The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What other vehicles did you consider buying?

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
11:51 PM
Reaction score
AMC made the Eagle as a 4x4 in both 2 and 4 door.

I had a 4 door with a manual 5 speed with AC and a full gauge package including a vacuum gauge. The rear seats folded flat and you could sleep 2 in a pinch. Great surf/ski vehicle.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:51 AM
Reaction score
Glad I didn’t get a Power Wagon with a Cummings. J/k. I am sure they are a great truck but man someone must have gotten fired.

bazooka tooth

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've owned Rovers along the way with an eclectic mix of other brands, but owned a 95 RRC and a 92 D90 when the B1 prototype came out to VA. Once I saw it I knew that was it. I tried liking the new Defender but simply can't.

Local time
7:51 AM
Reaction score
For me it was either the Grenadier or a new Defender.
Most of my driving is on road but l would have loved a Grenadier. My previous vehicle was a 2005 Defender 110.

ln the end it came down to money. The new Defender Commercial is classed as "Commercial" by HMRC in the U.K. and no version of the Grenadier is.
Also the Grenadier price increased by over £12,000
The Defender also went up in price by £4,000
As l am able to put the Defender through my business l've saved £14,000 tax on the purchase alone.
So that made the Defender effectively £40,000 as opposed to £65,000 for a Grenadier

lf the figures worked l would have had the Grenadier.
lf lneos manage to get the Grenadier "Commercial" classed as Commercial by HMRC in the U.K. l would look at it again.

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah that’s exactly what my situation was too. I wanted to buy the grenadier through the company, paid the initial £450 reservation fee but when it transpired they were going to be far too heavy to qualify I pulled the deposit and started looking at alternatives to replace my van and pickup.

I ended up just buying mine privately and when I use it for any business use I’ll pay myself mileage.

Frustrating though - but there is literally nothing else I’d rather have. Pickups are OK. 4x4 vans are ok. What I really need is a commercial vehicle that’s as big as a small/midsize van, with proper 4x4, can tow 3.5te and is built to last.

Local time
Reaction score
l have read that if you've bought the Grenadier "Commercial" (2 seat version) you can put it through the business anyway and whether it gets allowed is down to the tax man, if they ever check.
The worst that could happen is you have to repay the tax and VAT (if you're VAT registered, l am not) but apparently there's a case to argue if you can convince the tax man that the vehicle is "primarily designed to move goods" (no rear seats or windows) and that's what you're doing with it.

Not sure how you'd get on with the 5 seat "Commercial" version.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Glad I didn’t get a Power Wagon with a Cummings. J/k. I am sure they are a great truck but man someone must have gotten fired.
They don't make the Power Wagon with a Cummins. There are other models of Ram 2500 you can get with the 6.7 Cummins, but not the Power Wagon.

cummins_logo.png

But, yeah, this is unfortunate - Cummins has been making really good diesel engines for over 100 hundred years. I had the 5.9 Cummins in a Dodge 2500, and it was a great truck (manual transmission, so no trouble with the crappy Dodge auto-box), I've been out at sea powered by Cummins, and I've worked off-the-grid powered by a Cummins generator. They are one of the best in the business. The new emissions requirements have been a challenge for a lot of makers of diesel engines.

Last edited:

six1five

GG 319
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
Really wanted another truck for the brewery. Very happy we kept on the Grenadier route and now I won’t be the default “truck” guy.

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s an interesting point. I’d really like a long bed utility wagon, something with 5 proper seats and really big loadbed, doesn’t need glass in the back and could have a GVW of 4t or 4.6t like some of the bigger vans. Really it could be a bit wider so have 6 seats.

You’ll pay over £75k plus vat for a 4wd sprinter of decent spec and it won’t be any use on anything more off-road than a slippery track. This would be a genuine midpoint between these small vans or 3.5t pickups and a Unimog or something like the 4x4 or 6x6 HGV like the MAN TGS or such like which are hundreds (and hundreds) of thousands.

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I have owned, but not at the same time, in this order….
Land Rover series 2A (1962)
Land Rover Series 3 Station Wagon - Double safari roof etc 109”
Land Rover 110 station wagon - turbo diesel, G reg
Range Rover Classic LSE. 4.3lt V8 (TVR engine)
Land Rover 300tdi 110 County Station Wagon
Defender Puma 110 XS Station Wagon 2,4lt

And a string of Volvos as my ‘other’ car.

so, the dilema, new Defender? NO! Grenadier - ooh. Pricey. Invest in upgrading the Puma? Chose the latter. £16k down the drain. Despite re wiring, new almost everything, still unreliable. Although I loved it for around 170,000 miles!

Maggie, my Brittannia blue Grenadier, was love at first sight. No brainer. Despite the list of faults that the warranty is going to be hit with! Best thing I did in 2023. (Best in 2022? Having my cask of Bruichladdich bottled :)). Living on an island with lousy roads and bumpy tracks it really is the right vehicle.

And yes, my Volvo XC90 inscription is still on the drive,
luxury and pace. ……..and better MPG on a journe!

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:51 AM
Reaction score
For us we will not buy a new SUV with out a Frame, Solid Rear Axle, Front and Rear Lockers, winch option, ect. So really we were going to get a Bronco. Its the terrible engineering flaws that chased us to the Grenadier.
Prior and Current 4x4s;
2015 Four Runner TRD Pro -- Too Costly to upgrade
1996 Mitsubishi Montero -- 1979 Wagoneer front axle, 4:1 t/case, 37s, fully built
2018 Ram Power Wagon -- Will be replaced with another
2005 Nissan Titan
2005 Nissan Xterra-- Horrible
1983-1999 various Monteros maybe 12 all together
2010 Tacoma -- Wifes prior car

Along with a Grenadier I want a mid size overlander pick up for retirement, either Gladiator or Quartermaster
Also buying a 2025 Frontier Pro 4X for business to keep down Grenadier miles

pgar171

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
cybertruck. when they came out with the range, it became a non-option (300 miles is really more like 220 miles). same price in the US as the Grenadier. Non brainer to go with the Grenadier at that price point.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:51 AM
Reaction score
When you think about electric trucks, they cannot go off road,( breakage, range, tires, weight) cannot tow or do anything.( due to range) So the question becomes what are they good for? Fast for sure! When you realize 220 miles x 60% is all you can use on the road, that is 132 miles of range! ( not supposed to charge over 80% or go below 20%) And towing cuts range by over half...then the batteries are huge and take forever to charge. While the entire EV industry is sinking new tech will save plastic commuter cars eventually,( such as solid state batteries) but will trucks EVER be practical? Not for off-road due to weight for sure. And is the environmental destruction worth it? These things create so much pollution to make, that theoretical pay offs are in the decade long range when, well of course they need a new 20K battery for a car ( what does a truck one cost? :eek: ) Then most are totaled in a small accident due to cost of having one large blob of sheet metal and plastic instead of being repaired. That also must be addressed with COMPLETE re-designs before you go off-road with one, and to lesson the incredible environmental destruction. For a comparison, several of my neighbors attempt to drive Subarus home and we live off-road on basic dirt roads, more practical then an ev for sure. Yet they have a THREE year life expectancy!( some last 5-6 years with complete re-builds of drivetrain and suspension) Sure they get 19-21 MPG, but at around 30K in the time you go through 3 of them in 9 -10 years, and the Grenadier keeps on ticking. My Ram has only seen shocks replaced. Sure you can replace rims, suspension, CVT, leaking engine, endless suspension parts and so on. Then my neighbor crashed his 3 year old one 2 days ago in the snow, while 2 others sat in the ditch. His totaled, another one off to the shop and the other likely ok. I drove the same road at 3x the speed, but with large tires and higher friction I never even slid at all. Had I ran into the same boulder as my neighbor at 10-15mph? The Grenadier or Power Wagon might have had a small bumper scratch or dent, but I would just drive on, maybe have to lock a diff to get out of a ditch. There is something to building vehicles that last for the environment. BTW charging an EV is not currently practical for someone like me that lives off grid. It would take 350,000.00 or more to accomplish.

Local time
Reaction score
When you think about electric trucks, they cannot go off road,( breakage, range, tires, weight) cannot tow or do anything.( due to range) So the question becomes what are they good for? Fast for sure! When you realize 220 miles x 60% is all you can use on the road, that is 132 miles of range! ( not supposed to charge over 80% or go below 20%) And towing cuts range by over half...then the batteries are huge and take forever to charge. While the entire EV industry is sinking new tech will save plastic commuter cars eventually,( such as solid state batteries) but will trucks EVER be practical? Not for off-road due to weight for sure. And is the environmental destruction worth it? These things create so much pollution to make, that theoretical pay offs are in the decade long range when, well of course they need a new 20K battery for a car ( what does a truck one cost? :eek: ) Then most are totaled in a small accident due to cost of having one large blob of sheet metal and plastic instead of being repaired. That also must be addressed with COMPLETE re-designs before you go off-road with one, and to lesson the incredible environmental destruction. For a comparison, several of my neighbors attempt to drive Subarus home and we live off-road on basic dirt roads, more practical then an ev for sure. Yet they have a THREE year life expectancy!( some last 5-6 years with complete re-builds of drivetrain and suspension) Sure they get 19-21 MPG, but at around 30K in the time you go through 3 of them in 9 -10 years, and the Grenadier keeps on ticking. My Ram has only seen shocks replaced. Sure you can replace rims, suspension, CVT, leaking engine, endless suspension parts and so on. Then my neighbor crashed his 3 year old one 2 days ago in the snow, while 2 others sat in the ditch. His totaled, another one off to the shop and the other likely ok. I drove the same road at 3x the speed, but with large tires and higher friction I never even slid at all. Had I ran into the same boulder as my neighbor at 10-15mph? The Grenadier or Power Wagon might have had a small bumper scratch or dent, but I would just drive on, maybe have to lock a diff to get out of a ditch. There is something to building vehicles that last for the environment. BTW charging an EV is not currently practical for someone like me that lives off grid. It would take 350,000.00 or more to accomplish.
Preach. With current technology, BEVs are great for city driving, suburban use, and commuting in and around suburban and urban areas, but they make no sense for off-road use or overlanding for all the reasons you lay out. Also, we see the exact same life-expectancy gap between light all-wheel drive vehicles (like Subarus) when compared to Landcruisers and heavy duty trucks - when the vehicles are used to daily drive long rough dirt roads. The lighter-duty vehicles blow through CV boots, struts, and just seem to shake apart. To be clear, I'm talking about long daily trips on rough corrugated roads.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Back
Top Bottom