The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Airing Down/Up: Portable solution

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
2:03 PM
Reaction score
I was fortunate that I had an engine-driven air compressor (a modified York a/c compressor) fitted to my NAS D90. I also fitted a 5 gallon air tank and a manifold for using air tools and a filtered air supply for tires and my McNamara Lockers. The compressor was controlled by a single switch on the dash and pressure-activated relays that switched it on when the tank pressure dropped to 90 psi, and off when it reached 160psi.
Now, I have to get an air supply for the Grenadier. I do not expect to be needing it quite as much as I did with the D90, as I have e-lockers and I have battery powered impact wrench to aid tire changing, so will only need air for airing up and down. I looked at the ARB "Twin" which is tasty, but expensive and for the smaller tires on the Grenadier, my be overkill. Thought about the smaller ARB, but I went "cheap" and bought a Viair 400 that should do the job. And for airing down/up I bought the excellent 2-tire IndeFlate (more practical than the 4-tire, as you usually have different pressure front and rear).
One wrinkle that frustrated me is that the Viair compressor air outlet is Male! And their hose/inflator has a female connection. Maybe they want to ensure people use their hose?
Anyway, As I have an excellent gauge on the IndeFlate, I won't be using their hose, so got my own and made up a valve/chuck to attach to the IndeFlate for airing up. Of course, as I have to fit the standard hose "backwards" this connection had to include a ball valve. Duh!
The picture shows the Viair compressor and hose on the right, and the InDeflate, my hose and valve/locking chuck on the left

Attachments

• PXL_20231111_144250999.jpg
    PXL_20231111_144250999.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 57

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:03 AM
Reaction score
I'm seriously looking at the Morrflate 10-6 pro. That and their 4 wheel inflator is $550. Half the cost of the ARB suitcase nuke I was looking at, plus still needing to get a multi tire inflator octopus.

Anyone have any experience (especially bad things - I'm looking for a reason not to buy it)?

Last edited:

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I took a queue from @Jean Mercier and asked ChatGPT about air comrpressors and got this: (Interesting response)

What is the best portable inflator / air compressor for off-road 4x4 and overlanding to air down and reinflate the tires on the off-road 4x4 vehicle?
CopyRewrite
Searching for: best portable inflator air compressor off-road 4x4 overlanding air down reinflate tires off-road 4x4 vehicle
Generating answers for you…
Certainly! When it comes to off-road adventures, having a reliable portable air compressor is essential. Let’s explore some top options:
  1. VIAIR 400P Portable Off-Road Air Compressor:
    • Features: This 12V compressor is a beast! It can inflate tires up to 35 inches and operates up to 150 PSI for 15 continuous minutes.
    • Why It’s Great: Quick inflation from 35 PSI to 60 PSI in about 3 minutes.
    • Ideal For: Overlanding, trucks, and Jeeps.
    • Link: You can find it here1.
  2. ARB CKMTP12:
    • Features: A powerful, fast-working premium inflator with perfect airflow speed and durability.
    • Ideal For: Serious off-roaders who want top-notch quality.
    • Link: Check it out here2.
  3. Smittybilt 2781:
    • Features: Budget-friendly and effective. Easy to use.
    • Ideal For: Those looking for a more affordable option.
    • Link: Explore it here3.
Remember, airing down your tires improves traction and ride quality off-road, but you’ll need a powerful compressor to reinflate them before hitting the pavement. Choose one that suits your needs and enjoy your off-road adventures! 🚙🌲
Learn more:
1. mortonsonthemove.com2. weairdown.com3. parkedinparadise.com4. passportoverland.com5. towingless.com+3 more
2of30

How do the ARB, Smittybilt and Viair air compressors compare to the Morrflate 10-6 Pro?
Searching for: ARB Smittybilt Viair air compressors compare Morrflate 10-6 Pro
Searching for: Morrflate 10-6 PSI Pro vs ARB Twin
Searching for: Morrflate 10-6 PSI Pro vs Smittybilt 2781
Searching for: Morrflate 10-6 PSI Pro vs Viair 300P
Searching for: Morrflate 10-6 PSI Pro vs Viair 440P
Certainly! Let’s compare the Morrflate 10-6 PSI Pro with the ARB Twin, Smittybilt 2781, and Viair air compressors:
  1. Morrflate 10-6 PSI Pro:
    • CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute): It delivers 10.6 CFM at 0 load.
    • Features: Equipped with a digital control panel, it automatically runs to the desired PSI setting and shuts off.
    • Performance: It aired up all four tires from 15 psi to 35 psi in just 4 minutes and 10 seconds.
    • Price: Priced at $331.50 shipped to your door1.
  2. ARB Twin:
  3. Smittybilt 2781:
  4. Viair:
In summary, the Morrflate 10-6 PSI Pro offers impressive performance, quality, and affordability. Consider your specific needs and budget when choosing the right compressor for your off-road adventures! 🚗💨
Learn more:
1. morrflate.com2. youtube.com3. trail4runner.com4. jeepforum.com5. autonerdsreview.com6. jeepgladiatorforum.com7. amzn.to8. overlandaddict.com9. gaiagps.com10. boltoncdjr.com11. mooreexpo.com12. bigironoverlandrally.com13. openroad4wd.com14. outbackrvtx.com15. goxplorusa.com16. shopoverlandapparel.com17. xtrusionoverland.com18. claytonoffroad.com19. amzn.to20. bit.ly21. icecofreezer.com22. amzn.to23. anviloverland.com24. morimotohid.com25. amazon.com26. shareasale.com27. icecofreezer.com28. amzn.to29. setpowerusa.com30. amzn.to31. viaircorp.com32. morrflate.com33. morrflate.com34. youtube.com35. youtube.com36. youtube.com37. trailbronco.com38. jeepgladiatorforum.com39. 4wdtalk.com40. bit.ly41. morrflate.com+38 more

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was fortunate that I had an engine-driven air compressor (a modified York a/c compressor) fitted to my NAS D90. I also fitted a 5 gallon air tank and a manifold for using air tools and a filtered air supply for tires and my McNamara Lockers. The compressor was controlled by a single switch on the dash and pressure-activated relays that switched it on when the tank pressure dropped to 90 psi, and off when it reached 160psi.
Now, I have to get an air supply for the Grenadier. I do not expect to be needing it quite as much as I did with the D90, as I have e-lockers and I have battery powered impact wrench to aid tire changing, so will only need air for airing up and down. I looked at the ARB "Twin" which is tasty, but expensive and for the smaller tires on the Grenadier, my be overkill. Thought about the smaller ARB, but I went "cheap" and bought a Viair 400 that should do the job. And for airing down/up I bought the excellent 2-tire IndeFlate (more practical than the 4-tire, as you usually have different pressure front and rear).
One wrinkle that frustrated me is that the Viair compressor air outlet is Male! And their hose/inflator has a female connection. Maybe they want to ensure people use their hose?
Anyway, As I have an excellent gauge on the IndeFlate, I won't be using their hose, so got my own and made up a valve/chuck to attach to the IndeFlate for airing up. Of course, as I have to fit the standard hose "backwards" this connection had to include a ball valve. Duh!
The picture shows the Viair compressor and hose on the right, and the InDeflate, my hose and valve/locking chuck on the left
Our local 4x4 shop, Desert Rat carries the Viair and ARB compressors. I stopped in there a few weeks ago to look around. I was just getting a feel for things I might need, and air compressors we on my short list. The sales guy said it's basically down to personal preference, with the ARB having a few more features for a bit more money, but that the Viair was very popular.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I'm seriously looking at the Morrflate 10-6 pro. That and their 4 wheel inflator is $550. Half the cost of the ARB suitcase nuke I was looking at, plus still needing to get a multi tire inflator octopus.

Anyone have any experience (especially bad things - I'm looking for a reason not to buy it)?
I greatly prefer the IndeFlate for a couple of reasons: (1) the 2-tire version is actually more useful (IMHO) as you generally do not deflate/inflate all four tires to the same pressure. Do the front, then the back! <but they have a 4-tire version if that floats your boat!> (2) the Morrflate is, I think, a Chinese-made knock-off of the IndeFlate and does not look as well made (they carefully say a USA company, but I am sure their stuff is from China!)..... The InDeflate is a really well put together piece of kit! Cechk them out https://indeflate.com/

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I took a queue from @Jean Mercier and asked ChatGPT about air comrpressors and got this: (Interesting response)

What is the best portable inflator / air compressor for off-road 4x4 and overlanding to air down and reinflate the tires on the off-road 4x4 vehicle?
CopyRewrite
Searching for: best portable inflator air compressor off-road 4x4 overlanding air down reinflate tires off-road 4x4 vehicle
Certainly! When it comes to off-road adventures, having a reliable portable air compressor is essential. Let’s explore some top options:
  1. VIAIR 400P Portable Off-Road Air Compressor:
    • Features: This 12V compressor is a beast! It can inflate tires up to 35 inches and operates up to 150 PSI for 15 continuous minutes.
    • Why It’s Great: Quick inflation from 35 PSI to 60 PSI in about 3 minutes.
    • Ideal For: Overlanding, trucks, and Jeeps.
    • Link: You can find it here1.
  2. ARB CKMTP12:
    • Features: A powerful, fast-working premium inflator with perfect airflow speed and durability.
    • Ideal For: Serious off-roaders who want top-notch quality.
    • Link: Check it out here2.
  3. Smittybilt 2781:
    • Features: Budget-friendly and effective. Easy to use.
    • Ideal For: Those looking for a more affordable option.
    • Link: Explore it here3.
Remember, airing down your tires improves traction and ride quality off-road, but you’ll need a powerful compressor to reinflate them before hitting the pavement. Choose one that suits your needs and enjoy your off-road adventures! 🚙🌲
Learn more:
1. mortonsonthemove.com2. weairdown.com3. parkedinparadise.com4. passportoverland.com5. towingless.com+3 more
2of30

How do the ARB, Smittybilt and Viair air compressors compare to the Morrflate 10-6 Pro?
Searching for: ARB Smittybilt Viair air compressors compare Morrflate 10-6 Pro
Searching for: Morrflate 10-6 PSI Pro vs ARB Twin
Searching for: Morrflate 10-6 PSI Pro vs Smittybilt 2781
Searching for: Morrflate 10-6 PSI Pro vs Viair 300P
Searching for: Morrflate 10-6 PSI Pro vs Viair 440P
Certainly! Let’s compare the Morrflate 10-6 PSI Pro with the ARB Twin, Smittybilt 2781, and Viair air compressors:
  1. Morrflate 10-6 PSI Pro:
    • CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute): It delivers 10.6 CFM at 0 load.
    • Features: Equipped with a digital control panel, it automatically runs to the desired PSI setting and shuts off.
    • Performance: It aired up all four tires from 15 psi to 35 psi in just 4 minutes and 10 seconds.
    • Price: Priced at $331.50 shipped to your door1.
  2. ARB Twin:
  3. Smittybilt 2781:
  4. Viair:
In summary, the Morrflate 10-6 PSI Pro offers impressive performance, quality, and affordability. Consider your specific needs and budget when choosing the right compressor for your off-road adventures! 🚗💨
Learn more:
1. morrflate.com2. youtube.com3. trail4runner.com4. jeepforum.com5. autonerdsreview.com6. jeepgladiatorforum.com7. amzn.to8. overlandaddict.com9. gaiagps.com10. boltoncdjr.com11. mooreexpo.com12. bigironoverlandrally.com13. openroad4wd.com14. outbackrvtx.com15. goxplorusa.com16. shopoverlandapparel.com17. xtrusionoverland.com18. claytonoffroad.com19. amzn.to20. bit.ly21. icecofreezer.com22. amzn.to23. anviloverland.com24. morimotohid.com25. amazon.com26. shareasale.com27. icecofreezer.com28. amzn.to29. setpowerusa.com30. amzn.to31. viaircorp.com32. morrflate.com33. morrflate.com34. youtube.com35. youtube.com36. youtube.com37. trailbronco.com38. jeepgladiatorforum.com39. 4wdtalk.com40. bit.ly41. morrflate.com+38 more
Viair: Made in USA. Morriflate: Made in China.... Nuff Said! (I bought the Viair 400P. Hoping it works out!)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A little bump here. Any MORRFlate users with an update? Viair user updates?

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Our local 4x4 shop, Desert Rat carries the Viair and ARB compressors. I stopped in there a few weeks ago to look around. I was just getting a feel for things I might need, and air compressors we on my short list. The sales guy said it's basically down to personal preference, with the ARB having a few more features for a bit more money, but that the Viair was very popular.
I went into both 4x4parts and Desert Rat a few weeks ago. Neither got off their fat ass to see if I had any questions. Now I didn't go up and ask anything but you would think that they would at least acknowledge someone walking through an empty store. I would like to support local but after that I have absolutely no desire. I shot an email off to Agile Offroad almost immediately after seeing their kit on their website. John called by probably 10am the next morning and answered any and all questions. Once I hung up the phone I immediately ordered the kit. I have talked to him a couple times since and he always seems happy to talk. I know who I will be supporting. By the way, my compressor showed up yesterday and I'll try to get it installed in the next 3 or 4 days. I'll take pics and let everyone know how it goes.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I went into both 4x4parts and Desert Rat a few weeks ago. Neither got off their fat ass to see if I had any questions. Now I didn't go up and ask anything but you would think that they would at least acknowledge someone walking through an empty store. I would like to support local but after that I have absolutely no desire. I shot an email off to Agile Offroad almost immediately after seeing their kit on their website. John called by probably 10am the next morning and answered any and all questions. Once I hung up the phone I immediately ordered the kit. I have talked to him a couple times since and he always seems happy to talk. I know who I will be supporting. By the way, my compressor showed up yesterday and I'll try to get it installed in the next 3 or 4 days. I'll take pics and let everyone know how it goes.
What kit did you order?

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
RE the Morrflate - I'd recommend against anything with an air line that cannot be easily removed/replaced. This looks like a pain to store and when the line goes to shit, you've got no option to replace it.

I use a Superflow MV-90 that's done me well over the last five years of, admittedly occasional use.

1709295605087.png
1709295558986.png

Last edited:

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
What kit did you order?
Agile Offroad arb kit. I ordered about a month ago but it just got shipped. To be fair I was expecting it a little sooner but they were making some small changes to it and getting their instructions put together. I would assume if you ordered today it wouldn’t take a month.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Agile Offroad arb kit. I ordered about a month ago but it just got shipped. To be fair I was expecting it a little sooner but they were making some small changes to it and getting their instructions put together. I would assume if you ordered today it wouldn’t take a month.
I like the look of this - its clean. I'm curious how long it'll take to air up from 20 to 40, for example.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'll let you know in a few days hopefully.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Also remember there is a duty cycle for these compressors from 100% down to much less. Personally I’d only look at something with a 100% duty cycle, removable hoses, fused power cables and an auto shutoff. If the manufacturer has gone to the trouble of putting those items in there then they have probably not skimped on the compressor internals. At least the rational part of me thinks like that.

Has anybody any experience with the Sherpa unit? I know they’re pretty popular in Aus. As far as design. I’m leaning towards a unit in a box rather than built in, it’s just the best solution for me all round.

I think for me it’s the arb twin or Sherpa that seem to have the best specs. But they come at a price point.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:03 PM
Reaction score
Also remember there is a duty cycle for these compressors from 100% down to much less. Personally I’d only look at something with a 100% duty cycle, removable hoses, fused power cables and an auto shutoff. If the manufacturer has gone to the trouble of putting those items in there then they have probably not skimped on the compressor internals. At least the rational part of me thinks like that.

Has anybody any experience with the Sherpa unit? I know they’re pretty popular in Aus. As far as design. I’m leaning towards a unit in a box rather than built in, it’s just the best solution for me all round.

I think for me it’s the arb twin or Sherpa that seem to have the best specs. But they come at a price point.
I’ve got a T-Max compressor and actually used to today to pump my tyre up from dead flat in about 4 minutes. It’s been totally reliable and good value for money. Been with me on several expeditions and never failed. IMG_1688.jpegIMG_1689.jpegIMG_1584.jpegIMG_1681.jpegIMG_1678.jpeg

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I stuck a nail like that through a mountain bike tire and rim. I needed more than a plug and compressor. I like the idea of having one mounted. Although it would be nice to have a portable I think for me it would always be in the wrong truck.

Last edited:

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have used an extreme air compressors https://www.extremeoutback.com/ for many years. Built like a tank and throws a lot of air into the tire quickly.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:03 PM
Reaction score
Power Tank + MORRflate setup here. Deflates and re-inflates all 4 tires very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom