The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol/Gas Petrol/Gasoline Oil Specification Thread (B58 Engines)

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
Makes more sense that developing a new one. Just call one of the existing oils (used for BMW) and rebrand with DG.
You are right. Of course it will be more efficient than to create a new one. But why not just use a mixture which is yet on the market? How many units can you sell a year?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:13 PM
Reaction score
Every time I read the word GAS I think it is referring to hydrogen or LPG fueled versions.
I know it is short for gasoline, but couldn't understand why North America uses the term instead of Petrol, which is derived from Petroleum.
So here goes

1680201844442.png

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:13 AM
Reaction score
You are right. Of course it will be more efficient than to create a new one. But why not just use a mixture which is yet on the market? How many units can you sell a year?
As I say pick up a couple of litres from the dealer when you collect the vehicle till all becomes clearer. They must have stock for carrying out PDI if it needs a top up

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had understood any oil meeting SAE 0W-30 API SN ACEA C2/C3 BMW LL-04 BMW LL-12FE sufficed the diesel Grenadier's needs. I don't believe Petronas is the sole oil provider. I intend using MANNOL, available at a reasonable price on Fleabay .

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had understood any oil meeting SAE 0W-30 API SN ACEA C2/C3 BMW LL-04 BMW LL-12FE sufficed the diesel Grenadier's needs. I don't believe Petronas is the sole oil provider. I intend using MANNOL, available at a reasonable price on Fleabay .
I certainly won’t be tied to a particular brand as long as it meets the right specifications 👍🏼

Local time
Reaction score
Save £2.00 on an £80.000.00 vehicle

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They do a Castrol edge 5w40, probably a good choice.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves.
(y)

Greta Schickedanz, the chief executive of a big German concern ("Quelle"), used to say "Der Pfennig ist die Seele der Milliarde." - "The penny is the soul of the billion".

Local time
2:43 PM
Reaction score
Castrol also do a 0w40.. But..
It’s important to note that not all oils are DPF compatible. Oils which are height in additives ( to protect the engine) may produce too much ash, the metallic ash builds up in the DPF and causes early failure. So thats something to consider if you’re going off piste with the oil recommendation.
Watching the LR Time video on the disco engine its interesting to note that he says that the 30 grade oils are on the thin side and are chosen to meet emissions regs. I am not sure if this is due to increased viscosity causing increased fuel consumption, which it could. But also increased viscosity causes increased oil consumption (burning) which could lead to DPF damage… Based on the video a 40 grade oil sounds better, especially with all the heavy towing I’ll be doing, but I don’t want to bugger the DPF…
Increased viscosity = more fuel use, but less oil consumption, but obviously better in high temp.
Sir Jim is a chemical engineer so he might off had some input in to oil spec, it is his area of expertise.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Local time
Reaction score
I hope it isn't one of those super light oils for fuel economy. What do the BMW car people say?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I certainly won’t be tied to a particular brand as long as it meets the right specifications 👍🏼
I'd tend to agree. I just wanted the details of the nominated oil to better understand what the specification is.

The fact that it may not be available in the UK might also be a factor is what is used.

I wonder if the agent's can tell us what they are using? I recall Lotus specifying a very particular Castrol product but the local servicing dealer refusing to use it because they were also a Ferrari dealer and were mandated to use Shell products. When challenged, the response was "if it's good enough for a Ferrari V12 engine then it should be fine in your 4 cylinder Rover one."

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
if you use the right spec oil regardless of the brand in my case sae 0w-20 bmw ll-17fe it will be suitable for all operating temperatures that I will operate in including high ambient temperatures which as per the manual all the recommended viscosity grades of oil are suitable for. That’s suits me

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:13 PM
Reaction score
In addition to engine oils it would also be useful to get fluid/oil specs and capacities for power steering, brakes, transfer case, auto transmission, diffs, and coolant.

Cheers
Steve

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So this morning's answer from my Petronas helpline (Technical Support UK) after getting a reply from their HQ in Italy:

Screenshot_20230331_095836.jpg
The link given is this:

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think the issue with the factory oil is that it’s thin to aid with fuel economy. This however compromises its ability to lubricate under high pressures and temperatures. I’d say that for a hard working engine the 0w40 would be better. So long as it is a low SAPS oil.

What is the spec for Australia? SA? Middle East? Is it still 0w30 in the desert?

Back
Top Bottom