The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Clicking noise ?

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:16 AM
Reaction score
Hi!

Couldn’t find a thread on this already so maybe it’s just me or my car but I’d thought I ask.

And to anyone who has this noise but hadn’t notice yet - I’m sorry ! 😬

I didn’t notice my first 5000km’s but all of a sudden it was there. And now it’s driving me crazy.

When I run the windshield wipers, every time they get back to their starting position, there is a very noticeable click noise coming from what I’m guessing below the rear seats.

I’m almost certainly butchering the electrical lingo here but sounds like a relay (?) which sends a signal to the wipers to move, and when doing so it makes this clicking noise.

Does anyone else have this?
Do we think this could be fixed with reasonable effort with some aftermarket part replacements?

I asked my local dealer and they said this is “normal”. Maybe I’m the one with bat-like hearing.

Tried attaching video for anyone wondering what the heck I’m talking about, but even a 5s clip uploaded as “Small” was considered “too large”, so you’ll just have to take my word for it.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:16 PM
Reaction score
I get the same, I assumed it is from a wiper relay under the rear seat. Another Grenadier idiosyncrasy.

GPFACTOR

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Local time
4:16 AM
Reaction score
I get the same, I assumed it is from a wiper relay under the rear seat. Another Grenadier idiosyncrasy.
You are correct. (y) Thats exactly what it is. Just the wiper relay turning on and off. We all here it because all of that is right behind us instead of under the hood.

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
ok, so I’m not crazy then.

Perhaps it could be moved to under the hood. Not top priority but to be added to the To-Do list.

If anyone decides to do it, it would be much appreciated if you could share how.

GPFACTOR

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
ok, so I’m not crazy then.

Perhaps it could be moved to under the hood. Not top priority but to be added to the To-Do list.

If anyone decides to do it, it would be much appreciated if you could share how.
I don’t think it’s possible to relocate that to under the hood. Most of the electric is under the rear seat.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It would require a substantial amount of time to run the wires to under the hood only to come back... Unless you rewired the entire wiper system, which just seems silly.

You could always try a piece of 3M Thinsulate or similar as a sound dampener over the relays under the seat if it really bothers you

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:16 AM
Reaction score
It would require a substantial amount of time to run the wires to under the hood only to come back... Unless you rewired the entire wiper system, which just seems silly.

You could always try a piece of 3M Thinsulate or similar as a sound dampener over the relays under the seat if it really bothers you
Or turn the radio up louder ;)

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:16 AM
Reaction score
They placed an awful lot under the back seat to avoid water intrusion, honestly a little clicking is not a big deal. Old school turn signals were pretty darn loud with the relay in the dash. I mean, just does not seem like an issue to me...

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
the “issue” only occurs in light rain. No rain = no click. Heavy rain = noise drowned out by rain.

Unfortunately for me, in Gothenburg, Sweden, it’s a lot of days with rain of all kinds.

I do like the noise of the indicators. It gives the car some old world charm.

I still love the Grenadier for what it is and represents. Even considering all her perfect imperfections 😍.

hoohoohama

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For some reason, I never noticed it before, now after reading this thread, I could hear it now (when wiper is set at low speed) :)

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I noticed this clicking right away from week 1. If anyone has a sound dampener solution, I'm all ears!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I noticed this clicking right away from week 1. If anyone has a sound dampener solution, I'm all ears!
Someone could always order 3 linear feet of this and cut it to size for multiple vehicles (this is 15 sq ft) - https://diyvan.com/products/3m-thinsulate-sm600l

Lay it over the relay panel and it will greatly cut down on sound; I'm not sure if there is a way of wrapping the relays, but that would make it even quieter.

Going down in thickness to the AU4002-5 (https://diyvan.com/products/3m-thinsulate-au40025) would probably look a bit cleaner since it has scrim on both sides

Local time
Reaction score
Easy fix, replace the mechanical type relay with a solid state electronic relay. There is no operational noise and are available as a direct replacement for most standard automotive relay sizes.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That might be your problem - you're all ears 👂 😄😄😄

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Easy fix, replace the mechanical type relay with a solid state electronic relay. There is no operational noise and are available as a direct replacement for most standard automotive relay sizes.

This makes sense to me. I mean there must be hundreds of relays in the car, but only one that makes noise?

Does anyone know which standard solid state relay would work as a replacement?

Back
Top Bottom