The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Airing down Steelies and stock tires? Suggested ranges?

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
With the stock steelies and either set of stock tires, what would be the recommended tires pressures to air down to and still be safe?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This depends on your terrain and weight loading of the vehicle; 20psi is generally very safe. Unless the wheel/tire is designed for it, usually the wheel diameter is a safe number. Of course, anything high speed or with high lateral tire loads should have a higher pressure, and at anything below street pressure there is always the risk of de-beading

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I went down to 18 and ran around some desert roads the other day. Felt good but did't hit anything real big or real fast. The washboard at 30-40mph felt much better.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
17” rims, 15 psi front / 18 psi rear in low range in super soft desert sand & high ambient temps (45C+), I can’t imagine needing any less.

Soft coastal dune sand in milder temps (35C) was no problem at road pressures however so might not have needed to go as low as we did in the desert. Really didn’t want to be doing a recovery in those temps though.

Otherwise the minimum psi = rim diameter is a good rule of thumb as mentioned above.

For you cold climate folks, what pressures do you run in snow conditions?

4x4Brick #1561

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:43 AM
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this as I was wondering the same thing. I aired down over the weekend to attempt to get out of some super sticky clay and I took the tires down to 26ish. Didn't help. Clay defeated tires and recovery boards - filled every crevasse until it was a clay tire on a clay charcuterie board. Winch for the win. I did get a good shot of airing back up to the 49/43 psi once we got free. Note my DeWalt inflator by the passenger front tire.

Attachments

• 20240419_210616.jpg
    20240419_210616.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 15

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can only speak from experience with this, as all tires and vehicles are different, but so far I've done low 20s for rougher unimproved roads and rocks. In the past and in other vehicles I've done high teens for stuff like beaches (sand).

Back
Top Bottom