The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Back-up camera

Novoniil

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
7:10 AM
Reaction score
I recently had an opportunity to test drive the Trialmaster. Impressive to say the least. I, however would like to know your opinion, whether you are an owner or did a test drive - HOW AWFUL IS THE BACKUP CAMERA DISPLAY?

Apologies about the all caps there but what I saw while backing up is God awful…..clearly something that belongs in 2000s. My mind was blown thinking, someone came up with this design of a tiny display with even worse resolution.

My question to whoever the group is as follows:

1: Is it the camera or display that is at fault here?
2. If its the camera, keeping my fingers crossed, has anyone attempted to upgrade it successfully?

Thanks

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:10 PM
Reaction score
For me it's a novelty. I've coped without one , towing and reversing stuff (but not 50ft motorhomes) for decades.
If you want a high quality setup than what's provided in the package , buy a more expensive vehicle. Or pay the man to upgrade it.

Novoniil

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
For me it's a novelty. I've coped without one , towing and reversing stuff (but not 50ft motorhomes) for decades.
If you want a high quality setup than what's provided in the package , buy a more expensive vehicle. Or pay the man to upgrade it.
Paying $100k usd, I would assume it should have a better backup camera/display than a Kia that costs 1/4 the price. You don’t necessarily have to pay more to get better experience but be at least on par with the industry. Should not be even a debate given how this vehicle was built ground up. I had a 2012 BMW 330, that had better backup camera than this. I mentioned the bimmer because essentially, the module is being borrowed off of them. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Fyi: per US law, backup camera is mandatory, not a novelty.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Paying $100k usd, I would assume it should have a better backup camera/display than a Kia that costs 1/4 the price. You don’t necessarily have to pay more to get better experience but be at least on par with the industry. Should not be even a debate given how this vehicle was built ground up. I had a 2012 BMW 330, that had better backup camera than this. I mentioned the bimmer because essentially, the module is being borrowed off of them. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Fyi: per US law, backup camera is mandatory, not a novelty.
Backup camera is also mandatory in Australia and as you say it wouldn't have been hard to do it well.
I don't need the 360 camera views but a good reversing camera is essential in a vehicle like this.
Too many kids reversed over in Australia by people in SUV's & 4WD's
Plenty of spots to mount one or two dead centre
1698280293532.png

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
After driving the trucks 4-5 days a week for nearly 3 months, honestly, it was never an issue. Between the mirrors, parking sensors, and camera, I never had a doubt or question about what was behind me.

Could it be better? Sure, but it is one of those things that I believe is purely there as a check-mark because it has to be, not because it is a core "component" in the ethos of the vehicle.

Do I absolutely love the 360º camera in my Sprinter? Absolutely, primarily because it is huge and with no windows, a bit of a pain to see out of; neither of those are really true about the Grenadier (ok, the RoW will say it is a large vehicle, but by US standards, it isn't).

To answer your question, I would imagine it is a bit of both (camera and display); again having a ultra high end infotainment system was unlikely listed as an upper tier requirement by Sir Jim in the design of the Grenadier. Can the camera be upgraded? Possibly? But I would imagine we are at least 6-12 months out for anything like that to even start to be figured out by the aftermarket world.

Novoniil

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Backup camera is also mandatory in Australia and as you say it wouldn't have been hard to do it well.
I don't need the 360 camera views but a good reversing camera is essential in a vehicle like this.
Too many kids reversed over in Australia by people in SUV's & 4WD's
Plenty of spots to mount one or two dead centre
View attachment 7830774
Exactly. I am not asking for 360, surround, front, side view…just a decent camera while backing up specially in the mall parking lot and around the neighborhood when kids are out and playing. This vehicle is very tall. I doubt, you can see much while reversing.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I recently had an opportunity to test drive the Trialmaster. Impressive to say the least. I, however would like to know your opinion, whether you are an owner or did a test drive - HOW AWFUL IS THE BACKUP CAMERA DISPLAY?

Apologies about the all caps there but what I saw while backing up is God awful…..clearly something that belongs in 2000s. My mind was blown thinking, someone came up with this design of a tiny display with even worse resolution.

My question to whoever the group is as follows:

1: Is it the camera or display that is at fault here?
2. If its the camera, keeping my fingers crossed, has anyone attempted to upgrade it successfully?

Thanks
I don’t think it’s a critical issue, but could definitely be better. 3 issues 1. Camera not the highest quality 2. Camera is offset a bit, but you get used to it. 3. The camera picture takes up much less of the display than it could. I hope in some future software update they may fix that last one. Some people have definitely added their own rear view mirror replacement system

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some people have definitely added their own rear view mirror replacement system
This seems to be the easiest and most cost effective option at this current moment, and place the camera where ever makes your heart happy

Novoniil

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a critical issue, but could definitely be better. 3 issues 1. Camera not the highest quality 2. Camera is offset a bit, but you get used to it. 3. The camera picture takes up much less of the display than it could. I hope in some future software update they may fix that last one. Some people have definitely added their own rear view mirror replacement system
Agree with all 3. Given how large the infotaintment system is, the rear display is tiny.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:10 PM
Reaction score
The camera does ok in daylight. But it’s partial blinded by the number plate lights at night. I tried to tape them to reduce the light but that’s not a real solution!

21DFND

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I installed the Gator GRV92MKT 9" rear view mirror. I have been using it for a few years in my other car and comes with an extra camera to mount onto the back of my trailer as well. Runs all the time and doubles as a mirror as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2334.jpg
    IMG_2334.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_2335.jpg
    IMG_2335.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_2348.jpg
    IMG_2348.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 256

Alprider

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:10 PM
Reaction score
The camera seems ok to me but the off centre mounting takes a few goes hooking up my boat trailer to get the offset correct, I have no idea why they didn't mount it centrally... aesthetics maybe? Daft reason if that is the case.
I wonder if there is enough slack in cable to shift it to the left and put a rubber bung in the hole in the door?

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Come on guys, where are the torches and pitchforks? What this man has suggested is sacrilege!
Come on if the world needs to pile on here and attack attack attack. That camera renders images the quality of the Sistine chapel, and must not be challenged.
Don’t be pussified by 1990’s tech forced on you by big government.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:10 PM
Reaction score
After driving the trucks 4-5 days a week for nearly 3 months, honestly, it was never an issue. Between the mirrors, parking sensors, and camera, I never had a doubt or question about what was behind me.

Could it be better? Sure, but it is one of those things that I believe is purely there as a check-mark because it has to be, not because it is a core "component" in the ethos of the vehicle.

Do I absolutely love the 360º camera in my Sprinter? Absolutely, primarily because it is huge and with no windows, a bit of a pain to see out of; neither of those are really true about the Grenadier (ok, the RoW will say it is a large vehicle, but by US standards, it isn't).

To answer your question, I would imagine it is a bit of both (camera and display); again having a ultra high end infotainment system was unlikely listed as an upper tier requirement by Sir Jim in the design of the Grenadier. Can the camera be upgraded? Possibly? But I would imagine we are at least 6-12 months out for anything like that to even start to be figured out by the aftermarket world.
I too have a Sprinter with 360 cameras, driving the Grenadier means you have to far more vigilant, while i do like all of the vision and safety tech I personally think it does make me lazy. Saying that, the only thing I'd like on the Gen is better mirrors

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I installed the Gator GRV92MKT 9" rear view mirror. I have been using it for a few years in my other car and comes with an extra camera to mount onto the back of my trailer as well. Runs all the time and doubles as a mirror as well.
I bought one of these and found that the power and camera connection cables contact the airbag display and prevebt me from adjusting the mirror to my preferred position. How did you get around this?

Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
I prefer vehicles with as little tech as possible. I still prefer manual transmission, manual transfer case, mechanical lockers (not ones that are electronically activated). and I don't use auto-headlights (I just turn them on when I need the light). But I do really like three pieces of tech:

1. Backup camera
2. Heated seats
3. Heated steering wheel

When these work - they make my life better. If they fail, it has no real impact on the vehicle, and does not prevent the vehicle from getting you wherever you need to go. That's my kind of tech.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
But I do really like three pieces of tech:

1. Backup camera
2. Heated seats
3. Heated steering wheel

When these work - they make my life better. If they fail, it has no real impact on the vehicle, and does not prevent the vehicle from getting you wherever you need to go. That's my kind of tech.
What if the SW gets too hot to touch?

Back
Top Bottom