The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Check your transfer case for leaks

300chris

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:25 AM
Reaction score
All,
Just a heads up.
My greanadier has developed a transfer case leak (almost certainly front output shaft).
08/23 build date, Dec 2023 delivery, <1500 miles.
From a quick search this is not the first, so please go crawl under and make sure you don’t have oil (on the bottom side of the transfer case)

Honestly I’m not super worked up about this, as otherwise it’s perfect (and these things happen) but i wanted everyone to be aware as I think they possibly had a bad batch of seals.

-Chris

Local time
Reaction score
Who makes the tcase? I don't ever recall reading that factoid.

Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
Who makes the tcase? I don't ever recall reading that factoid.
Tremec makes the transfer case and like the Carraro axles there is very little free information available besides what Ineos publishes in the sales brochures.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
11:25 PM
Reaction score
Contacting a Tremec retailer/rebuider might garner some info. Rockland Standard Gear was easy to work with when bought a transmission from them a little while back. They publish all kinds of technical articles and seem willing to relay info when I've had questions. Of course they may not have heard of a Grenadier.

MickyWadds

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:25 AM
Reaction score
I had a leak and had 2 separate dealers tell me it was the coating from the frame causing the drips. Needless to say, the vehicle was loaded on the back of a tow truck Saturday afternoon. The loud humming noise from the transfer case, and the "bucking" when shifting into gear, leads me to believe the leaking case was the issue all along. 11/23 build date, delivered 2/16/24 - 800 miles
There's no telling when I'll get this vehicle back.

Last edited:

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
All,
Just a heads up.
My greanadier has developed a transfer case leak (almost certainly front output shaft).
From a quick search this is not the first, so please go crawl under and make sure you don’t have oil (on the bottom side of the transfer case)

Honestly I’m not super worked up about this, as otherwise it’s perfect (and these things happen) but i wanted everyone to be aware as I think they possibly had a bad batch of seals.

-Chris
Thanks for reporting and welcome to the club. I am now starting my fourth week without my Grenadier because they are awaiting a replacement seal for me. I had 2000 miles and took delivery December 21st, 2023. Replacing the "output shaft seal".

motolatte

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
All,
Just a heads up.

-Chris
I have a little bit of oily film on the front output shaft, rear output shaft is dry as a bone... hope I don't have the start of the leak. 2500 miles on the odo after getting it 6 weeks ago.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting and welcome to the club. I am now starting my fourth week without my Grenadier because they are awaiting a replacement seal for me. I had 2000 miles and took delivery December 21st, 2023.

I have a little bit of oily film on the front output shaft, rear output shaft is dry as a bone... hope I don't have the start of the leak. 2500 miles on the odo after getting it 6 weeks ago.
Monitor the floor of where you park overnight. I had droplets like this

Attachments

• IMG_7583.jpeg
    IMG_7583.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7584.jpeg
    IMG_7584.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47

motolatte

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Monitor the floor of where you park overnight. I had droplets like this
Will do, I cleaned it up to see if i get anymore residue as well. Hopefully the oil film on it was left over from assembly or something benign. Fingers crossed...

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had a leak and had 2 separate dealers tell me it was the coating from the frame causing the drips. Needless to say, the vehicle was loaded on the back of a tow truck Saturday afternoon. The loud humming noise from the transfer case, and the "bucking" when shifting into gear, leads me to believe the leaking case was the issue all along. 11/23 build date, delivered 2/16/24 - 800 miles
Any updates on yours?

motolatte

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
after cleaning and driving another 1K, clean as the rear shaft seal. hopefully we are good to go. Did you happen to get fixed up and back on the road?

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got my Grenadier back from Elliott Bay yesterday. They said they found the TCase leak and it was an out of place vent tube on the top of the case that needed to re re-seated. Checked the garage floor this morning and the leak is still there. Frustrating.

300chris

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’d still lean toward front output shaft seal. Does it look anything like the images I posted previously? Mine had a confirmed front seal leak, fixed, and now 100%

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’d still lean toward front output shaft seal. Does it look anything like the images I posted previously? Mine had a confirmed front seal leak, fixed, and now 100%
Same here.

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I offered to share the pictures and told them about this tread. Service writer did not seem interested. Glad yours are fixed @300chris and @Chadd7 mine will be eventually, 3 hours to get home last night in Seattle traffic is making it sting a bit.

Last edited:

AFdude412

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:25 AM
Reaction score
Did you have the loud humming at highway speeds? I did a drive from Houston to Austin last week and thought for part of the drive at 70+ it sounded like a diesel motor vibrating beneath me. The way back was pouring down rain and I did not notice it then. I haven't noticed any bucking. Also same delivery day and build date as yours.

Back
Top Bottom