The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What tire pressures are you running?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
Stock BFG KO2s. Right now I’m sitting at 48lbs front and 50lbs rear. That seems pretty high. My ‘17 Discovery is usually around 36-38psi all around. Also curious if I could get away with running the Micky Thompson Baha Boss 280r70s STD load. They’re 48lbs vs the E-Rated at 64 lbs but the max load is 2756lbs@44psi vs 3195lbs@80psi. Given the weight of the vehicle is 6k lbs wouldn’t be be STD load at the lower PSI be acceptable? Guess I don’t know enough about tires to know why I’m at 50psi in a stock setup with just me in it.

AMD66

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:31 AM
Reaction score
On KO2 with a stock vehicle.
I’m running 41 lbs front and 43lbs rear- just me and a little kit. Tyre temp fine and ride is good on road and Forrest tracks.

Rolando di Cello

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:31 AM
Reaction score
I forgot to say, that I have 17'' tyres.

Also important is, that the temperature of the tyres increase, when you drive on the motorway and in this case the pressure will increase too.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
7:31 PM
Reaction score
Have you checked the tyre placard on the inside of the fuel cap cover, or the owners manual?

For my Grenadier, also with KO2s, the recommended pressure for light to medium loads is 36psi, and that’s what I'm running. 🙂

AMD66

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I forgot to say, that I have 17'' tyres.

Also important is, that the temperature of the tyres increase, when you drive on the motorway and in this case the pressure will increase too.
On 17 “ also, operating temperatures & pressure increase fine.

ARF

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
48 and 50 psi quite high for use described . Best start with the specs from manual before making adjustments. 48 fronts going to give some sharp steering response but is going to come at a cost. Everthing is a compromise.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m running the recommended tyre pressure for a fully loaded vehicle whilst on good tar that’s 3 bar on front and 3.4 bar on the rear. But on the dirt roads I’m down to 28psi/1.9 bar on the front and 34psi/2.3 bar on the rear which makes it a lot more comfortable and doesn’t shake the vehicle to bits as much.
edit :- I’ve tried lower pressures on deep sand but found the tyres were overheating in this 40c of Botswana. Also the lower pressures make you more vulnerable to punctures whilst off road.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m running the recommended tyre pressure for a fully loaded vehicle whilst on good tar that’s 3 bar on front and 3.4 bar on the rear. But on the dirt roads I’m down to 28psi/1.9 bar on the front and 34psi/2.3 bar on the rear which makes it a lot more comfortable and doesn’t shake the vehicle to bits as much.
edit :- I’ve tried lower pressures on deep sand but found the tyres were overheating in this 40c of Botswana. Also the lower pressures make you more vulnerable to punctures whilst off road.

I also use 28psi on dirt roads. For technical 4WDing such as steep, rocky climbs I use 24psi, and for soft beach sand I use 14psi.

I disagree that lowering tyre pressures makes you more vulnerable to punctures whilst off road. As long as you’re running tyres (like the Grenadier's) with strong sidewalls (LT construction), lowering tyre pressures makes you less vulnerable to punctures. Lower pressure allows the tyre to deform around objects better.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:31 AM
Reaction score
I also use 28psi on dirt roads. For technical 4WDing such as steep, rocky climbs I use 24psi, and for soft beach sand I use 14psi.

I disagree that lowering tyre pressures makes you more vulnerable to punctures whilst off road. As long as you’re running tyres (like the Grenadier's) with strong sidewalls (LT construction), lowering tyre pressures makes you less vulnerable to punctures. Lower pressure allows the tyre to deform around objects better.
It was because I didn't air down that one of my tires got punctured by a sharp stone on a trail once.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree about the tyre pressure on rocks. But the only people I met who had slashed their tyres with sticks on a newly bulldozed road were the ones with very low tyre pressures. I managed to get through unscathed.
On another route in Central Kalahari my tyres were getting way too hot when aired down IMG_3710.jpegand a red warning on the dash tyres showing 73c

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Stock BFG KO2s. Right now I’m sitting at 48lbs front and 50lbs rear. That seems pretty high. My ‘17 Discovery is usually around 36-38psi all around. Also curious if I could get away with running the Micky Thompson Baha Boss 280r70s STD load. They’re 48lbs vs the E-Rated at 64 lbs but the max load is 2756lbs@44psi vs 3195lbs@80psi. Given the weight of the vehicle is 6k lbs wouldn’t be be STD load at the lower PSI be acceptable? Guess I don’t know enough about tires to know why I’m at 50psi in a stock setup with just me in it.
Are you basing this on the in-car reading or a manual check with a gauge?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have you checked the tyre placard on the inside of the fuel cap cover, or the owners manual?

For my Grenadier, also with KO2s, the recommended pressure for light to medium loads is 36psi, and that’s what I'm running. 🙂
I just picked it up from the dealership and was driving home I didn’t know it was listed. Thank you.

MossyIG

Grenadier Owner
INEOS Agent/Dealer (verified)
Local time
2:31 AM
Reaction score
I just picked it up from the dealership and was driving home I didn’t know it was listed. Thank you.
When cold, fronts should be set to 43 psi and rears to 49 psi per the sticker in the drivers door jam. While driving the psi will increase due to the air temp in the tires. FYI, you can only set/reset tire pressure when cold. If the temp is above 75F (I believe it is), the vehicle will not allow resets until the temp cools.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When cold, fronts should be set to 43 psi and rears to 49 psi per the sticker in the drivers door jam. While driving the psi will increase due to the air temp in the tires. FYI, you can only set/reset tire pressure when cold. If the temp is above 75F (I believe it is), the vehicle will not allow resets until the temp cools.
Why set them for maximum load unless necessary? Why not set them to 36psi (cold) as prescribed for light load? The ride and handling will be much better, as I can confirm after 10,000km of driving.

Note that 36psi cold will increase to 40psi warm, which is in line with the 4psi 'rule' for correct inflation.

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I looked for the sticker but my vehicle does not have it - thus the next port of call was the owners manual.

Back
Top Bottom