The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Back-up camera

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:58 AM
Reaction score
I plan to run with a roof top tent mounted full time (my Gren will not be a daily driver) and am wondering whether mounting the rear view camera just under the back of the RTT to keep it out of the elements will work. The view would be higher than normal, but the camera can be tilted down. I'll have to play around with that option after I get the vehicle and RTT.
I'm not sure how close to the rear edge of a RTT would be, but if the camera is positioned too far forward you might get the roof itself in the images and/or have difficulty angling it down enough to be useful.

Certainly a good idea though!

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I plan to run with a roof top tent mounted full time (my Gren will not be a daily driver) and am wondering whether mounting the rear view camera just under the back of the RTT to keep it out of the elements will work. The view would be higher than normal, but the camera can be tilted down. I'll have to play around with that option after I get the vehicle and RTT.
I have my roof rack on full-time and a mixed use vehicle. I will still mount the rear camera inside the rear door window.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:58 PM
Reaction score
I have the tinted window package on my field master I wonder if that’s going to be an issue with the rear camera mounted inside. Anybody have any experience?
No issue at all! I have the tinted glass and my temporary mount is inside, my final will be inside too.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
I'm not sure how close to the rear edge of a RTT would be, but if the camera is positioned too far forward you might get the roof itself in the images and/or have difficulty angling it down enough to be useful.

Certainly a good idea though!
Yeah, I'll play around with it and the view compared to inside the back door. I also have the privacy glass optioned. It'll be fun. Damn, aren't we a bunch of gear nerds?

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My rear window is tinted from the factory and aftermarket. Here's what the camera feed looks like (fast forward for night):
Thanks a ton much appreciated So you have a double tint?

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IMO, based on the shark fin style roof mount on my ND, whether you put it on the roof or mounted on the deck of your RTT (assuming I’m reading that right), it’ll be the same. IMO the biggest advantage of a roof mount is not needing to clean the rear window if it’s sloppy outside. From my time in Wranglers, ND, and other vehicles with flat glass on the back they get dirty really fast. I’ve run out of washer fluid on some longer runs in my Jeeps trying to keep the rear window usable 😂😂

I think that as long as the camera is designed for exterior mounting and there are no clearance issues with roof racks and such, it’s the way to go based on my limited experience.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IMO, based on the shark fin style roof mount on my ND, whether you put it on the roof or mounted on the deck of your RTT (assuming I’m reading that right), it’ll be the same. IMO the biggest advantage of a roof mount is not needing to clean the rear window if it’s sloppy outside. From my time in Wranglers, ND, and other vehicles with flat glass on the back they get dirty really fast. I’ve run out of washer fluid on some longer runs in my Jeeps trying to keep the rear window usable 😂😂

I think that as long as the camera is designed for exterior mounting and there are no clearance issues with roof racks and such, it’s the way to go based on my limited experience.
The rear window wiper arcs right across where I have the camera mounted so I don't have to stop and clean much.
1000008234.jpg

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wolfbox G890 mounted inside top of 70% rear door in the rain with some wiper action...
I really like how you mounted it inside. I want to get a Wolfbox but don't trust myself enough to. Waiting for someone to post a detailed "How-to" or better yet a video before I muster up the courage to take this on.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I really like how you mounted it inside. I want to get a Wolfbox but don't trust myself enough to. Waiting for someone to post a detailed "How-to" or better yet a video before I muster up the courage to take this on.
The Grenadier is, by far, the easiest vehicle I've worked with to route cables. It's almost as if it was designed for easy cable routing underneath seals and molding. I found the Wolfbox a bit daunting at first, given so much wiring. I opted for cigarette lighter power for now. Easiest way to power it up with a splitter in the middle cubby. I don't know how easy or difficult it would be with carpeting. My Trialmaster has the easy-to-clean plastic/foam flooring. I'll try to video the wiring routing tomorrow.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is still sitting in the box, waiting for a warmer weather install.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think I may route the rear camera wire above the headliner, then down the D-pillar and through the flexible rubber tube and into the rear door. Power will likely go down the A-pillar to the fuse box. I also ordered an OEM mount to see if I can fit this to the Grenadier factory mirror ball mount.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Low production quality wiring video...
You may have already considered this and found it wouldn’t work, but on my ND, there is a similar corrugated hose that houses all the wires from the rear door into the main vehicle. I was able to access that hose by unscrewing the rear interior door panel when I installed a switch back there.

That way you don’t have to worry about coiling it around that strut.

I’m not one to talk since I don’t even have my Gren yet, just an observation 🤙🤙

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have been driving with my camera on the roof for over a week. Aside from grime build up from the snow, ice and rain, the view has been great. I ran my wire for the camera to the passenger (right) side along the roof.

I haven't run the power yet but that will likely run down the driver side A pillar to the fuse block under the ignition. Ground would be below the A piler behind the panel. But I might try running it to the under seat since the space is easier to work with.

EDIT: Has anyone attached the red wire for the back up lines?

Attachments

• 20240123_173634364_iOS.jpg
    20240123_173634364_iOS.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You may have already considered this and found it wouldn’t work, but on my ND, there is a similar corrugated hose that houses all the wires from the rear door into the main vehicle. I was able to access that hose by unscrewing the rear interior door panel when I installed a switch back there.

That way you don’t have to worry about coiling it around that strut.

I’m not one to talk since I don’t even have my Gren yet, just an observation 🤙🤙
Thank you. I plan to route the camera wire through the hose eventually. It just requires the removal of panels that I still have to figure out.

Back
Top Bottom