The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol/Gas Petrol/Gasoline Oil Specification Thread (B58 Engines)

Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
Wonder what BMW who made the engine recommend?

Local time
Reaction score
Just Been onto Fuchs they say this is the oil for the BMW spec SAE 0W-20 BMW LL 17FE

ARF

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:25 PM
Reaction score
Increased viscosity = more fuel use, but less oil consumption, but obviously better in high temp.
Sir Jim is a chemical engineer so he might off had some input in to oil spec, it is his area of expertise.
Higher viscosity can lead to increased wear, fuel and oil consumption in a modern engine developed with tight tolerances.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:25 AM
Reaction score
I believe cars should be vegetarian. Only the finest oils for my ride:

1680265610730.png

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
3:25 AM
Reaction score
Well, this thread is going monograde.

It's quickly become apparent that we are going to need a thread for petrol and diesel variants.

This thread is now the Petrol / Gasoline thread.

If anyone wants to start doing any oil analysis then that will be a stand alone thread.

So the rabbit hole goes deeper....

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
3:25 AM
Reaction score

BMW Longlife-14FE Oil Spec​

Replaced by BMW Longlife-17FE+

BMW Longlife-17FE+ Oil Spec​

The BMW Longlife-17FE oil specification was introduced around 2017. The BMW Longlife-17FE oil quality standard requires a viscosity of SAE 0W-20 and is typically accompanied by an ACEA C5 or API SN Plus specification. It also requires a PAO group VI base oil (polyalphaolefines). This engine oil formulation is considered a low SAPS, Low sulphated Ash, and Low Phosphorus Sulphur additive oil formulation for both BMW gasoline and diesel engines. The BMW Longlife-17FE oil specification is prescribed for all 2016 and newer BMW B36, B38, B46, B48, B58, N20, and N26 engines. The BMW Longlife-17FE is also an updated version and a replacement to the BMW Longlife-14FE for improved emissions and fuel injection LSPI issues. BMW Longlife-17FE spec oils are also known as OE part numbers 83212461990, 83212365954, and 83212461988.

So the petrol engine oil spec is already out of date according to these people. Is this a case of a '+ gate' typo, or just that its taken IA so long to come to market that the stickers are out of date... ;)

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the issue with the factory oil is that it’s thin to aid with fuel economy. This however compromises its ability to lubricate under high pressures and temperatures. I’d say that for a hard working engine the 0w40 would be better. So long as it is a low SAPS oil.

What is the spec for Australia? SA? Middle East? Is it still 0w30 in the desert?
I don’t think the ambient temperature matters to much it’s the engine temperature that counts. The manual states that all recommended viscosity grades of oil for the grenadier are suitable for high ambient temperatures. I suppose if the cooling system is working as should and keeping the engine at optimum running temperature then all is good.
quote from the manual “It is essential to select the appropriate viscosity grade oil depending on the minimum ambient temperature. All of the recommended viscosity grades are suitable for high ambient temperatures.”

Reactions: PBD

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What I’d like is a genuine unbiased opinion on is whether using thinner oils to achieve greater fuel economy is to the detriment of engine wear. I get all the modern engine tolerances are finer etc but I want to know; will going up a viscosity grade do any harm? Because the way I see it it will prolong engine life.
What I do know is its usually ok to go down a grade on the Winter viscosity and up a grade on the summer viscosity but not in the opposite direction ….
I.E. 5w30 to 0w40 is ok (unlikely to be a problem) but going 5w40 to 10w30 could be a big mistake…

Local time
Reaction score
Like in the other thread I won't mention the drain intervals

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:25 PM
Reaction score
In every car forum I visit (US V8, Porsche, BMW, etc.) the longest treats are about oil, additives and change intervals.

simply put in what is recommended by the manufacturer and comply with the periods, done!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In every car forum I visit (US V8, Porsche, BMW, etc.) the longest treats are about oil, additives and change intervals.

simply put in what is recommended by the manufacturer and comply with the periods, done!
Have you checked whether what's recommended is actually available...🤔

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:25 PM
Reaction score
Wow I can't believe this thread is already at 3 pages!
And yet , I predict it will reach well into double figures....

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:25 PM
Reaction score
Wow I can't believe this thread is already at 3 pages!
And yet , I predict it will reach well into double figures....
Yeah, it’s insane to write circles around oils and intervals.
Do something meaningful and write some comments in the „sick of waiting „ thread

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What’s the difference between SAE 0W-20 LL-17FE as specified for the gasoline engine and the
SAE 0W-20 LL-17FE+ that seems to be readily available

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:25 AM
Reaction score
Don’t take this as gospel, but is it that the 17FE+ is the latest version and has just been brought to market after the first one was specified.

Again exercise with caution but I would suspect that it’s the same spec but may have had very small changes or something added which hasn’t really changed the spec overall.

Back
Top Bottom