The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas 2024 ADAS Issue and Work Around (USA)

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:16 AM
Reaction score
I sent this to ineos. I'll probably send the same to my dealer

Early reports from owners state that the ineos Grenadier in the US market comes with a EU mandated over speed warning system. This alert can not be persistently turned off in the US market despite no regulatory requirement from NHTSA or otherwise in fmvss requiring this functionality.

I request that this system is optional and opt-in for the US market. I want to give you the opportunity to clarify your intent and timeline for how you plan to act to allow me the option to cancel my order for the grenadier should your plans be in conflict with the values I seek in purchasing your vehicle. I know from extensive conversations on the ineos user forum that this is a feature intensely disliked by the American consumer and by your core customers. Even Volvo, known for a high amount of safety features has made this feature an opt-in feature for the North American market.

Best regards,
Parb

TrukSnave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
Ok, View attachment 7836325View attachment 7836326I just pulled it. The good news is the annoying sound stops.

The bad news is the dash lights up like a Christmas Tree. Looks like it also disables the auto break. Also, the Centre screen displays an annoying warning.

I'm going to put it back, but Ineos please fix this! I shouldn’t have to decide between basic safety features or a sound like I’ve left my indicator on.
Ok the good news is….i used to own land rovers. You can either get used to the lights on the dash or just find a way to disable the lights. I used to pull most of the bulbs out of my RRC’s.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Also sent an email to my dealer.

Dave,

I hear from owners on the ineos forum that US models comes with an EU mandated safety feature that is not required in the US but can't be turned off. It's the feature that warns the driver if they are speeding.

Can you check with Ineos if they plan to make this feature an opt-in feature rather than an opt-out required to be opted-out for every drive?

If they insist that they will require this EU feature remain with present opt-out for every drive on US vehicles when on US soil then I'm not sure i want to own this vehicle. It will be too annoying to use a car that you start every drive by going 10 menu levels deep to turn off a EU safety function not required in US for every single drive.

I look forward to your insights and conversations with Ineos. This has to be something other owners and prospects are concerned about.

I have driven these cars in Europe with these features and it's super annoying. Even more so on US roads where it's far more common that people drive 5-15mph over the speed limit when on the highway.

Please let me know what you hear.

Best,
Parb

S52

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Email ineos corporate. Strength in numbers. There is no regulatory need for any of this. Market specific software is commonplace these days, and that key-value is trivial to put in and persist.

What I would like is the ability to persist one following settings:
Over speed warning = off, 0mph, +5mph, +10mph, +15mph, +20mph, +5%, +10%, +15%, +20%

I would probably set it at 15% for myself in my jurisdiction.

+1 BMW had this figured out as far back as the 1980’s. I had an E30 325is (1987) and an E36 M3 (1996) both had on board computers and could be programmed to sound an alert chime at a preset speed of the drivers choosing.

S52

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Also sent an email to my dealer.

Dave,

I hear from owners on the ineos forum that US models comes with an EU mandated safety feature that is not required in the US but can't be turned off. It's the feature that warns the driver if they are speeding.

Can you check with Ineos if they plan to make this feature an opt-in feature rather than an opt-out required to be opted-out for every drive?

If they insist that they will require this EU feature remain with present opt-out for every drive on US vehicles when on US soil then I'm not sure i want to own this vehicle. It will be too annoying to use a car that you start every drive by going 10 menu levels deep to turn off a EU safety function not required in US for every single drive.

I look forward to your insights and conversations with Ineos. This has to be something other owners and prospects are concerned about.

I have driven these cars in Europe with these features and it's super annoying. Even more so on US roads where it's far more common that people drive 5-15mph over the speed limit when on the highway.

Please let me know what you hear.

Best,
Parb
Excellent work! Evey US member on this forum with a Grenadier on order should copy/ paste this message or tweak it as your own and fire it off to your respective dealer. I will send mine out first thing tomorrow morning!

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I’m honestly quite surprised that this could’ve been missed. The North American rollout must mean a good deal to INEOS and I doubt they want to create the initial impression of an annoying driving experience when no other manufacturer seems to be having this problem.

I would really like to hear from them that they are aware and working on this issue.

Picking ours up in 2 days, with fingers crossed.

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:16 AM
Reaction score
All - Sorry for not posting this sooner. I covered the camera and pulled the fuse a week or so ago. As reported above, it kicks off a lot of error messages / warnings in the Telltale Display as well as on the lower left of the main display. Its very similar to putting the vehicle in Wade mode. If you havent done that yet, you are in for a real light show!

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m honestly quite surprised that this could’ve been missed. The North American rollout must mean a good deal to INEOS and I doubt they want to create the initial impression of an annoying driving experience when no other manufacturer seems to be having this problem.

I would really like to hear from them that they are aware and working on this issue.

Picking ours up in 2 days, with fingers crossed.
I read or was told that there are more orders in the US than all other countries combined. The only reason this wasnt an issue with the initial launch in other parts if the world is becuase this feature was just added for the 2024s.

The awareness we are creating here is a start, then dealer pressure, then hopefully something from Ineos. When more of these vehicles get on the road, more people will be frustrated and I hope the message will get amplified.

It took a while for them to roll out the first software upgrade. I don't recall how long but many months.

Reactions: S52

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
All - Sorry for not posting this sooner. I covered the camera and pulled the fuse a week or so ago. As reported above, it kicks off a lot of error messages / warnings in the Telltale Display as well as on the lower left of the main display. Its very similar to putting the vehicle in Wade mode. If you havent done that yet, you are in for a real light show!
What happens if you just cover the camera?

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I’m optimistic for a fix and picking up tomorrow. One of the draws is for a more analog vehicle, and it is in many great ways. Sounds like they also accidentally made it one of the more technologically invasive vehicles in North America.
INEOS needs to tell people they are working on this or risk scaring off future buyers.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I just got a reply from my dealer (northern California). He was surprised that Ineos would roll this out in the US, he would not want this in the vehicles.

He was familiar with the function from driving overseas and said it is super annoying. He said he was going to ask Ineos about it. He hasn't yet recieved new vehicles to his customers so he hasn't seen the new feature personally.

I can't imagine driving on a highway around here with that active. You basically have to drive 5-10mph over the speed limit to avoid being subjected to road rage from other road users.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
I'm going to launch a new company making an ADAS solution. Drill a 2" hole in the hood of your Grenny where the logo is today, and mount the ADAS "Augmentation and Override Sensor" or AOS as we call it in the business - directly. $499 plus an 'easy' install fee:

Tell me what you think - it's a winner. Numbers will be limited by the number of AOS devices we can harvest by mile on California freeways. Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 7.19.57 AM.png

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just got a reply from my dealer (northern California). He was surprised that Ineos would roll this out in the US, he would not want this in the vehicles.

He was familiar with the function from driving overseas and said it is super annoying. He said he was going to ask Ineos about it. He hasn't yet recieved new vehicles to his customers so he hasn't seen the new feature personally.

I can't imagine driving on a highway around here with that active. You basically have to drive 5-10mph over the speed limit to avoid being subjected to road rage from other road users.
Well said. Thank you for helping raise the awareness.

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m optimistic for a fix and picking up tomorrow. One of the draws is for a more analog vehicle, and it is in many great ways. Sounds like they also accidentally made it one of the more technologically invasive vehicles in North America.
INEOS needs to tell people they are working on this or risk scaring off future buyers.
Completely agree.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
FWIW, the additional aggravation is in the ADAS mistakenly recognizing yellow "Recommended speed" signs as speed limit. Worse yet, the tractor-trailers in California have 55mph speed limit, and ADAS latches on it and does its four-loud-click thing even if you drive under the legal limit of 65 or 70.
It is not annoying me to the point of putting a piece of electrical tape over the camera. I think for the long trips, when I am facing spending the entire fuel tank's worth in the seat, I am going to go through the motions of disabling ADAS (since I am doing that with the start/stop button anyway).

YinzerTX

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Excellent work! Evey US member on this forum with a Grenadier on order should copy/ paste this message or tweak it as your own and fire it off to your respective dealer. I will send mine out first thing tomorrow morning!

To best get the ball rolling on these changes - I have it on very good authority that this feedback - from customers directly to INEOS (not the dealers) is the course of action on this. Just FYI everyone!!!

The UK legit does not see a problem - unless they are told so. In numbers....

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
FWIW, the additional aggravation is in the ADAS mistakenly recognizing yellow "Recommended speed" signs as speed limit. Worse yet, the tractor-trailers in California have 55mph speed limit, and ADAS latches on it and does its four-loud-click thing even if you drive under the legal limit of 65 or 70.
It is not annoying me to the point of putting a piece of electrical tape over the camera. I think for the long trips, when I am facing spending the entire fuel tank's worth in the seat, I am going to go through the motions of disabling ADAS (since I am doing that with the start/stop button anyway).
My dealer (RDS) explained they have a 2-step solution to turn off the ADAS ISA, that only involves hitting the favorites knob/button (?), then one tap on the screen. They will set this up for every customer. He also said they have pushed this back to Ineos, saying EU regulations are “Not acceptable in the USA”. I think we all need to provide this feedback direct to Ineos.

Back
Top Bottom