noise.

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
Definitely sounds similar to the steering pump noise I have complained about to my dealer. The dealer stated it was normal as it was "electric"? Either way I am waiting to see another Grenadier in person which doesn't make the noise so I can gather evidence it can be eliminated to argue back. Frustrating. Also, I am at 16,000km's and the noise has not gone away.

Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
Your only option may be to get the vehicle looked at by an independent engineer and then submit their report to your lneos dealer

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
11:32 PM
Reaction score
Time for some DIY diagnostics: ;) Get some 1/2" diameter plastic hose ...about 2 ft. Insert a small funnel in one end.
Open the "hood". Remove the engine cover...(it pulls off by hand) and start the engine and let it idle. Put one end of the tube to your ear and use the funnel end as a "stethoscope" and see if you can isolate the location of the noise more accurately...beware of moving parts!!!
(If you think it may be the serpentine belt, put a very light spray of belt anti squeal on it to see if that stops the noise...)

A trick I've used for years to distinguish belt noises from pulley or pump bearing issues is to give the belt a few second shot of WD40 or other very light lubricant while the engine is ticking over at idle. (LPS 1 is another option.) Unlike dedicated belt lubricant it will dissipate in a few minutes. If it's the belt squealing do to misalignment or other issue, the sound will return soon enough. If the sound fails to stop after spraying the lubricant you likely have other issues, though with a badly worn belt the sounds may persist. I save the belt lubricant until after the diagnosis.

I see some here have mentioned the induction system as a possible culprit. You could try wiggling some of the plastic intake components around to see if there are gaps or odd connections causing the sound. I'd even remove the air filter briefly to see if that changes anything.

fredp45069

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:32 AM
Reaction score
I’ve got
Hello,
I got my Grenadier Fieldmaster few weeks back from Dubai dealer, the car is amazing on-road and off-road, except for one issue bothering the comfort of enjoying the drive.

I have a continues noise coming from the engine, the noise never stops even while parked, driving slow or fast and during off-road, the dealer service center says all Grenadiers has the same noise.

View attachment 7845111

it
Hello,

View attachment 7845111

I’ve got the loud high pitched noise and it’s terribly annoying outside the vehicle or while the windows are open.

fredp45069

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:32 AM
Reaction score
A trick I've used for years to distinguish belt noises from pulley or pump bearing issues is to give the belt a few second shot of WD40 or other very light lubricant while the engine is ticking over at idle. (LPS 1 is another option.) Unlike dedicated belt lubricant it will dissipate in a few minutes. If it's the belt squealing do to misalignment or other issue, the sound will return soon enough. If the sound fails to stop after spraying the lubricant you likely have other issues, though with a badly worn belt the sounds may persist. I save the belt lubricant until after the diagnosis.

I see some here have mentioned the induction system as a possible culprit. You could try wiggling some of the plastic intake components around to see if there are gaps or odd connections causing the sound. I'd even remove the air filter briefly to see if that changes anything.
Mine is clearly the power steering pump. It goes away after placing in park for about 10 seconds. If you touch the steering it happens again for about 10 seconds or continues if you keep moving steering wheel.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
A warranty case, I dare say.

And don't let yourself be fooled by the agent with "that's normal"!
It's definitely not.

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
Waiting to see someone else's car in person which doesn't make the sound, then I'll try and escalate to Ineos themselves as the dealer states it's normal.

Back
Top Bottom