The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Europe How long are we allowed to drive our Grenadiers ? 15 Years or longer Seems a new EU regulation in discussion?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:39 PM
Reaction score
https://www.logistic-ready.de/verbo...-sind-und-einer-inspektion-unterzogen-werden/
The link above is in German - but this may concern anyone living in EU.

I stumbled over this information (correct or not I cannot verify) while researching for certain transportation stuff.
In Germany - Home Heaters (running on oil or natural gas) initially should be replaced after a certain time - but this was abandoned.
This means existing "fossile" powered heaters can be used as long as they are operational, as long as they keep specs and may be repaired.
The idea of some EU bureaucrats is to limit lifetime of vehicles to 15 years and no repairs then. Because to replace fossile powered vehicles by electric
Reason is, people owing such vehicles would use them as long as possible and so undermine the aim to become carbon neutral.
However some countries like Portugal already started critics and due to high road registration fees like in NL, DK, A.. that make some significant income to government and people cannot afford just scrapping and changing vehicles and of course it is not sustainable.
A vehicle like the Grenadier and all its fellows, LC, Jeep, Original Defenders still active since many many years or G-Wagons are affected.
I just wanted you to learn about such stupid ideas.. I will keep my Grenadier as long as possible.
In my opinion many poorer EU countries will oppose such efforts. But I remember Jean Claude Juncker .. "we introduce a new regulation and if no one objects we will continue..."
This is something I assumed already to come.. because in all countries where a registration tax is in place cars are used as long as possible.
Okay
You pay 25% tax for the amount between 0 and 65,000 dkk.
You pay 85% tax for the amount between 65,000 and 202,000 dkk. approx 27k Euro
You pay 150% of the remaining value of the vehicle.
So this means the fees to own a Grenadier in Denmark are "hefty"
No one will throw away such an utilitarian vehicle and also not another expensive or rare vehicle because if it is of age 15.
Hope this idea will be overthrown and rejected.

Need to pay attention to Brussels at any time.
There is nothing more sustainable as operating and repairing a vehicle as long as possible.

Local time
5:39 AM
Reaction score
https://www.logistic-ready.de/verbo...-sind-und-einer-inspektion-unterzogen-werden/
The link above is in German - but this may concern anyone living in EU.

I stumbled over this information (correct or not I cannot verify) while researching for certain transportation stuff.
In Germany - Home Heaters (running on oil or natural gas) initially should be replaced after a certain time - but this was abandoned.
This means existing "fossile" powered heaters can be used as long as they are operational, as long as they keep specs and may be repaired.
The idea of some EU bureaucrats is to limit lifetime of vehicles to 15 years and no repairs then. Because to replace fossile powered vehicles by electric
Reason is, people owing such vehicles would use them as long as possible and so undermine the aim to become carbon neutral.
However some countries like Portugal already started critics and due to high road registration fees like in NL, DK, A.. that make some significant income to government and people cannot afford just scrapping and changing vehicles and of course it is not sustainable.
A vehicle like the Grenadier and all its fellows, LC, Jeep, Original Defenders still active since many many years or G-Wagons are affected.
I just wanted you to learn about such stupid ideas.. I will keep my Grenadier as long as possible.
In my opinion many poorer EU countries will oppose such efforts. But I remember Jean Claude Juncker .. "we introduce a new regulation and if no one objects we will continue..."
This is something I assumed already to come.. because in all countries where a registration tax is in place cars are used as long as possible.
Okay
You pay 25% tax for the amount between 0 and 65,000 dkk.
You pay 85% tax for the amount between 65,000 and 202,000 dkk. approx 27k Euro
You pay 150% of the remaining value of the vehicle.
So this means the fees to own a Grenadier in Denmark are "hefty"
No one will throw away such an utilitarian vehicle and also not another expensive or rare vehicle because if it is of age 15.
Hope this idea will be overthrown and rejected.

Need to pay attention to Brussels at any time.
There is nothing more sustainable as operating and repairing a vehicle as long as possible.
Thanks for posting. Similar movements in California (Gas stoves, ICE/fossil fuel cars, etc). I would prefer if government cleared the obstacles vs mandating.

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:39 AM
Reaction score

Yes. x100. So true. Proven over decades. Also true for clothing and furniture and appliances and computers.

I think we are in a minority echo chamber here: "Sensible And Solid And Old Can Be Good!" But nobody wants to hear that and no industry or regulator or lawyer wants to stick their neck out and tell people to keep their old stuff longer.

Consumers have been trained to want features features features and style style style and new new new. And regulators and industries encourage the consumerism with efficient efficient efficient or safe safe safe. And nobody digs into the efficiency with all externalities priced in, and safety studies can be spun by so many interests.

Every country is nannying their citizens to comfortable death. Only the pace varies from country to country.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:39 PM
Reaction score
I am aware of California regulations and ban of fossile fuel vehicles. Yesterday I got a recording from an US newsstation in one of the states currently facing cold temperatures and hefty snow. Teslas seem quite affected and charging is now almost 2 hrs compared to 30 Minutes and Tesla advised to keep minimum charging at 20% in cold conditions. So there were people waiting several hours on a Quick Charger. Perhaps horse & cart like in 1850?
Perhaps people must experience the restrictions made.. I do not think in the charging and power infrastructure on electricity will be sufficient by 2035
Neither in US nor in Europe.
There is a joke - a German and an US citizen build a house. 2 weeks later. The US person called up.. "14 days more and I am ready to move in"
The German responded .. 14 more forms to fill and get approved then I can begin.
In my region there is the so called "S-Bahn" a type of commuter train (Schnellbahn / Fast Commuter simpler to embark and disembark) used in metropolitan areas. All other S-Trains run every 15 minutes only in the region but not ours.
The reason it shares track with long distance trains. Put the S - Trains on separate tracks took almost 30 years only to pass politics and planning stage.
Now the first step will be completed and opened in a few months hopefully. the remaining track distance (some 17 km track) will be realized some time in the future. Perhaps my remains will rest under some tree then already.
What time was required for Berlin Airport? - and now think of a functional and reliable charging infrastructure for Germany..
So what about a reliable and functioning charging infrastructure for California - and some people live rural.. ( Not discussing Montana or Alaska where population is rather low and not discussing freezing and snow)

Back
Top Bottom