The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

E rated tires for it's weight?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:46 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Mickey Thompson Baha Boss tires 285/70/17 size. They have two versions, the STD which is 48lbs and the E rated that's 63lbs. Are the KO2s that come on it E rated? What weight are people going for?

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:46 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Mickey Thompson Baha Boss tires 285/70/17 size. They have two versions, the STD which is 48lbs and the E rated that's 63lbs. Are the KO2s that come on it E rated? What weight are people going for?
Yes, both the bfg and bridgestone tyres are e rated.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
More than letter load rating, concentrate on the weight carrying capacity of the tire.

C vs D vs E load ranges will also alter tire tread depth, and sidewall thickness (the ply count is not actually exact any more with tires, but moreso a guide)

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
More than letter load rating, concentrate on the weight carrying capacity of the tire.

C vs D vs E load ranges will also alter tire tread depth, and sidewall thickness (the ply count is not actually exact any more with tires, but moreso a guide)
Right but without a backend the load rating really isn’t that much of a concern

Local time
4:46 AM
Reaction score
Yes, both the bfg and bridgestone tyres are e rated.
Hi James,
The prototypes were on D-rated tires. Is it confirmed that the production cars are on E-rated tires? I'm guessing at this stage that is confirmed, I just wanted to ask. Thanks!

Local time
Reaction score

Yes - and most of those things you mention get better when you move from C, to D, to E-load rating. This is my favorite site for looking at tire specs. They cover most major brands, but I'm listing below the page on the KO2.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
8:46 PM
Reaction score
There will also be an acceleration and mileage penalty when stepping up in tire rating. You'll feel the difference at the stop light. Even with a large diesel engine we lost 1+ mpg going with a heavier uprated tire in the same size and a near identical tread pattern to what we were running previously (Firestone to Bridgestone). That 13lb difference in the two Mickey Tees probably exacts a penalty in component wear too.

Local time
Reaction score
There will also be an acceleration and mileage penalty when stepping up in tire rating. You'll feel the difference at the stop light. Even with a large diesel engine we lost 1+ mpg going with a heavier uprated tire in the same size and a near identical tread pattern to what we were running previously (Firestone to Bridgestone). That 13lb difference in the two Mickey Tees probably exacts a penalty in component wear too.
Absolutely right. When I tire shop, I look for the best possible tire - for my needs. I have a lifted Tacoma on 33s, I drive on rocky trails, but not often in mud. The Tacoma is not a heavy vehicle nor does it have a high payload. But I want an E-rated tire - not because of its load rating, but because it has better tread depth and a thicker (stronger) sidewall - which I value on rocky trails and on-road when the vehicle is loaded. I also want an AT tire that is 3-Peak Mountain Snow Rated, because we often get snow and freezing conditions before I mount my winter tires, and after I take them off in the Spring. After deciding on these priorities, I'll look for as light a tire as possible, to minimize the weight penalty (slower acceleration, worse mileage, and longer stopping distance) of the E-rated tire. I choose the KO2s for my summer tires, because - when I look at all the variables - this one is best for my needs.

When I shop for the wife's car, a stock 4-Runner, I go for the same tire (in a smaller size) - because she drives trails on her own to go hiking, we live on long dirt roads, and the tire is 3-Peak Mountain Snow Rated. She loves the KO2s, and after we pulled off the stock tires she declared those to be "absolute sh--". But for her car, I buy C-rated tires, because she is not driving hard trails where the thicker sidewall is important, and she hates the weight penalty of a heavy tire. We tried E-rated first, and she really noticed the slower acceleration.

Bottom line: there are a lot of good tires in the market. The best tire for one person will likely be different than the best tire for another person. Every "good" feature of a tire comes with a penalty, and one has to perform a cost/benefit analysis on that feature, and that is highly individualized.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Absolutely right. When I tire shop, I look for the best possible tire - for my needs. I have a lifted Tacoma on 33s, I drive on rocky trails, but not often in mud. The Tacoma is not a heavy vehicle nor does it have a high payload. But I want an E-rated tire - not because of its load rating, but because it has better tread depth and a thicker (stronger) sidewall - which I value on rocky trails and on-road when the vehicle is loaded. I also want an AT tire that is 3-Peak Mountain Snow Rated, because we often get snow and freezing conditions before I mount my winter tires, and after I take them off in the Spring. After deciding on these priorities, I'll look for as light a tire as possible, to minimize the weight penalty (slower acceleration, worse mileage, and longer stopping distance) of the E-rated tire. I choose the KO2s for my summer tires, because - when I look at all the variables - this one is best for my needs.

When I shop for the wife's car, a stock 4-Runner, I go for the same tire (in a smaller size) - because she drives trails on her own to go hiking, we live on long dirt roads, and the tire is 3-Peak Mountain Snow Rated. She loves the KO2s, and after we pulled off the stock tires she declared those to be "absolute sh--". But for her car, I buy C-rated tires, because she is not driving hard trails where the thicker sidewall is important, and she hates the weight penalty of a heavy tire. We tried E-rated first, and she really noticed the slower acceleration.

Bottom line: there are a lot of good tires in the market. The best tire for one person will likely be different than the best tire for another person. Every "good" feature of a tire comes with a penalty, and one has to perform a cost/benefit analysis on that feature, and that is highly individualized.
Thanks that’s where I’m at. I always like to go the largest I can on stock suspension. The new KO3s are on tirerack.com at 285/70/17. I don’t know what all they’ve done with them but honestly my KO2s on my Disco 5 have been great. I think people have wet traction issues because they over inflate and their tread design doesn’t favor it. I’ve had zero wet traction issues. My only issue is having a decision to make lol. I’m also considering the new Nokian AT tires. I’m in Texas so it’s not a snow thing but Nokian always gets high praise.

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks that’s where I’m at. I always like to go the largest I can on stock suspension. The new KO3s are on tirerack.com at 285/70/17. I don’t know what all they’ve done with them but honestly my KO2s on my Disco 5 have been great. I think people have wet traction issues because they over inflate and their tread design doesn’t favor it. I’ve had zero wet traction issues. My only issue is having a decision to make lol. I’m also considering the new Nokian AT tires. I’m in Texas so it’s not a snow thing but Nokian always gets high praise.
I haven't had wet traction issues with KO2 either - though I've heard the complaints. But I also don't run my tires down to low tread. I pull 'em off and sell them to folk around here who are happy to buy a used tire for a decent price, and then I go get some new ones. I'm happy to pay the money to keep tires with good tread on our vehicles.

I've been really impressed with Nokian winter tires. I bet they make a good AT tire as well!

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score
KO2's come in different road ratings. They make special ones for the Raptor, which is lighter, that's the one I always choose.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom