The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol/Gas B58 Petrol engine tuning anyone?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:35 PM
Reaction score
Is anyone considering aftermarket tuning options to pull more power and torque from the B58 power plant?
There isn’t to much torque to win if you do not want to stress the automatic which only allows 500 NM max torque in the petrols version (I hope the figure is right)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:35 PM
Reaction score
I'd look to this guy who should be getting one soon:

Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
Yes of course, there is a risk, however this BMW powertrain is reputed to be very robust.
Not suggesting a tune that pushes it to the limit but rather improving output while keeping
within the design limits.

Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
You guys must be fun at parties.

Depending on how things look, I'd consider at least optimizing the fuel maps.

Once more junkard engines are available from supras and bmws, it be fun to do a stupid build. There is something oddly satisfying about rolling burnouts in a 4x4.

Here's an interesting teardown video discussing the potential of the engine. This guy gets over 1000hp on a stock bottom end. Even if you're not considering a tune, it's fun to see all the components parts and how the engine works.

View: https://youtu.be/MckxlP60cnY

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
You guys must be fun at parties.

Depending on how things look, I'd consider at least optimizing the fuel maps.

Once more junkard engines are available from supras and bmws, it be fun to do a stupid build. There is something oddly satisfying about rolling burnouts in a 4x4.

Here's an interesting teardown video discussing the potential of the engine. This guy gets over 1000hp on a stock bottom end. Even if you're not considering a tune, it's fun to see all the components parts and how the engine works.

View: https://youtu.be/MckxlP60cnY
Main reason I am not considering a tune on the B58 is because I have ordered the B57

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:35 PM
Reaction score
Main reason I am not considering a tune on the B58 is because I have ordered the B57

That’s probably the most sensible reason not to do it I have seen.

I certainly wouldn’t consider a tune to up the power and torque but I would consider one that would up the MPG by 50% whilst maintaining the same power output. 😃

Khalfan323

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is anyone considering aftermarket tuning options to pull more power and torque from the B58 power plant?
Considering, yes. But will probably pull the trigger once warranty ends. Otherwise it’s not worth it. I’m quite sure you haven’t driven the petrol, might be wrong, but it does have quite a nice pull to it. Not sure you’d want to go overboard so quickly.
But, if you do and feeling ballsy, you have the option of a bootmod tune with or without an uprated turbo. And if you’re really feeling the need to take it to the drag strip, Pure Drivetrain Automotive have a transmission upgrade for the Zf8HP51 to bring the torque rating up to 1200lbft.
But no need, you’ll open up Pandora’s box.

Local time
Reaction score
There are already multiple threads on this topic on this forum - you can find them by searching either B58 or 8HP51.

The B58 in the Grenadier makes 332 lb. ft. of torque (despite being capable of much higher output). The 8HP51 version of the ZF transmission that is paired with the B58 has a max-torque rating of 369 lb. ft. of torque. That is just 10% higher than the existing engine output. That leaves very little headroom for tuning up the output of the B58, while staying within ZF's specifications. I cannot imagine either Ineos or ZF recognizing a warranty claim for any damage to the power train if a tune crosses that threshold. We are talking about any trouble at all with the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, joints, axles, exhaust, etc. While it is commonly understood that the 8HP51 is a strong unit, and is probably capable of handling more than 369 lb. ft. of torque, if you flash the ECU, you may be completely on your own with repairs to many of the major systems in the vehicle.

Some Toyota Supra and BMW owners (who also have a B58 and an 8HP51) are chasing more power, and this has led to a market for upgrades to the 8HP51, so that it can safely handle added power. A Stage 1 upgrade to the 8HP51 starts at $6,000 (US), bringing its torque capacity up to 850 lb. ft. (and its horsepower rating up to 1000 HP).

ZF8HP51_stage1.jpg

Khalfan323

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There are already multiple threads on this topic on this forum - you can find them by searching either B58 or 8HP51.

The B58 in the Grenadier makes 332 lb. ft. of torque (despite being capable of much higher output). The 8HP51 version of the ZF transmission that is paired with the B58 has a max-torque rating of 369 lb. ft. of torque. That is just 10% higher than the existing engine output. That leaves very little headroom for tuning up the output of the B58, while staying within ZF's specifications. I cannot imagine either Ineos or ZF recognizing a warranty claim for any damage to the power train if a tune crosses that threshold. We are talking about any trouble at all with the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, joints, axles, exhaust, etc. While it is commonly understood that the 8HP51 is a strong unit, and is probably capable of handling more than 369 lb. ft. of torque, if you flash the ECU, you may be completely on your own with repairs to many of the major systems in the vehicle.

Some Toyota Supra and BMW owners (who also have a B58 and an 8HP51) are chasing more power, and this has led to a market for upgrades to the 8HP51, so that it can safely handle added power. A Stage 1 upgrade to the 8HP51 starts at $6,000 (US), bringing its torque capacity up to 850 lb. ft. (and its horsepower rating up to 1000 HP).

View attachment 7809308
Thats what I was on about. Just imagine that’s just stage 1!! It goes up to 3 or 4!!

Local time
Reaction score
Thats what I was on about. Just imagine that’s just stage 1!! It goes up to 3 or 4!!
Yeah - I didn't see your post before I posted my comment (my post is actually just a copy & paste from a post I made about 6 months ago in another thread). Coincidentally, we are talking about the same company.

The Grenadier drive train is robust, and can likely handle much more than the stock output from the B58 (282 hp and 332 lb/ft of torque), so if one were inclined to pursue more power - at the cost of long-term reliability - one could definitely tune the engine and upgrade the transmission. But who would really want massive power in a body-on-frame, solid axle vehicle, with recirculating ball steering? Because the Grenadier is pretty heavy (around 5,800 pounds for the gas version), I'd like to see it being delivered with around 325 hp and 375 lb/ft. of torque. It would be more fun to drive, and it would handle highway driving in the mountains better. It would also get it a little closer to the competition. As things stand now, the Grenadier will be the least powerful vehicle in its class in the United States, when you control for vehicle weight.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:35 PM
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if the NA spec has more HP than ROW.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
There is something oddly satisfying about rolling burnouts in a 4x4.
That's easy.
A wet road or muddy track with a hill involved is what the local bogans use around here.
The rest of us are less easily amused.

Back
Top Bottom