The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Check your transfer case for leaks

MickyWadds

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:39 AM
Reaction score
Did you have the loud humming at highway speeds? I did a drive from Houston to Austin last week and thought for part of the drive at 70+ it sounded like a diesel motor vibrating beneath me. The way back was pouring down rain and I did not notice it then. I haven't noticed any bucking. Also same delivery day and build date as yours.
Very loud humming.

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:39 AM
Reaction score
Anyone have this issue fixed at Ron Tonkin in Wilsonville (Portland)? I am frustrated with Elliott Bay and if my rig comes back leaking again I will go to another dealer.

Cheers

Texas Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I noticed this today. Under the driver side midsection. Thoughts anyone??

Attachments

• IMG_2292.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2293.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 72

300chris

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:39 AM
Reaction score
Not sure it’s super common, I had same leak, few others as well. It was an easy fix and is perfect now. My truck was August build, December delivery. If yours is simlilar suspect they just got a bad batch of seals

Texas Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure it’s super common, I had same leak, few others as well. It was an easy fix and is perfect now. My truck was August build, December delivery. If yours is simlilar suspect they just got a bad batch of seals
yup. Picked mine up Dec 13, 2023.

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Got the call yesterday that my Grenadier's t-case leak was all fixed and I could come pick it up. It was the afternoon and last time the leak came back over night, so I asked if they could check the leak this morning before I drive the 2-3 hours to get there. Guess what, new leak today service writer said it was coming from the yoke area. They need to order more parts and they don't have an ETA yet. This is day 16 of the second attempt to repair.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Got the call yesterday that my Grenadier's t-case leak was all fixed and I could come pick it up. It was the afternoon and last time the leak came back over night, so I asked if they could check the leak this morning before I drive the 2-3 hours to get there. Guess what, new leak today service writer said it was coming from the yoke area. They need to order more parts and they don't have an ETA yet. This is day 16 of the second attempt to repair.
I just had my transfer case replaced two weeks ago due to the recall.
My dealer and I also talked about reports here in the forum where people had leaks afterwards.
My dealer said that he got the fully assembled gearbox from Ineos and only flanged it on. There was no oil at that point. If something is dripping out, there must already be leaks in the delivered gearbox.

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just had my transfer case replaced two weeks ago due to the recall.
My dealer and I also talked about reports here in the forum where people had leaks afterwards.
My dealer said that he got the fully assembled gearbox from Ineos and only flanged it on. There was no oil at that point. If something is dripping out, there must already be leaks in the delivered gearbox.
My t-case has not been replaced as far as I know. I guess it could have been before I picked it up.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That really blows. I just had my seal replaced and so far so good. Drove about 400miles since repair.

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That really blows. I just had my seal replaced and so far so good. Drove about 400miles since repair.
That is awesome, I am very happy for you. I am not sure why it is so difficult for my dealer. Saying there was a new unrelated leak today seems weird. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That is awesome, I am very happy for you. I am not sure why it is so difficult for my dealer. Saying there was a new unrelated leak today seems weird. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.
If at helps at all, they can reach out to Curry Ineos in Danbury CT to compare notes.

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If at helps at all, they can reach out to Curry Ineos in Danbury CT to compare notes.
Thanks @Chadd7 I asked them if they talked to other dealers back in March (1st attempt to fix leak) and service guy said they did. I told him about you in NJ and @300chris in Colorado. Considering results, I think it is safe to assume they did not reach out to other dealers. I am disappointed with my dealer and my confidence level with their competency is currently very low. I am most upset that this repair experience has me questioning my purchase of the Grenadier. If it was fixed in a timely manner I wouldn't have given it another thought. I am still hopeful that this gets resolved and I put this all behind me.

Cheers

Spaniel

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
Unfortunately i have had my grenadier in the agents for over 11 weeks in the 10mths i have had it.
Steering module went - wipers on constantly etc. In the agents 5 weeks awaiting parts.
SW update 3 days not sure why it took so long
Transfer box recall and replacement - ( i had no issues but it was a recall from Ineos) 5 days in agents
6 weeks later transfer box failed ( on the way to an off road weekend - Glad it didn't happen up a mountain)
In for another 4 weeks awaiting new T Box
Leaving agent and warning lights come on - drove back to agent. Reboot and reset and all working.

Frustrating that the promise of parts within 24/48hrs - just not happened
The availability of workshop manuals - just not happened.

I would consider selling the vehicle but the price of the grenadier has crashed in the UK - I wonder why

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well, she is home and I am happy to report the garage floor was clean and dry this morning. They replaced the following:
Output shaft seal
Flange gasket
one time use bolts
new coupler nut
Then the yoke leak started...
Anaerobic sealer back of new coupler nut on the front drive line.
New O Ring behind the nut

This took 21 days, part of which was waiting for parts. Communication from dealer wasn't great at first but got a lot better as things progressed. Overall I am happy with their service and I hope I don't need to go back for a long while.

Cheers

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well, she is home and I am happy to report the garage floor was clean and dry this morning. They replaced the following:
Output shaft seal
Flange gasket
one time use bolts
new coupler nut
Then the yoke leak started...
Anaerobic sealer back of new coupler nut on the front drive line.
New O Ring behind the nut

This took 21 days, part of which was waiting for parts. Communication from dealer wasn't great at first but got a lot better as things progressed. Overall I am happy with their service and I hope I don't need to go back for a long while.

Cheers
@PNW_IG That makes me happy for you. I also know the waiting for parts from Land Rover. The important thing is to build up a good relationship with a dealer. And if that doesn't work, look for another dealer, as long as it's close by. I know that sometimes the dealer is very far away. That makes you think twice about going there.

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
This sounds totally stupid, but when creating a working relationship with service departments I would bring them at flat of donuts and calmly discuss (which is difficult for me and my type A personality) the issues my vehicle was having. This went a long way in them remembering that I wasn’t the typical PO’d ranting cussing customer, and it helped with them ensuring repairs were completed right the first time. The only thing that actually got me PO’d was when I’d come back to pick the vehicle up a few hours later I would ask if the service people enjoyed them, only to be told that the sales reps heard about free donuts and scarffed them all in 10 min….damned sales agents :/

Bildeaux

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I had an 11/23 build date and a 2/9/24 delivery. My transfer case began making a noise when in motion and multiple warning signals indicating the transfer case. They took it to Houston, 30 days ago today. Just over 1000 miles on the rig. They didn't even check the fluid in the transfer case until last week. When they did they found metal shavings, so they are going to replace the transfer case. No update on the transfer case shipping or timing. Only reason that they even decided to try to dive into the issues is that I sent them formal notice of the Texas Lemon Law. I still might file for the Texas Lemon Law which requires a replacement or a refund after 30 days of no vehicle. They have not even provided an option for reasonable loaner. The level of service is abysmal.

DMarchand

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I noticed a fluid leak last night while installing skid plates. Fluid had collected on the cooler lines leading to/from the transfer case... Couldn't find fluid above the soft part of the line, leads me to believe a problem with the line itself?

• Wow
Reactions: CB
Back
Top Bottom