The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Who 'dailies' a Grenadier? Good, bad, and other experiences?

Local time
7:10 AM
Reaction score
Who drives their Grenadier in more of a daily role? Or, has taken a long trip in one?

My car appears to be totaled so, while I was looking at a Grenadier as a possible overlander and special occasion choice, it dawned on me it might be a good primary vehicle choice at this point. I was shopping an IG against an older import Toyota Series 70 Troopy or distant thoughts about a good Land Rover Defender 110 (which is an oxymoron in some circles :)).

What sort of real-world city and highway MPG are reasonable expectations? How about routine maintenance costs? Is the $1,000 oil change and service interval for a new Land Rover Defender (from LR sales agent) a reality for the IG too?

So, is the IG a crazy choice for a daily driver? Or is it just a premium option with relative costs like a Mercedes or BMW sedan? Or, would I be better off with a Porsche Macan for daily duty with an IG dedicated to Overlanding and vacations in general?

Local time
Reaction score
I travel light and a lot! I have a Taxa Tiger Moth that I was running with my Honda Accord I4M6 that I think is going to be totaled 😭 after being rear-ended this past Saturday. My real question is whether I do a short-term rental/lease and order a Grenadier, look for a canceled IG order, or do I do something really different since an IG isn't a good primary daily driver?

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
I've driven it daily for the last six days - 2200 miles and counting. I had the oil changed at 650 miles and it was around $250

Fuel economy is mid teens, but I expect that will improve to high teens once I'm on flatter ground.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
I daily mine, but it's diesel and in the UK. I love it, 14,500+ miles since the end of April.
Having said that, I am a nut, my previous daily driver was a 1989 LR110CSW, upgraded with a 200Tdi with a 1972 Morgan 4/4 1600 as my classic "high days and holidays" car.

Compared to a Macan, it will feel slow, but the Grenadier will ride better. Compared to a Series 70, the Grenadier will feel like a limo.

GPFACTOR

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
Been daily driving it for the past week and a half. 670 miles, love it. Im used to driving more Offroady style rigs so this is actually a treat. Definitely a comfortable daily driver with plenty of giddy up.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:10 AM
Reaction score
Picked mine up from Warner Ineos in SLC, UT. I drove back to Tucson via Las Vegas. It handled nicely on the interstate and 2-lane highways. I'm retired, so not driving anything daily, but running errands and whatnot, it's a fine vehicle. Just handles like a truck, because it is.

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Bought mine as a daily driver (replaced my 2021 Defender). Approximately 1,500 miles now with a 50/50 mix of city and interstate driving. It’s just as comfortable driving as the LR was, and I’d imagine the maintenance costs will be less. I’d bet the majority of Grenadiers out there are daily drivers.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:10 PM
Reaction score
Who drives their Grenadier in more of a daily role? Or, has taken a long trip in one?

My car appears to be totaled so, while I was looking at a Grenadier as a possible overlander and special occasion choice, it dawned on me it might be a good primary vehicle choice at this point. I was shopping an IG against an older import Toyota Series 70 Troopy or distant thoughts about a good Land Rover Defender 110 (which is an oxymoron in some circles :)).

What sort of real-world city and highway MPG are reasonable expectations? How about routine maintenance costs? Is the $1,000 oil change and service interval for a new Land Rover Defender (from LR sales agent) a reality for the IG too?

So, is the IG a crazy choice for a daily driver? Or is it just a premium option with relative costs like a Mercedes or BMW sedan? Or, would I be better off with a Porsche Macan for daily duty with an IG dedicated to Overlanding and vacations in general?
Have taken several long trips in mine and it has been awesome for that. It may be more a a daily driver prospect in North America, or at least some parts of North America, but here in Sydney and I assume much of Western Europe it’s less of a prospect it’s too tall for a lot of parking garages especially with racks on, and fuel usage is high and expensive. We use a small 4 cylinder runabout for most of our city use and the Grenadier is for highway and bush

Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
Drove mine to the mountains and back over the weekend. About 500 miles roundtrip. It's (somewhat reluctantly) replacing a '20 Land Cruiser HE (sold to a friend so I can buy it back if I'm not completely delighted with the IG). It has much more effortless power going over the passes (Eisenhower tunnel, Vail Pass, etc.) than the LC. In fact, I was able to use the cruise control for much of it. Not something I did with the LC. Seats were very comfortable.

The climate control is awful...unbearable at times. Hot or cold within one degree adjustment and constantly whistles. The front camera error light (telltale cluster) goes on and off randomly. Occasionally the triangle with the exclamation point would come on with no explanation on the display. Dials and switches are cheap and generally don't have a great "feel". Not real satisfying. Maybe I'm spoiled though.

I haven't taken it off-road yet, but I'm sure that's where it will shine.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:10 PM
Reaction score
Absolutely fine for me , town or country.
But I don't live in a place with multilane freeways , multiple tight roundabouts ,highly charged drivers etc
And where possible I avoid car parks. Because of other people.

Local time
Reaction score
Compared to a Macan, it will feel slow, but the Grenadier will ride better. Compared to a Series 70, the Grenadier will feel like a limo.
Comparing the Grenadier to the Macan is a bit like comparing an apple to a peanut IMHO! :)

Totally different vehicles designed for totally different goals. That being said, apples and peanuts are both good!

Local time
Reaction score
Have taken several long trips in mine and it has been awesome for that. It may be more a a daily driver prospect in North America, or at least some parts of North America, but here in Sydney and I assume much of Western Europe it’s less of a prospect it’s too tall for a lot of parking garages especially with racks on, and fuel usage is high and expensive. We use a small 4 cylinder runabout for most of our city use and the Grenadier is for highway and bush

Good points about other parts of the world with HUGE fuel costs. Regarding parking troubles, I still remember the challenge of getting my rental car into that parking spot at my hotel in the Netherlands and not being able to park in Amsterdam (had to leave and take a train back into town)! 🤬

Local time
Reaction score
The climate control is awful...unbearable at times. Hot or cold within one degree adjustment and constantly whistles. The front camera error light (telltale cluster) goes on and off randomly. Occasionally the triangle with the exclamation point would come on with no explanation on the display. Dials and switches are cheap and generally don't have a great "feel". Not real satisfying. Maybe I'm spoiled though.
I assume this is in regards to the Land Cruiser, Those are pretty basic assuming you are talking about the older ones.

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
Mine is my daily vehicle, averages around 400-420 miles to a tank. It gets used every day, around the farm and 2 or 3 times a week it’ll do a 40 mile journey. Occasionally an 80-100 mile run.

Doesn’t go into the city often, only done it twice but it was fine, no issues at all (I am used to driving a 5.5m van though, my wife is used to driving a Fiat 500 or an old Defender 90 so finds the Ineos a bit cumbersome in town.)

I do wonder if I should have got the petrol one. 🤔

Local time
Reaction score
Absolutely fine for me , town or country.
But I don't live in a place with multilane freeways , multiple tight roundabouts ,highly charged drivers etc
And where possible I avoid car parks. Because of other people.
Sounds a lot like me. I moved out of the big city to get away from the self-centered people in a hurry to beat me to the stoplight!

Local time
Reaction score
Mine is my daily vehicle, averages around 400-420 miles to a tank. It gets used every day, around the farm and 2 or 3 times a week it’ll do a 40 mile journey. Occasionally an 80-100 mile run.

Doesn’t go into the city often, only done it twice but it was fine, no issues at all (I am used to driving a 5.5m van though, my wife is used to driving a Fiat 500 or an old Defender 90 so finds the Ineos a bit cumbersome in town.)

I do wonder if I should have got the petrol one. 🤔

Personally, I would really like to get a 'good' Diesel. However, the modern versions with all the emissions controls have some huge repair costs and a lot of downtime in my experience in the USA.

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Personally, I would really like to get a 'good' Diesel. However, the modern versions with all the emissions controls have some huge repair costs and a lot of downtime in my experience in the USA.
Yep. The nature of what I do with mine means short journeys which bothers me a little with the DPF, lots of short journeys is not meant to be great for them.

EBCT

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I picked up my Grenadier about a week ago, have put 600+ miles on it. Great ride (better than I expected). Would also say the premium sound is very good, was expecting less so based on some comments. The steering does take more focus, with more correcting, but not an issue after a few hours at highway speeds.

I did have an issue with the rear door handle sticking (the button wouldn't release on the rear-passenger side), which prevents the door from closing. Some pushing/working the button got it released. The dealer knew about the issue, so mine is not the only experience with this. They say to rub some silicon on the button and work it in/out. Specifically said not to use WD-40 or spray something into the door cavity, but to rub it on the button and work it in.

Happy driving all!

Local time
Reaction score
I assume this is in regards to the Land Cruiser, Those are pretty basic assuming you are talking about the older ones.
He said that he had a 2020 Land Cruiser before the Grenadier - so here in the U.S. that would be the 200-series with the 5.7 naturally aspirated V8.

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is petrol, rather than diesel, a lot of thought went into that decision. Living on an island means fuel is more expensive - but long journeys a rarity. It is my daily driver, most journeys around the 15/20 mile mark. The roads tend to be full of potholes at this time of year, lots of loose stuff etc.

it was the right decision :)

Back
Top Bottom