The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Can BMW mechanics do oil change

TNT647

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:22 PM
Reaction score
Just wanted to see if any members has experience with getting oil change or transmission fluid change from a BMW dealership or BMW shop? I live 5 hours from an INEOS dealership…

Reactions: Max

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As @evomind said, anyone can do an oil change....

For transmission fluid, technically, any technician with experience with the ZF 8HP (Audi, Aston, Bentley, BMW, CDJR, Porsche, Rolls Royce, etc) could work on it.

While the engine hardware is BMW, and the transmission is used by BMW (and the above brands); a BMW shop or technician won't have any experience going further than that, nor will they have the complete diagnostics that an Ineos dealer does (or, eventually, independent shops that may specialize on them)

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:22 PM
Reaction score
Just wanted to see if any members has experience with getting oil change or transmission fluid change from a BMW dealership or BMW shop? I live 5 hours from an INEOS dealership…
New car with a BMW engine….take it to a dealer while it is under warranty.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'll always take a car under warranty to a dealer OR reputable local shop - I want 3rd party documentation of service work above anything else.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
For anyone in Australia unsure of the new laws
“Under the scheme, independent Australian motor vehicle repairers will have fair access to the information needed to service and repair cars, such as software updates to connect a new spare part with a car, or information and codes for computerised systems from the car manufacturer,” ACCC Chair Rod Sims said.

“This enables motorists to shop around for the repairer that offers the best price, service and convenience, knowing they will all have access to the information needed to complete the servicing or repair.”

“Previously, only car manufacturers and their affiliated repairers could be confident of getting access to important service and repair information, preventing many independent repairers from competing fairly for car servicing and repair work. This created additional costs for consumers, as well as inconvenience and delays,” Mr Sims said.

“We believe the scheme provides a much fairer opportunity for independent Australian motor vehicle repairers to compete and will improve outcomes for consumers, and we welcome this important reform being passed by the Parliament.”

The ACCC’s 2017 new car retailing industry market study found that independent repairers experienced continued problems accessing information needed to repair and service new cars. This was despite a voluntary commitment made by car manufacturers in 2014 to provide independent repairers with the same information provided to authorised dealers.

The ACCC recommended introducing a mandatory scheme requiring car manufacturers to share the information needed to repair and service cars with independent repairers.

The study found problems with the breadth, depth and timeliness of the service and repair information offered by car manufacturers to independent repairers, including a lack of transparency and consistency across manufacturers about safety and security information."

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Too true! I bought a genuine towbar kit for wife's 2019 Subaru Impreza. It came with a printed parts list but no instructions. When I queried this, there was deafening silence from the dealer and Subaru Australia... From other experiences, Hyundai Australia are equally "non-verbal" .... There is an Australian Govt website where you sign up to get access to purchase manufacturers' data ...BUT you have to be a "fit and proper person" (typical bureaucratic invention)... as R.G. Menzies (a former Australian Prime Minister) was reputed to say as he finished his night prayer before retiring..."Bugger 'em all"!

EDIT: I ended up finding most of the detail I needed from the "Subaru America" website...albeit with small changes for Left Hand Drive : same part number but for the US Market Subaru "Crosstrek" which appears to share the same floor platform as the Subaru Impreza Sport

EDIT 2: Back to the original question... it was/is my firm understanding that "anyone" may change oil/other fluids and Ineos will honour the warranty provided the parts (filters/O-rings /gaskets etc) are bought from an authorised Ineos dealer.

Last edited:
Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score
For anyone in Australia unsure of the new laws
“Under the scheme, independent Australian motor vehicle repairers will have fair access to the information needed to service and repair cars, such as software updates to connect a new spare part with a car, or information and codes for computerised systems from the car manufacturer,” ACCC Chair Rod Sims said.

“This enables motorists to shop around for the repairer that offers the best price, service and convenience, knowing they will all have access to the information needed to complete the servicing or repair.”

“Previously, only car manufacturers and their affiliated repairers could be confident of getting access to important service and repair information, preventing many independent repairers from competing fairly for car servicing and repair work. This created additional costs for consumers, as well as inconvenience and delays,” Mr Sims said.

“We believe the scheme provides a much fairer opportunity for independent Australian motor vehicle repairers to compete and will improve outcomes for consumers, and we welcome this important reform being passed by the Parliament.”

The ACCC’s 2017 new car retailing industry market study found that independent repairers experienced continued problems accessing information needed to repair and service new cars. This was despite a voluntary commitment made by car manufacturers in 2014 to provide independent repairers with the same information provided to authorised dealers.

The ACCC recommended introducing a mandatory scheme requiring car manufacturers to share the information needed to repair and service cars with independent repairers.

The study found problems with the breadth, depth and timeliness of the service and repair information offered by car manufacturers to independent repairers, including a lack of transparency and consistency across manufacturers about safety and security information."
In Australia MVIS only covers passenger and light goods vehicle classification (NA) up to 3500kg GVM. Above 3500kg gvm, NB1 medium goods vehicle, information sharing is at the manufactures discretion and is not mandatory. Unfortunately a person requires a repair business ABN or RTO to gain access.
Copied from "Motor Vehicle Service and Repair Information Sharing Scheme" Australian Government document.
2.1 Scheme vehicle
A scheme vehicle is a passenger vehicle (other than an omnibus) or a light goods vehicle within the meaning of a vehicle standard made under the Road Vehicle Standards Act 2018 (Cth) manufactured on or after 1 January 2002.The scheme does not apply to 2 or 3 wheeled vehicles, farm, construction or heavy vehicles, motorhomes or buses. If you are not sure whether a particular motor vehicle is a scheme vehicle, you should seek legal advice.

TNT647

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the diverse feedback. looks like I have to educate a local quick lube shop as well as have oil filter supplies in hand If I need oil change done Locally. Thank you Tazzieman for your spot on response.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the diverse feedback. looks like I have to educate a local quick lube shop as well as have oil filter supplies in hand If I need oil change done Locally. Thank you Tazzieman for your spot on response.
The filter and oil are easy enough to come by (especially if you have any BMW-centric shops around you, or are willing to order online)

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

OFF GRID SUPPORT​

We want to support our customers off the beaten track. So you will have access to workshops even where Grenadier isn’t sold. Alternatively, if you want or need to work on your own vehicles, you will have access to remote technical support from INEOS HQ. That could be by text, telephone, email, or in the shape of online manuals. If it’s a real emergency, our ‘Flying Spanners’ technicians will even fly to remote locations to keep your downtime to a minimum.

I am not sure this is worldwide but it is worth the question. Let the discussion begin TNT647

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
New car with a BMW engine….take it to a dealer while it is under warranty.
Luckily my agent is a BMW franchisee - along with just about every other major make of cars.
So my pre delivery inspection and any warranty work will be done in their BMW workshop - which really doesn't mean anything in a town as small as ours - but at least they should have some familiarity with the engine.

Local time
Reaction score
I have changed my own oil only thing I would say is you need a 32mm socket and universal joint to get to the filter housing on top of the engine and the plastic filter housing is only 25 Nm .

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have changed my own oil only thing I would say is you need a 32mm socket and universal joint to get to the filter housing on top of the engine and the plastic filter housing is only 25 Nm .
+1 for universal joint. Plus an extension bar.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is the oil filter located on top? I love that some brands are doing it this way now. Makes oil changes that much easier.

OP: Be careful with Lube shops, aka Jiffy Lube, etc…especially if they drain from the bottom. Some of those jokers will tighten the oil pan nut so its near impossible to get off the next time.

Many dealerships suck out the oil from the dipstick, so you don’t have to worry about them. I need to get a larger mighty-vac style fluid vaccum. Mine is too small (4.5L)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is the oil filter located on top? I love that some brands are doing it this way now. Makes oil changes that much easier.

OP: Be careful with Lube shops, aka Jiffy Lube, etc…especially if they drain from the bottom. Some of those jokers will tighten the oil pan nut so its near impossible to get off the next time.

Many dealerships suck out the oil from the dipstick, so you don’t have to worry about them. I need to get a larger mighty-vac style fluid vaccum. Mine is too small (4.5L)
There is no dipstick from which to extract oil. Can it be done from the oil-fill opening?

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IDK 🤷🏻‍♂️ The dipstick actually goes to the oil pan but I have no idea regarding the oil fill port.

I hate engines that don’t have a dip stick. I haven’t developed the confidence in trusting a sensor vs seeing the oil level with my own eyes😂😂

My RV is the same way.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I found this regarding the dip stick on the diesel engine. I wonder if there’s something similar for the gas/petrol engine also?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2l8QNTsepk
He discusses it starting at 2:42 in the video.

IDK if this makes sucking the oil possible or not because the access seems tight 🤷🏻‍♂️

He mentions our forum at the end. I’m assuming he’s a member here? If so, who Is he?

Back
Top Bottom