The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Back-up camera

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:05 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone used the OBD2 power adapter from Wolfbox? Using a Y cable would also allow to keep the OBD2 port open for dianostics without having to unplug the Wolfbox.
That is an excellent suggestion. In fact, looks like wolfbox has a power adapter already available for this application.

2-way OBD2 splitter can be had for $20 bucks on amazon as well.

This is how I may go now to simplify wiring.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which The Grenadier Forum may be compensated.

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That is an excellent suggestion. In fact, looks like wool fox has a power adapter already available for this application.

2-way OBD2 splitter can be had for $20 bucks on amazon as well.

This is how I may go now to simplify wiring.
The splitter that I have for my work trucks GPS trackers comes with a slick Y cable with 8 different adapters to make it look factory.

20240104_182104265_iOS.jpg

This splitter or one like it might do the trick.

This site contains affiliate links for which The Grenadier Forum may be compensated.

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Power is in the port already. It should actually be a constant on as well.

Pin 16 is power supply on the port. As long pin 16 is used on the Wolfbox cable and the Grenadier we should be good to go. The 3 GPS trackers that I have used in the past all got their power from the port.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:05 AM
Reaction score
I found the power from the cigarette lighter fuse worked for me. Replaced the 3 amp fuse with the 2 amp connector wire from the Wolfbox. I continue to have power at the cigarette lighter (although not for a lighter itself but with a USB fitted) I have power to the Wolfbox via ignition and if I want the Wolfbox to stay live in a car park for instance, I can flick the overhead power switch and the Wolfbox will continue to record.

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Would there be any particular advantage to obtaining power in that way?
My thought is that the main advantage is ease of install vs running wires to the fuse block and tapping constant power + ACC power. Plug and Play. OBD2 port has both continual power and ACC switched power.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My thought is that the main advantage is ease of install vs running wires to the fuse block and tapping constant power + ACC power. Plug and Play. OBD2 port has both continual power and ACC switched power.
Surely you will still have to run wires behind panels if you want a clean look. Absolutely nothing wrong with your idea. More than one way to skin a cat. But not this little fella I hope 😁

Attachments

• IMG_0213.jpeg
    IMG_0213.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:05 AM
Reaction score
Concerning the back-up camera ...

I bought a Chinese one (everything is Chinese anyway, iPhone, IC's, our seat-belts in our Grenadier, ...) on Ali Express. I always do that when I want to test something that I am not sure I really need, and when it isn't critical. It did cost me 46€. Yes, only 46! Looks very much like the WolfBox, but of course I can't compare. Brand is e-ace from Yantop Group (E-ACE 2.5K Mirror Camera For Car Touch Screen Video Recorder Rearview Mirror Dashcam 1440P Wifi 24H Parking A37).

It arrived the same day at my place that @Voader - Oudersopzwier posted some information on his rear mirror camera install in this post.

No pictures yet but:
  • temporary install 2 days ago.
  • installed on top of the existing mirror
  • 12V from the cubby box
  • rear camera has a wire of 6m, installed (temporarily) with velcro inside the car on the rear window, as high as possible
  • wires are dangling on the passenger side grab handles, etc.
Experience until now:
  • image is really quite good, very happy: no doors visible anymore, no spare wheel neither! :)
  • even in the rain it works, but I have to use my rear wiper more often than previously
  • due to the quite wide angle it diminishes my blind angle quite a lot! A real added value!
  • touch screen: I can swipe the image higher or lower
  • I can also take pictures with the touch screen, but the sensitivity of the screen button isn't that good
  • it records front images and back images in small batches of 1 minute (my SD card, bought yesterday in a local shop cost almost as much as the mirror/camera: 35€ :eek: )
  • even images at night are quite OK, but when a car is too close, the lights of it are a quite big glaring stain on the screen.
  • other negative point: cars look further away than they really are, but probably I will get used to it.
  • and another one: the metal fixing system of the rear view camera is somewhat "Chinese crap".
Conclusion: a real added value!
Once I am done with the testing I will look for a final mount, but with the possibility to remove it easily.

(For those who know my crap stuff testing: my Chinese DC-AC invertor works again: I made a mistake while putting back in place a removable component inside the electronics; still no final install in my Grenadier, but close to).

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Concerning the back-up camera ...

I bought a Chinese one (everything is Chinese anyway, iPhone, IC's, our seat-belts in our Grenadier, ...) on Ali Express. I always do that when I want to test something that I am not sure I really need, and when it isn't critical. It did cost me 46€. Yes, only 46! Looks very much like the WolfBox, but of course I can't compare. Brand is e-ace from Yantop Group (E-ACE 2.5K Mirror Camera For Car Touch Screen Video Recorder Rearview Mirror Dashcam 1440P Wifi 24H Parking A37).

It arrived the same day at my place that @Voader - Oudersopzwier posted some information on his rear mirror camera install in this post.

No pictures yet but:
  • temporary install 2 days ago.
  • installed on top of the existing mirror
  • 12V from the cubby box
  • rear camera has a wire of 6m, installed (temporarily) with velcro inside the car on the rear window, as high as possible
  • wires are dangling on the passenger side grab handles, etc.
Experience until now:
  • image is really quite good, very happy: no doors visible anymore, no spare wheel neither! :)
  • even in the rain it works, but I have to use my rear wiper more often than previously
  • due to the quite wide angle it diminishes my blind angle quite a lot! A real added value!
  • touch screen: I can swipe the image higher or lower
  • I can also take pictures with the touch screen, but the sensitivity of the screen button isn't that good
  • it records front images and back images in small batches of 1 minute (my SD card, bought yesterday in a local shop cost almost as much as the mirror/camera: 35€ :eek: )
  • even images at night are quite OK, but when a car is too close, the lights of it are a quite big glaring stain on the screen.
  • other negative point: cars look further away than they really are, but probably I will get used to it.
  • and another one: the metal fixing system of the rear view camera is somewhat "Chinese crap".
Conclusion: a real added value!
Once I am done with the testing I will look for a final mount, but with the possibility to remove it easily.

(For those who know my crap stuff testing: my Chinese DC-AC invertor works again: I made a mistake while putting back in place a removable component inside the electronics; still no final install in my Grenadier, but close to).
This is great. Can you show where you mounted the rear camera for your testing? Did you stick it to the rear windscreen?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is great. Can you show where you mounted the rear camera for your testing? Did you stick it to the rear windscreen?
Yes to the rear windscreen (no pictures yet, and it is night now), in fact to the plastic trim around the windscreen, as high up as I could, in the middle of the "car width", not in the middle of the door of course.

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes to the rear windscreen (no pictures yet, and it is night now), in fact to the plastic trim around the windscreen, as high up as I could, in the middle of the "car width", not in the middle of the door of course.
Thanks I think this is what I will do too. I thought about mounting outside on the top of the door but concerned that it will get knocked off if i go through car wash. Any details and pictures on when you actually wire it up would be extremely helpful as well ;) Merci Jean!

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks I think this is what I will do too. I thought about mounting outside on the top of the door but concerned that it will get knocked off if i go through car wash. Any details and pictures on when you actually wire it up would be extremely helpful as well ;) Merci Jean!
If you search a bit you will already find some pictures on the forum about camera mounts and the removal of the trims of the back door, and there was even somebody who succeeded in adding a wire to the wire loom of the back door, pushing it inside the hose. A long time ago, June or so ..

FieldMonster

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks I think this is what I will do too. I thought about mounting outside on the top of the door but concerned that it will get knocked off if i go through car wash.

I tried both.

Outside, just above the number plate, gives a weirdly low-to-the-road view. The view looks slightly unnatural on such a big vehicle. (I would have been interested to try to top of the roof but didn’t want to drill a hole. Plus…) Worse, when the rain builds up on the camera there’s nothing you can do.

Inside, at the top of the rear window in line with the centre of the vehicle, the view is more natural. Better situational awareness too, when reversing. (Though still needs the built in camera to know when you are really close to something). Best of all, when it’s raining you can at least use the windscreen wiper. I like this setup a lot more.

Last edited:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I tried both.

Outside, just above the number plate, gives a weirdly low-to-the-road view. The view looks slightly unnatural on such a big vehicle. (I would have been interested to try to top of the roof but didn’t want to drill a hole. Plus…) Worse, when the rain builds up on the camera there’s nothing you can do.

Inside, at the top of the rear window in line with the centre of the vehicle, the view is more natural. Better situational awareness too, when reversing. (Though still needs the built in camera to know when you are really close to something). Best of all, when it’s raining you can at least use the windscreen wiper. I like this setup a lot more.
I have mine on the rear of the roof and you are quite correct regarding keeping it clean. I do however like the fact I can see over my trailer.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:05 AM
Reaction score
I tried both.

Inside, at the top of the rear window in line with the centre of the vehicle, the view is more natural. Best of all, when it’s raining you can at least use the windscreen wiper. I like this setup a lot more.
I'm in the process of installing a Wolfbox in my Grenny. I confirmed that the top of the rear window is the best camera location for me. Cheshire's location is optimal as well. I just want to keep the camera inside.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have mine on the rear of the roof and you are quite correct regarding keeping it clean. I do however like the fact I can see over my trailer.
Is it a catch 22 - better view on top, but crap in rain or safe and dry inside, but not as good a view?

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:05 AM
Reaction score
Maybe all us Wolfbox folks can share rear camera recordings in the near future to compare.

Back
Top Bottom