The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Back-up camera

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
Is it a catch 22 - better view on top, but crap in rain or safe and dry inside, but not as good a view?
Can’t deal with crap in rain or snow when you require a consistent view of rear traffic. Mine will go inside, high, center of the vehicle looking through rear window. Initially, at least.

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm also going to add a Mirror/Dash Cam Rear View Mirror, really it's a no brainer option considering how lousy the rearward vision is on the IG. I had a Corvette and a Fiat 500 behind me recently at the traffic light and I couldn't see them at all. Mirror gives you unobstructed 140 degree view out back and also has a forward facing camera plus it has a video recording feature and other options if desired. Check out a ton of options on AliExpress, they're half the price on that site and they're all made in China anyway.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
@Cheshire cat. Did you or are you thinking about,using the universal rear mirror arm to make it look OEM?
Apologies for delay in reply. The Wolfbox looks about 90% OEM even when secured with its rubber bands. I keep thinking on how to make it look 100% OEM. A work in progress.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can’t deal with crap in rain or snow when you require a consistent view of rear traffic. Mine will go inside, high, center of the vehicle looking through rear window. Initially, at least.
This is the rear view on my Wolfbox 900. Last cleaned it a week ago. Have coated the lens with RainX. My camera is on the roof. Weather here in UK is currently very wet and cold.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 135

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is the rear view on my Wolfbox 900. Last cleaned it a week ago. Have coated the lens with RainX. My camera is on the roof. Weather here in UK is currently very wet and cold.
This pic demonstrates the reflective qualities of the mirror when switched off. Ie. You can use as a conventional mirror if required.
Thank you for posting both of these. They answer most of my questions.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was poking around a while ago and found this company. It looks very much like what’s in my ND.

I haven’t done any more research beyond finding the website but if it’s not cost prohibitive and available to the public, it might be a good option.

FWIW, My experience has been that a roof mount is the way to go. I’ve driven around in the ND this winter where the rear glass is completely covered with snow or mud but the rear view camera is unaffected. I have noticed that rain doesn’t really affect the view. Snow obviously has to be removed, as well as, when things ice over but gently removing ice from a small lens is much easier than scraping away an entire rear window😂😂

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does the
I was poking around a while ago and found this company. It looks very much like what’s in my ND.

I haven’t done any more research beyond finding the website but if it’s not cost prohibitive and available to the public, it might be a good option.

FWIW, My experience has been that a roof mount is the way to go. I’ve driven around in the ND this winter where the rear glass is completely covered with snow or mud but the rear view camera is unaffected. I have noticed that rain doesn’t really affect the view. Snow obviously has to be removed, as well as, when things ice over but gently removing ice from a small lens is much easier than scraping away an entire rear window😂😂
Does the Defender rear view camera not have a little hood on it that possibly helps reduce the crud collection?

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
Does the

Does the Defender rear view camera not have a little hood on it that possibly helps reduce the crud collection?
Hi Cheshire cat, I have a ND and the lens is just tucked back a bit in the housing, however not to the point you would call it a hood. My experiences are the same as Jiman01 in that I rarely have to clean the lens and when I do if takes less then 2 seconds. DaBull

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Cheshire cat, I have a ND and the lens is just tucked back a bit in the housing, however not to the point you would call it a hood. My experiences are the same as Jiman01 in that I rarely have to clean the lens and when I do if takes less then 2 seconds. DaBull
Hi DaBull
My external rear camera on my Wolfbox is also pretty good at resisting dirt. Every week or so I give it a wipe. Attached is a pic showing rear vision following a week of miserable British weather.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 79

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score

Hi Jiman01, That does look like the ND rear view roof mounted camera. I have a ND and the roof mount works great for the reasons you mentioned. DaBull

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What is the cost of the Gentex version with recording facility?

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score

Good spotting.
They're distributed through Voxx Electronics Corporation. US$899.99 MSRP. Their dealer locator page shows these mirrors are sold through car audio shops.

Owners manual here.
Installation manual here.

Standard shoe mount so installation would need to be figured out.
Anyone stateside keen to check it out as an alternative to Wolfbox?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I like the OEM appeal but struggle with the price being so much more. If I can tidy the wires as they enter the mirror I would be 100% happy with the setup.

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I installed the Gator GRV92MKT 9" rear view mirror. I have been using it for a few years in my other car and comes with an extra camera to mount onto the back of my trailer as well. Runs all the time and doubles as a mirror as well.
I have the tinted window package on my field master I wonder if that’s going to be an issue with the rear camera mounted inside. Anybody have any experience?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score
I have the tinted window package on my field master I wonder if that’s going to be an issue with the rear camera mounted inside. Anybody have any experience?
Yes. Not in my opinion.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
I plan to run with a roof top tent mounted full time (my Gren will not be a daily driver) and am wondering whether mounting the rear view camera just under the back of the RTT to keep it out of the elements will work. The view would be higher than normal, but the camera can be tilted down. I'll have to play around with that option after I get the vehicle and RTT.

Back
Top Bottom