The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Transfer Case Gear Lever - pin

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:45 PM
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has/is encountering an issue where a very small metal pin (I’ll call it a pin), is sticking out of their transfer case lever near the top around the ball?

The pin appears to not only hold the gear boot up the top of the lever but also plays a significant part in the functioning of the gear lever and its ability to select low range etc. How do I know this? I found it striking out and had a look at it, it then promptly fell out onto the floor and I could no longer use the transfer lever and it was stuck in place.

I was able to locate the pin and once inserted I was able to move the lever again (though it still sticks out). I’d take a photo of it sticking out but it was at night and the next morning dropped it off to the dealer for a few other issues to be rectified.

IMG_1055.jpeg

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:45 AM
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has/is encountering an issue where a very small metal pin (I’ll call it a pin), is sticking out of their transfer case lever near the top around the ball?

The pin appears to not only hold the gear boot up the top of the lever but also plays a significant part in the functioning of the gear lever and its ability to select low range etc. How do I know this? I found it striking out and had a look at it, it then promptly fell out onto the floor and I could no longer use the transfer lever and it was stuck in place.

I was able to locate the pin and once inserted I was able to move the lever again (though it still sticks out). I’d take a photo of it sticking out but it was at night and the next morning dropped it off to the dealer for a few other issues to be rectified.

View attachment 7840288
I can't see on my Shifter where that is...would you take a pic please?

Edit: I just felt a hole on the backside of the shifter...thank you I am with it..maybe a dob of Sikaflex

Last edited:

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, mine started to come out so I zip tied it. This has had the unfortunate result of the classic dealership response of "we can't get it to fail..."

I guess I'll need to just let it fall out and let them pay the tow bill to move my vehicle from NoVA to Philly since it'll be bound to happen in low. /Sarcasm

Last edited:

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What about putting a small piece of black electrical tape over the pin site? Could just be a small square, no one would see it and seems like cheap insurance (yes it shouldn’t happen at all). Or would the pin simply push through the tape?

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Unknown - I prefer the zip tie as it won't fall off. The last tech to inspect it used a quality black Nissan reusable zip tie.

They tried to pull the pin out with a magnet and it would not come out. I'm honestly unwilling to allow it to fall out again, as it may significantly disable the vehicle if lost.

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I may just put a square of black electrical tape there just as a belt-and-suspenders approach. Mine doesn’t seem to have moved but wouldn’t want it falling out at the wrong time, or anytime.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the pin and found a better fitting alternative?

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If it falls out maybe re-insert with a light coating of clear silicon to keep it stuck in place? I don’t have my truck yet so just a hypothesis…

lagartoboy

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:45 AM
Reaction score
I may just put a square of black electrical tape there just as a belt-and-suspenders approach. Mine doesn’t seem to have moved but wouldn’t want it falling out at the wrong time, or anytime.
And while you have the black electrical tape put a strip over the annoying passenger airbag light as another member suggested😊.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:45 PM
Reaction score
OGrid, can you report back with how the dealer fixes it? Thanks.
The dealer placed the pin back inside the shifter. The dealer’s comment was that Ineos had not, at that time, identified a solution to stop it reoccurring.

They said they’d not seen an issue until approx 2 weeks ago - I was their 4th issue encountered. I’ve done 5200 kms.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
I really hope Ineos is on here. Something even simple like this, could be discovered and fixed before it becomes a big issue. I think dealers are slow to communicate problems they do not see as a major safety issue. This forum can replace millions of dollars in losses down the road, improve customer service, understand customers further and replace millions of dollars in useless focus groups. The cost? A couple of hours of labor a day!

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
I had the same problem.
As the pin was not available separately, the whole gearshift was replaced.
If I remember correctly, the pin is 24x3 mm.
I'm going to get 3.1 mm dowel pins as a replacement!

Attachments

• IMG_2257.png
    IMG_2257.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 159

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:45 PM
Reaction score
I had the same problem.
Let us know how easy the new pin install goes and where you purchased one.
DaBull

Local time
Reaction score
I had the same problem.
A spring pin is definitely the best solution. Easily sourced in the US from McMaster Carr. The linked pin has an actual diameter of 3.3mm and will compress for use in holes from 3mm to 3.1mm. The issue might actually be removing it if the need arises.

https://www.mcmaster.com/91610A411/

Back
Top Bottom