The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What other vehicles did you consider buying?

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
Could be the battery was damaged in a manner outside the warranty conditions.
Think about it, Manufacturers will do ANYTHING to get out of warranty work. Can you imagine the crap they can come up with for batteries? You over charged, under charged, drove too much, drove too little, hit too many bumps, went off road....and if that skid plate has even a scratch? Forget it. They are denying all the exploding Bronco T/cases if the truck ever went off-road even. I could dive deeper on this but is a HUGE problem. And then you have to get the dead battery to a recycle center....only a few exist. I live off grid and we are fighting through massive Lithium Iron Phosphate battery failures and warranties, and now we have stacks of bad ones sitting in the snow that would cost 400 each just to to ship to a recycler.

Local time
4:36 AM
Reaction score
I have been following the Edison truck videos. This looks to be a good solution. Disappointing they could not get electric drive axles and other parts from the U.S. and had to go to China.
They said they tried everywhere but no joy, buying Chinese was the only choice available. They contacted the major NA axle manufacturers and none would talk to them. smh. Edison has taken install/repair/warranty deposits from around 40 shops across Canada in the last couple of weeks and is closing applications at the end of next week so that they can vet and train those shops to be ready for launch. An incredible support network out of the gate.

Last edited:

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:36 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Think about it, Manufacturers will do ANYTHING to get out of warranty work. Can you imagine the crap they can come up with for batteries? You over charged, under charged, drove too much, drove too little, hit too many bumps, went off road....and if that skid plate has even a scratch? Forget it. They are denying all the exploding Bronco T/cases if the truck ever went off-road even. I could dive deeper on this but is a HUGE problem. And then you have to get the dead battery to a recycle center....only a few exist. I live off grid and we are fighting through massive Lithium Iron Phosphate battery failures and warranties, and now we have stacks of bad ones sitting in the snow that would cost 400 each just to to ship to a recycler.
That sort of bollocks does not work in the UK/EU, so long as the customer is honest and has not broken the reasonable conditions set, as consumer law requires "merchantable quality" and case law suggests a 6 or more year life for durable goods, (like a car). If the conditions are not reasonable, then the Courts can strike them out.

As I originally wrote, someone is not being entirely honest; recently this is likely to relate to flood damage, which neither the manufacturer or insurance company will cover, if the customer drove through a closed road and drowned the vehicle. Either party can be up to skulduggery; it's not always the manufacturer!

Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
Yeah, like driving the vehicle.

The Jaguar was involved in the flooding at Derby JLR dealership.
The vehicle was up on the ramp for a battery replacement under warranty. The battery was out of the vehicle and on the floor, and was destroyed in the flood.

The dealer is saying it's not their fault and the vehicle is now uneconomical to repair.

But surely the battery was faulty anyway, and was being replaced. And if it was
the new battery on the workshop floor, then it was still the property of the dealer and they should claim on their own insurance for it, and order another battery.

lt sounds like they just don't want to pay out for the part, l imagine their insurance possibly excluded "Acts of God" which covers flood, earthquake, volcanic eruptions etc

Local time
Reaction score
The vehicle was up on the ramp for a battery replacement under warranty. The battery was out of the vehicle and on the floor, and was destroyed in the flood.

The dealer is saying it's not their fault and the vehicle is now uneconomical to repair.

the new battery on the workshop floor, then it was still the property of the dealer and they should claim on their own insurance for it, and order another battery.

lt sounds like they just don't want to pay out for the part, l imagine their insurance possibly excluded "Acts of God" which covers flood, earthquake, volcanic eruptions etc
Yes, that is exactly an insurance claim for the business.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

The dealer is liable, the only question is whether the battery is replaced by the dealer's insurance or JLR's warranty. Even if the dealer's insurance does not cover the flood, they are still on the hook. At worst, the customer may be an unsecured creditor. Time to lawyer up.

This sort of issue is not only around electric vehicles, even dunked ICE vehicles are usually scrap after a flood.

Local time
Reaction score
lt's fairly depressing reading.

Nobody wants to pay for the Jaguar. The dealer is saying it's not liable for "vehicles left in their care for whatever reason"
The insurance company are refusing to pay because they don't cover "vehicles of faulty manufacture"
So both sides are trying to wriggle out of paying.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
lt's fairly depressing reading.

Nobody wants to pay for the Jaguar. The dealer is saying it's not liable for "vehicles left in their care for whatever reason"
The insurance company are refusing to pay because they don't cover "vehicles of faulty manufacture"
So both sides are trying to wriggle out of paying.

I had the misfortune to work for Inchcape in the past. It is not a mistake I will repeat. (I used to be financial controller of the extended motor warranty subsidiary, covering Vauxhall, Fiat, Proton, Lotus, Renault etc. in the 1990s).

Strategically, I'd suggest a Small Claims Court application with the dealer and JLR as co-defendents, but talk to the relevant insurer as they have an interest in the claim. I'd also suggest a formal complaint to the insurer and refer it to the Ombudsman; it will be slow, but they will have to deal with it.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score
Heck, I wasn’t even looking for a new vehicle, now I just have another one.

Zorro

Contract Signed
Local time
9:36 PM
Reaction score
A new 78 Series in Oz starts at $110K, which is what a Grenadier starts at with more creature comforts and better capability. Add $50K in accessories and the the LC starts to approach comfort and capability of my specced Grenadier at $130 out the door. Tie that all up with a factory warranty and you have yourself good value for money, my friend 😉
Nah, closer to $90K, not $110 - and that's drive away in a GXL Troopy. I know, as I priced one up (yes, the new version) last year.

I was looking at that, the Defender 130 or the LC300. I was leaning towards the LC300 to be honest, with its reputation for longevity but I really don't like diesel (after injector issues in my 2012 LC200 and DPF issues in my 2016 Prado) for one - and all the issues with new LC300's on the facebook pages really put me off. Having said that, they were niggling issues (glove box failures, rattles, weather strips falling off etc) - not quite as serious as what I am seeing here on the Grenadier (vehicles not starting, roof leaks, faulty fuel guages, door latches sticking).

Oddly, the vehicle with the least amount of issues across all forums and facebook pages appears to be the new Defender. That's the opposite of what I expected and the opposite of what quality surveys such as JP Morgan et al would suggest.

So then was leaning towards Defender, but dealer experience issues (similar to my current Jeep Gladiator really) threw me back to Ineos or the Troopy... but then I read all the Ineos issues with dealers/ the firm getting back to you in any meaningful manner or time... I just don't know! I really don't like that the Troopy is so expensive for an old, less equipped, less safe and poorly powered design - but what other car is out there that - admittedly once optioned up - can you sleep in the back of/ set up as a camper of sorts?

I really am torn. Am sticking with my Grenadier order though, as I am hoping the negative things will iron themselves out over the long time I intend to keep this next purchase. That was another miss for the Defender actually - as I can't see them aging too well tbh. Not like the Troopy, Grenadier or the G-Wagon can anyway.

Local time
Reaction score
Nah, closer to $90K, not $110 - and that's drive away in a GXL Troopy. I know, as I priced one up (yes, the new version) last year.

I was looking at that, the Defender 130 or the LC300. I was leaning towards the LC300 to be honest, with its reputation for longevity but I really don't like diesel (after injector issues in my 2012 LC200 and DPF issues in my 2016 Prado) for one - and all the issues with new LC300's on the facebook pages really put me off. Having said that, they were niggling issues (glove box failures, rattles, weather strips falling off etc) - not quite as serious as what I am seeing here on the Grenadier (vehicles not starting, roof leaks, faulty fuel guages, door latches sticking).

Oddly, the vehicle with the least amount of issues across all forums and facebook pages appears to be the new Defender. That's the opposite of what I expected and the opposite of what quality surveys such as JP Morgan et al would suggest.

So then was leaning towards Defender, but dealer experience issues (similar to my current Jeep Gladiator really) threw me back to Ineos or the Troopy... but then I read all the Ineos issues with dealers/ the firm getting back to you in any meaningful manner or time... I just don't know! I really don't like that the Troopy is so expensive for an old, less equipped, less safe and poorly powered design - but what other car is out there that - admittedly once optioned up - can you sleep in the back of/ set up as a camper of sorts?

I really am torn. Am sticking with my Grenadier order though, as I am hoping the negative things will iron themselves out over the long time I intend to keep this next purchase. That was another miss for the Defender actually - as I can't see them aging too well tbh. Not like the Troopy, Grenadier or the G-Wagon can anyway.
If I may offer an outside perspective: the Troopy and the Defender are very different vehicles, with different strengths & weaknesses. Maybe decide how you want to use your new vehicle the most, and prioritize the value you seek.

Do you want an end of days vehicle that is super tough and reliable? Then the Troopy is your choice, but its not super-comfortable. If you are over a certain age, its going to beat you up on long road trips. It is not designed to be a highway comfort vehicle, nor a "canyon carver". Its a truck.

Do you want a comfortable vehicle for your daily commute and for long road trips? Then the Defender beats out the Troopy. It is probably the best on-road vehicle of those you are looking at. But its not the simplest of these vehicles. It is very dependent on electronic computer-controlled traction aids, etc. But the Defender has great off-road performance if you are not in terrain that will pop those low-profile tires - in other words: you cannot use a Defender for technical rock crawling (not without some serious modification). As it is far more complex than a Troopy, it is probably not the vehicle you want to take deep into the Outback.

Anyway... it seems like you need to determine where your priorities lie, and then pick which set of pros, and which set of cons best fit that end use. Sometimes this is easier said than done...

Local time
Reaction score
Not good at techy stuff. Here is that Defender Meme. Someone fix it please!

Ha ha! Here you go...

This is the GIF from The Fast Lane Truck (TFL) from the link above. This is Tommy after popping a second tire on a new Defender. The Defender has big wheels, and low-profile tires (even in its "off-road" trim). TFL took a Defender, a Bronco, and a Jeep on a challenging, but typical Colorado trail (I think its a grade 7 on the OnX off-road scale), and blew two tires on the Defender. The full TFL video is below the GIF.

TFL_Defender.gif

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=391AsASvmi8

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

The only valid reason to buy a troopy is if you really need that space in the back for camping inside etc, otherwise it’s a truly horrible vehicle to drive and live with. INEOS communication has been very poor, but they do seem to be beavering away in the background trying to get stuff fixed and sorted. Dealer/agent issues are very much down to the actual agent, mine has been absolutely brilliant and I think that has been the same for the majority of Australians, UK seems mixed with some great reports and some not so great, EU seems a bit less awesome and Belgium atrocious, INEOS should fire them they are giving a bad name in my opinion and based on the things I have read here from members.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ha ha! Here you go...

This is the GIF from The Fast Lane Truck (TFL) from the link above. This is Tommy after popping a second tire on a new Defender. The Defender has big wheels, and low-profile tires (even in its "off-road" trim). TFL took a Defender, a Bronco, and a Jeep on a challenging, but typical Colorado trail (I think its a grade 7 on the OnX off-road scale), and blew two tires on the Defender. The full TFL video is below the GIF.

View attachment 7839982

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=391AsASvmi8
New Defender is/was one of the others I have considered. If you buy the 4 cylinded model you can get 18 inch wheels. The base P400 comes standard with 19 inch wheels that have minimal tire options. The kicker to me was the work arounds people are using to get 18 inch wheels to fit which involves either grinding away some of the rear brake caliper or completely replacing the rear caliper altogether. I can only imagine what my wife would say if I took a grinder to the brakes on a brand new Defender.

Local time
Reaction score
What's odd is the 3.0 litre Defender is available here in the U.K. with 18" wheels in several variants.

And you'd think that the 18" wheels would be of more use in other countries (such as the USA) where there's greater need for them.

Zorro

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
If I may offer an outside perspective: the Troopy and the Defender are very different vehicles, with different strengths & weaknesses. Maybe decide how you want to use your new vehicle the most, and prioritize the value you seek.

Do you want an end of days vehicle that is super tough and reliable? Then the Troopy is your choice, but its not super-comfortable. If you are over a certain age, its going to beat you up on long road trips. It is not designed to be a highway comfort vehicle, nor a "canyon carver". Its a truck.

Do you want a comfortable vehicle for your daily commute and for long road trips? Then the Defender beats out the Troopy. It is probably the best on-road vehicle of those you are looking at. But its not the simplest of these vehicles. It is very dependent on electronic computer-controlled traction aids, etc. But the Defender has great off-road performance if you are not in terrain that will pop those low-profile tires - in other words: you cannot use a Defender for technical rock crawling (not without some serious modification). As it is far more complex than a Troopy, it is probably not the vehicle you want to take deep into the Outback.

Anyway... it seems like you need to determine where your priorities lie, and then pick which set of pros, and which set of cons best fit that end use. Sometimes this is easier said than done...
You are dead right on all counts. But I can't make the decision.

I will go with the Grenadier, if only because if I don't satisfy this itch I have with the Defender-style of vehicle I will forever wonder... And I think a version of the JLR product will always be around if it's the wrong decision. Which left the Troopy (sleeping in) and the Grenadier. I am getting old (been shot in three locations while overseas on deployment) and the back/ legs are getting less mobile. But the Troopy, I believe, will always be around (or a car like it). While I am a spring chicken at something close to 50 years of age I'll grab the Grenadier.

But I guess I was pointing out that it's not always an obvious call between cars in the AUD$90 - 120K range.

Back
Top Bottom