The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Transfer Box - changing from high to low.

Tony

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:45 PM
Reaction score
I collected my Trialmaster from Grange in Edinburgh this week and haven't stopped playing since:), I just love it! However, today whilst familiarizing I found a problem which someone out there my be able to help with. I cannot get the transfer box lever to move from its "high" position to "low" position. I have followed the guidelines in the manual - engine running, main lever in "N" position, foot on the break, lift the transfer box collar and it will not move from the "high" position:confused:. Am I missing something? Any ideas?

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I collected my Trialmaster from Grange in Edinburgh this week and haven't stopped playing since:), I just love it! However, today whilst familiarizing I found a problem which someone out there my be able to help with. I cannot get the transfer box lever to move from its "high" position to "low" position. I have followed the guidelines in the manual - engine running, main lever in "N" position, foot on the break, lift the transfer box collar and it will not move from the "high" position:confused:. Am I missing something? Any ideas?
It’s very stiff. I struggle to move mine also. Hopefully it will ease up with use. 👍🏼

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:45 PM
Reaction score
Hello Tony,
I know the problem too. There are situations where the gearbox shifts well. From high to low in lock low, in lock high and back in high.
But just today I had the same problem again with the lever not wanting to go down. I then went forward a few centimetres in D, then shifted back into N and went back into low with heavy pressure. From my point of view this is not satisfactory. When I look at my Land Rovers, shifting into low is much better. But that is also because they have manual gearboxes and I can engage 1st gear to let the reduction engage.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In my experience, you just need to be “positive” with it.. You’re moving linkages and intermeshing which are usually done by actuators.. I quite like th honesty of it. Occasionally it bounces out while you’re doing it but with some mechanical sympathy, you get the “feel” for it..

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
First time I tried it was really hard to move and didn’t snapped in. Now, some trys later it works very good. You still need some force but nothing to worry about!

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:45 PM
Reaction score
In my experience, you just need to be “positive” with it.. You’re moving linkages and intermeshing which are usually done by actuators.. I quite like th honesty of it. Occasionally it bounces out while you’re doing it but with some mechanical sympathy, you get the “feel” for it..
Yes, I agree with you completely. I am not unfamiliar with mechanical gearboxes and gears. I would have expected a better solution, even though I am fine with the current situation. With my Land Rovers, I shift the gear reduction almost every day. They shift in almost by themselves.

Tony

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks, will give it a go!

Tony

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hello Tony,
I know the problem too. There are situations where the gearbox shifts well. From high to low in lock low, in lock high and back in high.
But just today I had the same problem again with the lever not wanting to go down. I then went forward a few centimetres in D, then shifted back into N and went back into low with heavy pressure. From my point of view this is not satisfactory. When I look at my Land Rovers, shifting into low is much better. But that is also because they have manual gearboxes and I can engage 1st gear to let the reduction engage.
Thanks for your reassuring reply, will give it a try.

Tony

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
First time I tried it was really hard to move and didn’t snapped in. Now, some trys later it works very good. You still need some force but nothing to worry about!
Many thanks, will persist(y)

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:45 AM
Reaction score
We have the same issues with the new Toyota 79 series shifting the ear lever into low, mechanical all the same so it seems not a make specific issue

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is the issue of the movement being hard/stiff across the full range of movement or just the end section where you're looking to engage the second set of gears?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
Sounds identical to my '95 Discovery.
It's part of the old school analog experience by all accounts. But at least you get power steering , not armstrong steering.

Tony

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is the issue of the movement being hard/stiff across the full range of movement or just the end section where you're looking to engage the second set of gears?
Hi, it didn't want to engage at all. However, heeded the advice of forum members and persisted and today with a warm gear box and positive pressure its working well1 Thanks to all for the advice.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I visualise it as 3 discrete movements:

1. Disengage high gearset
2. Slide forwards to low gearset
3. Engage low gearset

And there can be issues with 1. ~ side loading of selector and gearset making Disengagement hard & 3.alighing selector and gearset to enable mesh.

Screenshot_20230530_065221_com.facebook.katana.jpgScreenshot_20230530_065233_com.facebook.katana.jpgScreenshot_20230530_065258_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Back
Top Bottom