The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Upgrading Wheels and Tires and the Ratings of C, D and E

Texas Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
I'm am upgrading my 18" alloys for new wheels and 285/70/17 tires.

What tire rating can i get away with for city driving with the occasional off road park driving and hunting?

Can i get a C rated tire and be fine? OR, do i need a minimum of D from the get go.

I don't want a super stiff ride, but what i do know is these trucks are HEAVY!

FYI - Stock BFG Ko2's are E rated.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:24 AM
Reaction score
The letter ratings don't tell you actual load ratings, the numbers after the tire size do.

So in the case of the factory tire options, the weight ratings vary based on size and brand (BFG or Bridgestone); but the lowest is a 116. Generally speaking, tire shops shouldn't ever sell you or mount a tire with a weight rating lower than stock.

In my quick search between DiscountTireDirect and TireRack, I don't think there is a 285/70/17 that has a load rating below 116, whether in a P-metric, LT C, LT D, or LT E rated tire

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Tires must have minimum load rating per the gross axle weight rating front and rear. Look at the government sticker typically applied on the door jam.

These trucks are load range E I believe which is typically a 10-ply tire. But I have not seen the door jam sticker personally yet.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm am upgrading my 18" alloys for new wheels and 285/70/17 tires.

What tire rating can i get away with for city driving with the occasional off road park driving and hunting?

Can i get a C rated tire and be fine? OR, do i need a minimum of D from the get go.

I don't want a super stiff ride, but what i do know is these trucks are HEAVY!

FYI - Stock BFG Ko2's are E rated.
So I've been researching this a TON because it's a decision I'll have to stick with. The big issue is the 295/70r17 is always going to be e-rated and is a much heavier tire than the 285/70r17. That rotational mass is going to hit the acceleration, stopping, and mpg performance decently. I haven't found out the weight of the steel rims and not sure how much switching to aluminum will make a difference. I went with steel because I didn't like the aluminum option and was going to go 3rd party anyway. I know it would take an eternity of driving to make it a cost benefit but for me it's more about the tire I want, which I'm really looking at the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 285/70r17 because it's exceptionally light and on the tacomaworld forums seems be getting rave reviews.

The load ratings, from reading other discussions, are not directly indicative of the sidewall thickeness but rather what load they are certified to carry at max PSI. I'll never in my life run at 80psi in this so the lighter ratings and the increased MPG and performance of the lighter tires is fine for me. The design of the tire seems to be of more importance than how many ply they rate it as. In the Mickey Thompson case they have robust sidewalls so airing them down they still seem to be working out very well for the tacomas.

Back
Top Bottom