The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol/Gas B58 Petrol engine tuning anyone?

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
11:59 AM
Reaction score
Two companies come immediately to mind for B58 tuning. Bootmod3 and Carbahn. Both are very reputable. Carbahn is a company owned by Steve Dinan (of Dinan BMW fame). In the BMW tuning culture you could do a lot worse than these two. A B58 can easily be flashed to near 500 horse power. With appropriate supporting modifications (cooling and exhaust) Carbahn will even honor the factory warranty on a modified B58 fully. Unfortunately Carbahn has no plans currently to support the Grenadier. The B58 and S58 truly are the new 2JZ. I am very pleased with Ineos’ choice for power train partners.

Local time
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if the NA spec has more HP than ROW.
Maybe a smidge due to different emissions requirement, but that’s it. They limited themselves with the trans. The 8HP51 is limited to only 369 lbft of torque, as opposed to the 533 lbft capability of the 8HP76.

If they were to bolt up the 8HP76 to the gasser in NA, why bother with the 8HP51 in other markets at all since it adds logistical burdens to the supply lines? Surely they‘ve thought that far ahead.

It’s nice to think the NA market would get more power, the 8HP76 trans, and a bigger fuel tank (and a diesel). But I doubt any of that.

Local time
Reaction score
But who would really want massive power in a body-on-frame, solid axle vehicle, with recirculating ball steering?

Oh no you didn't !!!

super-duty-towing-topshot.jpg

:p:p

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:59 AM
Reaction score
Yeah - I didn't see your post before I posted my comment (my post is actually just a copy & paste from a post I made about 6 months ago in another thread). Coincidentally, we are talking about the same company.

The Grenadier drive train is robust, and can likely handle much more than the stock output from the B58 (282 hp and 332 lb/ft of torque), so if one were inclined to pursue more power - at the cost of long-term reliability - one could definitely tune the engine and upgrade the transmission. But who would really want massive power in a body-on-frame, solid axle vehicle, with recirculating ball steering? Because the Grenadier is pretty heavy (around 5,800 pounds for the gas version), I'd like to see it being delivered with around 325 hp and 375 lb/ft. of torque. It would be more fun to drive, and it would handle highway driving in the mountains better. It would also get it a little closer to the competition. As things stand now, the Grenadier will be the least powerful vehicle in its class in the United States, when you control for vehicle weight.
I’d have liked about 225kw / 700nm torque in the diesel. But hey you can’t have everything I suppose. Some markets only get the gas version for instance. 😉

TRX250EX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:59 PM
Reaction score
I don't care about warranty or whatsoever, give me tuning advice to pull more power out of this, of course while keeping it daily and usable not a dragster that do one run and end up in garage....

I will just finish run in period and then go for it, I need more power coming from G500 lol

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
I don't care about warranty or whatsoever, give me tuning advice to pull more power out of this, of course while keeping it daily and usable not a dragster that do one run and end up in garage....

I will just finish run in period and then go for it, I need more power coming from G500 lol
Your issue is not HP but torque. The petrol has a different model of ZF that does not have a lot of room for added torque. There has been conversation in the forum about asking for the diesel transmission of ZF as it gives us wiggle room to increase HP and torque

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

You should buy the diesel then.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That’s probably the most sensible reason not to do it I have seen.

I certainly wouldn’t consider a tune to up the power and torque but I would consider one that would up the MPG by 50% whilst maintaining the same power output. 😃
I’ll believe that when I see it, I don’t think thats how the laws of physics and thermodynamics work. But am no expert so happy to be proven wrong. I very strongly suspect that these often made claims are mostly BS. If it was truly possible, at least without major compromises on engine reliability manufacturers would do it as it would solve a heap of regulatory problems they have meeting fuel consumption standards and emissions standards etc.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Lol

A serious answer to probably the most tongue in cheek comments I have made.

Apologies if it was a little disguised as such. I did put a smiley face in there to try and reinforce I knew it would be virtually impossible to achieve.

However if you do come across a tuning map that does achieve my initial brief please let me know Andrew

Back
Top Bottom