The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Back-up camera

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:14 AM
Reaction score
Just finished adding a camera/mirror purchased from AliExpress and the rear view visibility (1080K) issue is history, it's a perfect upgrade. It took about 3 hours to run and hide the rear camera wiring (get the longer 10 meter option) and to tie into the back of the cigarette lighter for power which turns off when the ignition key is off. The unit also has a front facing 4K camera with loop recording and you can also get it with GPS but I did not. Price was excellent compared to the Wolfbox unit. (probably made in the same factory) I did not bother tying it into the reversing light option, the camera/mirror is on all the time and I refer to the rear back-up guidelines on the Grenadier's infotainment center for direction. 140 and 180 degree of vision upfront so excellent visibility all round. Comes with a 5W power plug for inserting into a standard cigarette lighter, I purchased a female 12v plug from Amazon and connected the two and wired them into the back of the Grenadier's 12v lighter so it's all hidden from sight with no power cord running along the floor and over the center console. I purchased the 10" mirror which fits perfectly and the front camera in unobstructed, I contemplated getting the 12" mirror but its too big and unnecessary.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:14 AM
Reaction score
Just finished adding a camera/mirror purchased from AliExpress and the rear view visibility (1080K) issue is history, it's a perfect upgrade. It took about 3 hours to run and hide the rear camera wiring (get the longer 10 meter option) and to tie into the back of the cigarette lighter for power which turns off when the ignition key is off. The unit also has a front facing 4K camera with loop recording and you can also get it with GPS but I did not. Price was excellent compared to the Wolfbox unit. (probably made in the same factory) I did not bother tying it into the reversing light option, the camera/mirror is on all the time and I refer to the rear back-up guidelines on the Grenadier's infotainment center for direction. 140 and 180 degree of vision upfront so excellent visibility all round. Comes with a 5W power plug for inserting into a standard cigarette lighter, I purchased a female 12v plug from Amazon and connected the two and wired them into the back of the Grenadier's 12v lighter so it's all hidden from sight with no power cord running along the floor and over the center console. I purchased the 10" mirror which fits perfectly and the front camera in unobstructed, I contemplated getting the 12" mirror but its too big and unnecessary.

What cigarette lighter? Where?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
Oh, I know that one. It's NOT a lighter. Just a 12v. outlet.
Correct, but those of a certain age still refer to it as a lighter plug if only to differentiate from a USB power outlet. Never smoked in my life, so other than the fascination of seeing the little round red rings as a kid, I have only ever used it for supplying power.

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Correct, but those of a certain age still refer to it as a lighter plug if only to differentiate from a USB power outlet. Never smoked in my life, so other than the fascination of seeing the little round red rings as a kid, I have only ever used it for supplying power.
Ever wonder why Ineos didn't add the typical LED halo light commonly found surrounding the typical cigarette lighter/12 volt power outlet and add similar to the ignition key hole? That thing is buried and hard to find generally and really tough in the dark, it's super annoying and has me craving for a push button start.

Team321

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
thank you for posting the video... after seeing it, i went shopping for a camera and saw there were quite a few options of wolfbox cameras... can you offer any insight into why you chose the G890? thank you again for posting the wire routing video... i'm picking up mine next week and that will be my first add.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:14 AM
Reaction score
thank you for posting the video... after seeing it, i went shopping for a camera and saw there were quite a few options of wolfbox cameras... can you offer any insight into why you chose the G890? thank you again for posting the wire routing video... i'm picking up mine next week and that will be my first add.
I may be wrong, but I found the G890 to be the largest of the Wolfbox screens. The field of view is so wide, there's barely any blind spot.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I found the G890 to be the largest of the Wolfbox screens. The field of view is so wide, there's barely any blind spot.
That's encouraging! However (there's always a 'however' ;)) I'm interested in how well the image provided faithfully represents the actual distance of an object from the rear camera compared to a flat mirror. My gripe with convex mirrors, (and wide angle lenses), is that it's difficult to judge the closeness to the rear of one's vehicle of an object -be it anything from a car to a 64 wheel road train (!) to judge sufficient room with an adequate safety margin when merging, or resuming one's lane after overtaking.... the slightly convex external mirrors on my Grenadier, the Hyundai Santa Fe and my wife's Subaru respectively are problematic in this respect. I've come to the conclusion, rightly or wrongly, that my expletives uttered (silently of course! :cool:) questioning the parentage of over-takers unsafely resuming their lane, might be presumptuous on my part and may in fact be due to their ignorance of the image properties of convex mirrors... .:rolleyes:

Last edited:

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:14 AM
Reaction score
That's encouraging! However (there's always a 'however' ;)) I'm interested in how well the image provided faithfully represents the actual distance of an object from the rear camera compared to a flat mirror. My gripe with convex mirrors, (and wide angle lenses), is that it's difficult to judge the closeness to the rear of one's vehicle of an object -be it anything from a car to a 64 wheel road train (!) to judge sufficient room with an adequate safety margin when merging, or resuming one's lane after overtaking.... the slightly convex external mirrors on my Grenadier, the Hyundai Santa Fe and my wife's Subaru respectively are frankly dangerous in this respect. I've come to the conclusion, rightly or wrongly, that my expletives uttered (silently of course! :cool:) as to the suspect parentage of over-takers unsafely resuming their lane, may be presumptuous on my part and may in fact be due to their ignorance of the image properties of convex mirrors... .:rolleyes:
Objects far away look further away than on a regular rearview mirror. Objects close to you will look like they're right on your tail, hence the advantage of adjusting the viewing angle. The Wolfbox is sufficient for alerting the driver of the presence of vehicles in the rear and part of the side spaces. Distance from the driver is another thing.

Last edited:

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Objects far away look further away than on a regular rearview mirror. Objects close to you will look like they're right on your tail, hence the advantage of adjusting the viewing angle. The Wolfbox is sufficient for alerting the driver of the presence of vehicles in the rear and part of the side spaces. Distance from the driver is another thing.
Correct but 100% improvement in visibility.

Luc

Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
Concerning the back-up camera ...

I bought a Chinese one (everything is Chinese anyway, iPhone, IC's, our seat-belts in our Grenadier, ...) on Ali Express. I always do that when I want to test something that I am not sure I really need, and when it isn't critical. It did cost me 46€. Yes, only 46! Looks very much like the WolfBox, but of course I can't compare. Brand is e-ace from Yantop Group (E-ACE 2.5K Mirror Camera For Car Touch Screen Video Recorder Rearview Mirror Dashcam 1440P Wifi 24H Parking A37).

It arrived the same day at my place that @Voader - Oudersopzwier posted some information on his rear mirror camera install in this post.

No pictures yet but:
  • temporary install 2 days ago.
  • installed on top of the existing mirror
  • 12V from the cubby box
  • rear camera has a wire of 6m, installed (temporarily) with velcro inside the car on the rear window, as high as possible
  • wires are dangling on the passenger side grab handles, etc.
Experience until now:
  • image is really quite good, very happy: no doors visible anymore, no spare wheel neither! :)
  • even in the rain it works, but I have to use my rear wiper more often than previously
  • due to the quite wide angle it diminishes my blind angle quite a lot! A real added value!
  • touch screen: I can swipe the image higher or lower
  • I can also take pictures with the touch screen, but the sensitivity of the screen button isn't that good
  • it records front images and back images in small batches of 1 minute (my SD card, bought yesterday in a local shop cost almost as much as the mirror/camera: 35€ :eek: )
  • even images at night are quite OK, but when a car is too close, the lights of it are a quite big glaring stain on the screen.
  • other negative point: cars look further away than they really are, but probably I will get used to it.
  • and another one: the metal fixing system of the rear view camera is somewhat "Chinese crap".
Conclusion: a real added value!
Once I am done with the testing I will look for a final mount, but with the possibility to remove it easily.

(For those who know my crap stuff testing: my Chinese DC-AC invertor works again: I made a mistake while putting back in place a removable component inside the electronics; still no final install in my Grenadier, but close to).
Hi.
Hello.
I have a dascam exactly the same and for the moment, everything is perfect, although I have not yet managed to do two things:
I download the 3 -minute videos via wifi. They are a 1920 x 1080 h.264 30FPM resolution and it does not allow me to send them via WhatsApp, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I also added GPS module and the position and speed appear in the mirror, but I don't know how to see the route with an application for the PC.

I hope you enjoy that Dashcam China for a long time.

All the best.

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I recently had an opportunity to test drive the Trialmaster. Impressive to say the least. I, however would like to know your opinion, whether you are an owner or did a test drive - HOW AWFUL IS THE BACKUP CAMERA DISPLAY?

Apologies about the all caps there but what I saw while backing up is God awful…..clearly something that belongs in 2000s. My mind was blown thinking, someone came up with this design of a tiny display with even worse resolution.

My question to whoever the group is as follows:

1: Is it the camera or display that is at fault here?
2. If its the camera, keeping my fingers crossed, has anyone attempted to upgrade it successfully?

Thanks
Have done exactly the same thing from AliExpress no issues whatsoever and a worthwhile addition no doubt.

Back
Top Bottom