The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol/Gas Un-detuning the engine

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
How much HP/TQ do you folks figure you would need to add to make any NOTICEABLE difference in 6K something pound vehicle?
I just want the torque curve optimized to generate maximum torque that the driveline can handle at 66 mph.

That allows me to stay with traffic pulling a trailer that is well within specifications touted by IA, back-and-forth across the continental divide.
Turbo map should address the altitude differences.
The longer the trailer hitch problem goes Unresolved, the more disappointed I am.

Never seeing a vehicle towing a typical camper here in the United States bugs me to no end. For all I know it’s going to be an 8 mile per gallon, 30 miles an hour at wot up the hill experience.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:35 PM
Reaction score
I just want the torque curve optimized to generate maximum torque that the driveline can handle at 66 mph.

That allows me to stay with traffic pulling a trailer that is well within specifications touted by IA, back-and-forth across the continental divide.
The longer the trailer hitch problem goes Unresolved, the more disappointed I am.

Never seeing a vehicle towing a typical camper here in the United States bugs me to no end. For all I know it’s going to be an 8 mile per gallon, 30 miles an hour at wot up the hill experience.
I had my old Td5 Defender tuned for towing purposes. Made a huge difference. The tune on my BMW motorcycle only added 10% power but makes the bike so much smoother. Any tuning I apply to the Grenadier would be aimed at improving power delivery. So far, pretty happy with the standard set up however, as a diesel, it does at times sound a bit dramatic and draws attention as though I am giving it loads of welly when all I want to do is drive away gently.

Local time
Reaction score

Any forced induction 6-cylinder engine (I6 or V6) will rip through gasoline when towing in the mountains. A bigger naturally aspirated V8 will actually get slightly better fuel economy than a blown 6 when towing in the mountains.

But if you compare towing with the Grenadier to towing with a naturally aspirated V6 (Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator, Toyota 4-Runner), it will be much more enjoyable - and safer - due to the forced induction: great low-end torque and minimal power-loss at elevation (allowing you to stay with traffic, merge onto the highway, etc.).

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I remember the massive difference that a larger intercooler made to my Defender 300 Tdi. Used to pull like a train following that mod only.

IslandFalconer

Production/Transit
Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
I’ve owned 3 BMW’s with this engine. And they were all in the M40i variant. And those engines never had any problems. That’s 382 HP 365TQ. BMW wouldn’t tune the B58 to that level if they thought it would shorten life expectancy. My new M2 has the S58 making 475+ HP. BMW has been making high HP inline 6 engines for a long time. So the question is why did Ineos opt for such a modest tune? My guess is to increase HP figures for the next few years as a sales tactic. Possibly also for longevity of driveline components. Someone somewhere knows the reason.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
BMW wouldn’t tune the B58 to that level if they thought it would shorten life expectancy. My new M2 has the S58 making 475+ HP. BMW has been making high HP inline 6 engines for a long time. So the question is why did Ineos opt for such a modest tune?
Ineos' life expectancy for the motor and driveline is notably longer than BMW's; the numbers aren't generally public information, but I can confirm that much.

Additionally, Ineos' engine calibration allows the use of 87AKI if needed without risk of damage to the motor, which BMW's does not

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but anyone have any insight on whether we can un-detune the B58 petrol engine? What would be the pros and cons of this in the Ineos?

I haven't driven an IG on the highway yet, but just wanted to bring up the convo. We have a lot of 8-10 mile, 10% grade highway mountain passes here in Colorado and wouldn't mind having a bit of extra juice to get up them.

You can go to https://chipyourcar.com/product/bmw-performance-chips/ to improve HP and Torque. I've used this for most of my vehicles and recommended to my friends. It worked for us.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom