The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What other vehicles did you consider buying?

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:19 AM
Reaction score
I’m curious as to what most people considered the alternatives or options in their decision making process leading up to buying an Ineos?

I had a 2018 Mitsubishi L200 (now sold) and a 2019 Transit custom crew van (still got this). Pickups are practical in their own way but you can’t put long stuff in them, they have massive rear overhangs and ride like crap so make poor family cars. The transit is a great family vehicle and has a huge loadbed (it’s the L2 model) but obviously has no off-road ability at all.

I did consider a 4motion VW transporter but they’re still very limited in off-road ability. Plus some VW issues, they’re not the most reliable things.

New Defender didn’t appeal. If I’m spending this much money I plan to keep the vehicle a very long time and I have serious doubts on reliability and longevity as well as the awful dealer service. I really like the interior but I’m not sold on the toy-like looks.

Old Defender - had several but ancient design, hugely flawed but so characterful. Ultimately I wouldn’t want to use one as a family vehicle. I did consider a “new” build on a galvanised chassis and bulkhead and maybe an OM606 but it’s a big money build for what is still a seriously compromised vehicle. Tight for space and you really, really don’t want to crash one. Great residuals. I do love them, we still have an old 90 and a series 3 but they’re occasional vehicles, almost toys, I wouldn’t want one as our main family vehicle.

I looked at Land Cruiser 300’s, I like them a lot but oddly I couldn’t quite bring myself to spend so much money on one. Hugely complex vehicles and, despite their reputation for reliability, not really what I was after because of that.

Ditto for any other JLR product really (Range Rover or Disco 5.)

Nothing else in the market really appealed.

Briefly looked at importing a new v8 70 series from Oz but serious money. Truck looks great but lots of money to get one here and still an ancient design. Potential issues with parts supply/cost/time here.

My ideal vehicle would be something the size of a midsize van with full commercial status but proper 4wd and 6 seats. Nothing quite like that available and I think the Grenadier gets closest.

What about you?

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It was either The Grenadier SW or a 78 series Troopy for me, however after adding up all the costs to mod out a troop carrier I decided the Grenadier was a better value for money option.
Interesting it became a value for money decision. I think the Grenadier is expensive…that doesn’t make it bad value though. It’s a niche within a niche almost, virtually in a class of its own here in the UK.

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
7:19 PM
Reaction score
Interesting it became a value for money decision. I think the Grenadier is expensive…that doesn’t make it bad value though. It’s a niche within a niche almost, virtually in a class of its own here in the UK.
A new 78 Series in Oz starts at $110K, which is what a Grenadier starts at with more creature comforts and better capability. Add $50K in accessories and the the LC starts to approach comfort and capability of my specced Grenadier at $130 out the door. Tie that all up with a factory warranty and you have yourself good value for money, my friend 😉

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:19 AM
Reaction score
LC200, F150/F250, Lexus LX, new LC/GX and a quickly extinguished consideration of the R1T.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
None, I knew I wanted it from the day I placed the reservation in 2021... for me it is adding a vehicle, not replacing (the Sprinter has been my daily driver for nearly 2 years now).

The new GX550/LC250 doesn't do it for me, and 've already had a 4Runner, Tacoma, and Tundra over the past 5 years

An F350-F550 as a long term travel vehicle may be in our future in a few years to replace the Sprinter, but those aren't any more ideal as a daily/off road vehicle.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I initially was considering the jeep Gladiator, but it never came to the UK, and in hindsight I don't think its quite the do everything vehicle I thought it was.

Wrangler JL fits the bill for personal and travel use, but not the heavy towing or payload needed for work.

Hilux is a good middle ground on everything but oh so dull.

Ditto on the LC70 import thoughts.

Wouldn't own a new Defender if you gave me one, as a brand I just hate the direction JLR has gone in.

So Grenadier was the best option.

Oh and an OZ import GWagon professional that popped up on Ebay for 65k with delivery miles.... now that was tempting

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
2:19 AM
Reaction score
If Sir Jim et al hadn't developed the Grenadier, I'd be keeping the LR4/Disco 4 until it absolutely died and probably would have bought a minivan for the school run. But thankfully I'm not in that position and the Grenadier will be the city, school run, interstate travel off-road grocery getter..

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
LC 150 Prado was also a consideration but seemed to need a fair bit of aftermarket work. LC70 was also a consideration but then imports of the LC70 were stopped and prices for anything left on the market went through the roof.
Test drove the Jeep Wrangler however found the interior far too tacky and disliked the funny removable roof paneling and the price seemed way too high.

Sillius Soddus

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
None seriously. When I was a kid I watched a lot of nature shows. There was always a Land Rover of some sort in there so that’s what I’ve always wanted. By the time I could actually afford one, Land Rover hadn’t made anything I actually wanted for the better part of two decades. When they announced a new defender I was ecstatic….until I saw it. I remember thinking “Huh, well that’s…different.” Briefly, VERY briefly, considered a Bronco, but I’ve never owned an American car that didn’t overwhelm me with mediocrity. I was already shopping around for a MB E class when I stumbled upon the IG. Back then there weren’t even pictures of the interior yet. Didn’t matter, the day I saw it I placed a reservation. That was April ‘22. Sure, the new GX/LC might have more features, might even be objectively better cars, but they simply don’t scratch that old defender itch that I never got to scratch. This will be the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought, but (let’s be honest here) being how dated it already is I don’t expect to get tired of looking at it five years from now as I usually do with all my vehicles. I expect to own and enjoy this car for at least ten years.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
None seriously. When I was a kid I watched a lot of nature shows. There was always a Land Rover of some sort in there so that’s what I’ve always wanted. By the time I could actually afford one, Land Rover hadn’t made anything I actually wanted for the better part of two decades. When they announced a new defender I was ecstatic….until I saw it. I remember thinking “Huh, well that’s…different.” Briefly, VERY briefly, considered a Bronco, but I’ve never owned an American car that didn’t overwhelm me with mediocrity. I was already shopping around for a MB E class when I stumbled upon the IG. Back then there weren’t even pictures of the interior yet. Didn’t matter, the day I saw it I placed a reservation. That was April ‘22. Sure, the new GX/LC might have more features, might even be objectively better cars, but they simply don’t scratch that old defender itch that I never got to scratch. This will be the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought, but (let’s be honest here) being how dated it already is I don’t expect to get tired of looking at it five years from now as I usually do with all my vehicles. I expect to own and enjoy this car for at least ten years.

WELL Said!
Great Gatsby Movie GIF by Sony

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
My 1989 LR110CSW had done 200,000+ miles since the chassis up rebuild and was getting tired/unreliable again, so I needed to either replace it or rebuild it. The last rebuild had been a painful exercise, so the replacement option was preferred.

I test drove the new Defender 90; did not get on with it; too many driver assist systems that just wound me up, over elaborate and delicate soft trim, indifferent dealer and the nasty feeling it would be a money-pit if ever out of warranty.

Suzuki Jimny, new model, now only available as a "van"; cute, popular with spouse, dealer is supposed to excellent, but far too small, (I don't even fit in the van as the fixed bulkhead prevents the seat from moving far enough back), rare and cannot tow enough.

Dacia Duster, quite nice to drive, cheapish, quite comfortable but cannot tow enough.

Land Cruiser, rare in the UK, expensive, local dealer 20 miles away and uninterested, no stock and no estimate of delivery.

4x4 Pickups; no new L200s, Ford and Toyota offerings too long and ride poorly empty.

The Grenadier was, (except for cost), an easy choice; a better old Defender. With the fuss they made about making doing your own maintanence and the design life of decades, I was hooked as I'm trying to do the "Reduce, reuse, recycle", buying better quality goods, less often.

(The promise on maintanence and durability still has to be delivered)

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Up until their release, the New Defender & Bronco. Both were their own kind of disappointment - but I do feel even the Bronco out Defenders Land Rover.

Also a Rivian, but I decided it was too expensive. Ha!

I also own a NAS 110 deep into a resto-mod.

Last edited:

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I got a 2022 Mercedes E53 after getting tired of waiting for my Gren. Trading said E53 for my Gren hopefully next Friday. I have a 2014 LC200 which my wife primarily drives and loves. She might trade in for the new GX eventually. I don't see any other vehicles on the market currently that I'd consider over the Grenadier.

Shoogs

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:19 PM
Reaction score
Have had Defenders for years, still have two, I test drove the new one about 3 times but could never see myself off-road remotely with it, 3-4 months ago I nearly bought a G Wagen Professional in Australia, and I would have been happy, but glad now I waited for the IG. I live and work mainly in Zambia or will do for a few short months longer. After 30 years of driving 70 series, whilst reliable they are most unappealing. Considered a Y62 Patrol and yes that 5.6 V8 is awesome, but they are a big vehicle and you need big money to get them right.
My wife has a Subaru Outback XT which is just lovely and quite a sleeper, so we shall have an IG for touring and an eventual around the world set up, and two classic Defenders as a hobby.

Last edited:

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Never having a 4x4 or any off road vehicle I decided to start researching. I always had an interest in the old style defender 90 especially seeing its capabilities in the nature documentaries I used to watch. When the new Defender was released it peaked my interest more. I did test drive the Defender and liked it but it was to tech heavy for my liking. I came across the grenadier and decided that is what I wanted. ?though I am interested in the Sequoia and the Lexus version.

Back
Top Bottom