The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Black Sheep ARB Dual Compressor Mount.

ethree

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
Really nice job. Thanks for the photo. I'd like to do exactly the same, please can you advise how far the compressor extends beyond the side panelling and also please could you share some photos or a sketch of how you connected the compressor to the Grenadier's wiring system? Many thanks

image004.jpeg
The large wire harness runs neatly thru the space over the left wheel well, emerges right behind the rear left passenger seat, tucks under and around into the battery compartment where the starter battery is located. I ended up lopping off about 16” of the large wire harness, which was great because it allowed for easier passage of the wire between the seat and into the battery compartment. Then I silver solder connected the big wires (the negative and two positives and used a basic connector for the small negative (switch) ground. Connecting to the battery was the biggest pain. Otherwise, it was a breeze.

The switch wiring layout above eliminates most of the switch wire harness that comes with the compressor. I mean a lot of it. You will need to run one wire to the positive terminal on the starter battery so plan on that as you run the main wire harness—I wasn’t so intelligent and had to run this small wire in the same path. Mission was accomplished. With the reduced wiring set up, everything fits neatly behind the supplied Black Sheep panel.

The compressor itself protrudes 1 1/8” past the original panel. Add on the ARB quick connect and you would add another 1 3/4” for that device.

Gwynne

Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7851754
The large wire harness runs neatly thru the space over the left wheel well, emerges right behind the rear left passenger seat, tucks under and around into the battery compartment where the starter battery is located. I ended up lopping off about 16” of the large wire harness, which was great because it allowed for easier passage of the wire between the seat and into the battery compartment. Then I silver solder connected the big wires (the negative and two positives and used a basic connector for the small negative (switch) ground. Connecting to the battery was the biggest pain. Otherwise, it was a breeze.

The switch wiring layout above eliminates most of the switch wire harness that comes with the compressor. I mean a lot of it. You will need to run one wire to the positive terminal on the starter battery so plan on that as you run the main wire harness—I wasn’t so intelligent and had to run this small wire in the same path. Mission was accomplished. With the reduced wiring set up, everything fits neatly behind the supplied Black Sheep panel.

The compressor itself protrudes 1 1/8” past the original panel. Add on the ARB quick connect and you would add another 1 3/4” for that device.
Thanks very much. Really helpful. My aim is to in stall the compressor exactly as you have done - but i now realise I need to figure out how much clearance I need to allow not only for the quick connect but also to connect and disconnect the air pipe Any suggestion? On the LHS of the load space I'll have a fridge and fridge slide so that will be adjacent to the compressor.

Oelprinz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:08 PM
Reaction score
I run 2 single ARB compressors under the Ineos on a bash plate I made between the chassis and sill panel, and separately wired, so faster, and it saves carrying a second compressor for redundancy when traveling in remote locations solo, so I would say both.
The air intake and outlet, power supply and switch are all under the bonnet.
Would you mind sharing some pictures please?

ethree

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks very much. Really helpful. My aim is to in stall the compressor exactly as you have done - but i now realise I need to figure out how much clearance I need to allow not only for the quick connect but also to connect and disconnect the air pipe Any suggestion? On the LHS of the load space I'll have a fridge and fridge slide so that will be adjacent to the compressor.
The traditional plug in that compartment is sacrificed too...although I thought of plugging in a horizontal flat plug with a short extension and then thought better of it. The cover on the plug needs to be removed as well. Easy enough to do, just pop the pin. As to the space, you could possibly save a full inch or more if you mounted a 90-degree angle plug, allowing you to run a line wherever it is most convenient. You can also adjust the angle of the compressor's output to possibly eliminate any protrusion outside of the 1 1/8" you will have to eat because of the way the unit mounts. I contemplated doing just that myself, leaving the quick disconnect on but angling it down.

Best with the install. I see some are talking about placing it under the bonnet. I'm not seeing that as an option--but there are folks in here far cleverer than myself! Black Sheep seems to have made the best option I have seen yet. I am not partial to anyone but good grief, their ARB mount is spectacular--very well built. The rock rails are stainless steel, the steps are heavy aluminum (which I might add protrude just enough to stop a door slam into your side paint), and the light bar is a combo of stainless and aluminum. Liking what they make...a lot. SPP has some undercarriage plates that look good too.

Back
Top Bottom