The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Can BMW mechanics do oil change

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
I found this regarding the dip stick on the diesel engine. I wonder if there’s something similar for the gas/petrol engine also?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2l8QNTsepk
He discusses it starting at 2:42 in the video.

IDK if this makes sucking the oil possible or not because the access seems tight 🤷🏻‍♂️

He mentions our forum at the end. I’m assuming he’s a member here? If so, who Is he?
Who is he?!

@Ingemar is a Hard Way Home winner and an awesome guy! Learn all about him in EPISODE 2 of GRENADIER WORKS with Krabby & Stu!

TNT647

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IDK 🤷🏻‍♂️ The dipstick actually goes to the oil pan but I have no idea regarding the oil fill port.

I hate engines that don’t have a dip stick. I haven’t developed the confidence in trusting a sensor vs seeing the oil level with my own eyes😂😂

My RV is the same way.
Porsche 911 has not come with oil dipstick since the 997 model. but i do agree, its annoying. I thought the Grenadier was suppose to have a "go back to basics" philosophy!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
NA owners? I don’t know. But certainly our international members have many times over.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So…has any Grenadier owner actually completed an oil change?
My Trialmaster is due for and booked in for its first service, 15.000klm, this is not just an engine oil change and I am leaving it to the professionals...if it was just air, oil and fuel filters plus the oil I think I would be fine but not this one...it is it's first service and I am sure a lot of boxes will be ticked...well I hope so...I am led to believe that diff oils are changed not sure of the gearbox and transfer case...happy motoring (y)

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
NA owners? I don’t know. But certainly our international members have many times over.
[ Adam ] did (It won't let me tag him for some reason) a 500mi oil change at Lyle Pearson IIRC

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:51 PM
Reaction score
The filter and oil are easy enough to come by (especially if you have any BMW-centric shops around you, or are willing to order online)
Not sure about the petrol variants but in the case of the diesel, the Ineos air filter is different from the BMW. The oil filter will be the same as the one supplied by Ineos has BMW markings on it.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So…has any Grenadier owner actually completed an oil change?
Yes, I have. I did my first 4200 miles ago at 650 miles at the dealership in Boise. I intend to do my next at 6000 miles, whether that be at a local shop or upon my return to Philly for a windshield and other misc items.

I don't subscribe to annual or 12k mile oil change schedules, especially not with light weight modern oils and the high humidity environment I live in on the east coast.

6k mile oil changes are cheap insurance, and IMHO expected maintenance.

Last edited:

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you going to drain from the bottom or sucking from the dipstick?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Diesel has an unfriendly placed DS they really don’t want you to use, but it’s there. There is not even that on a petrol engine AFAIK.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

AWo

Local time
10:51 AM
Reaction score
😜10 hours driving might change your mind!

Pah, that is nothing!

When you bought a E-Smart, and you live, let*s say in St. Peter Ording, North of Germany you must go to the service in Bremen as not all Mercedes Workshops have educated and certified E-mechanics. Unfortunatley the Smart doesn't have enough capacity to drive from St. Peter Ording to Bremen in one turn, you have to charge the batteries on your way (159 km range, 40 minutes for 80%). Then you arrive at the workshop. While they service the car (between 2 and 4 hours), it is not allowed to charge it. So it has to be charged after the service again. Then you drive back and need another charge....

...in the end you probably need two days and one overnight stay....(ok, my story might be a little bit exaggerated....😜 )

AWo

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:51 PM
Reaction score
I haven't gone looking for one because to the best of my knowledge there isn't one to find.
On 27 Oct2022 @globalgregors posted 2 x pdf files. They are training docs. by BMW University relating in great detail to the design and function of the B57 and B58 engines respectively. Categorically. .there is no dipstick on the petrol B58.
There is a dipstick on the B57 diesel on the LHS towards the rear opp #5 cylinder. You need to remove the plastic engine cover for proper access ;) .
For those with a mechanical leaning, the documents in question are fascinating in terms of the detailed design
NOTE FOR DIESEL OWNERS:
Under the section on cooling the B57 doc. has a very detailed procedure for bleeding air out of the system. Far more detailed than reported elsewhere and perhaps useful for those whose heaters are not performing as well as expected....

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Last edited:

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On 27 Oct2022 @globalgregors posted 2 x pdf files. They are training docs. by BMW University relating in great detail to the design and function of the B57 and B58 engines respectively.

Could you post a link to those docs? I can't seem to find them.

Back
Top Bottom