The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Transfer Case Technical Discussion

j.ironfab

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:11 PM
Reaction score
As the US deliveries are starting to happen and my order is getting closer to production I wanted to start a discussion around the Grens transfercase and its design. I have seen some videos from Ineos and threads about the gearing but not diagrams of how the transfercase actually works.

From what Ineos has shared this is a gear to gear transfer case with helical cut gears as you would expect from the modern era. I did not notice any gear whine on my test drive like I usually notice in most gear to gear transfercases so I am impressed by that.

Does anyone have access to a diagram of how the tranfercase is built? I have one from one of my favorite 4wd setups the Mitsubishi Montero or Pajero depending on where you are in the world. You can see in this diagram that the center diff has 4 spider gears that allow for the difference in speed and the splines that engage to lock the center diff. I was hoping we can get something similar for the Gren.

Can anyone find a similar diagram for the Gren's Tremec gear box? I am mostly interested in how the center diff is built and the amount of spider gears.

Looking for something like this.
Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 4.55.49 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 4.55.31 PM.png

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
Can someone pop under the vehicle and take a pic of the TC plate - model# etc?
I'm separated from mine atm.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can someone pop under the vehicle and take a pic of the TC plate - model# etc?
I'm separated from mine atm.
20230725_170024.jpg20230914_122413.jpg
The vehicle was delivered July 2023 with the August2022 t/f case. It had no apparent symptoms, was very quiet. Apart from occasional use of CDL on wet gravel (<80 km distance) and occasional low range to reverse up the tricky 17% narrow sloping curved drivway of daughter's home....) didn't get to use it under "proper" conditions.
Was replaced Sept 2023 at 6200 km approx. with the Nov22 "B" build.
Have hardly driven it since apart from a trip to Sunshine Coast (400km return) due to "life" getting in the way incl. Covid...
The replacement has an expected light whining under light load ( to me.... I have a sensitive ear when it comes to "matters mechanical"...my dear wife reaches for the music Vol. control...😍)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks!
Mine is also the B version , and whines a bit.

I can't find anything related to this bespoke TC at this point in time
I'm a fan of exploded parts diagrams!

Local time
8:11 PM
Reaction score
Thanks!
Mine is also the B version , and whines a bit.

I can't find anything related to this bespoke TC at this point in time
I'm a fan of exploded parts diagrams!
Finding information, special tooling and parts diagrams on the Carraro light commercial vehicle axles used in the Grenadier is also proving to be laborious task. Tractor axle parts are no problem. Photos of the Ineos axle ID plates are very few.
There are some photos on another French 4x4 forum of the similar sized disassembled Carraro full floating axles mechanical diff lock install. These axle were used in the Auverland 4x4 back in the 90's and the made under a license JPX Montez in Brazil. There are also some aftermarket parts listings for suspension bolts used in the Auverland that are near to identical to the ones used in a Grenadier.Auverland suspension.jpgCarraro 2017 5.jpgCarraro 2017 4.jpgDiff cover parts.jpg

Last edited:
Local time
8:11 PM
Reaction score
I thought this may be of interest to the people like to learn about the mechanical aspect of a vehicle. While I was looking for information on Iveco Daily transfer cases and through an image search and FB suggestions I came across "Reul Parts smart +Strong Customs" from Belgium. This is a company probably better known to the European members of the group for off road motor sports. While looking through their photo gallery I noticed the photos of the current Iveco Daily 4x4 transfer case in pieces. Like the Tremec the Iveco TC can be a difficult to find disassembled images or information about. This Iveco transfer case is having similar issues with noise as a few Tremec transfer cases used in the Grenadier, generally an inherent quality of a constant mesh countershaft transmission. Reul does reference the noise as a reason for disassembly but disassembly was also a learning exercise for them.
With reference to the diagrams and photos used in Grenadier sales literature the 2020 style Iveco transfer case is the best and closest currently available photo representation of the Tremec t/case used in the Grenadier. The Iveco transfer case is remote mounted and larger than the Tremec however Iveco does use a ZF8HP, same as Grenadier, auto transmission to drive it. The mechanically minded will notice the gear sets are not positioned in their respective positions within the t/case. There are labels to identify the parts. Remember this is an Iveco product and the image is the closest photo representation of a Grenadier transfer case and more of a learning tool.

Iveco Daily 2020 tcase2.jpg2020 Iveco daily tcase parts.jpgTremec Tcase 2.jpg
Photos from the Reul Parts smart + Strong Customs FB page. IG sales literature.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I thought this may be of interest to the people like to learn about the mechanical aspect of a vehicle. While I was looking for information on Iveco Daily transfer cases and through an image search and FB suggestions I came across "Reul Parts smart +Strong Customs" from Belgium. This is a company probably better known to the European members of the group for off road motor sports. While looking through their photo gallery I noticed the photos of the current Iveco Daily 4x4 transfer case in pieces. Like the Tremec the Iveco TC can be a difficult to find disassembled images or information about. This Iveco transfer case is having similar issues with noise as a few Tremec transfer cases used in the Grenadier, generally an inherent quality of a constant mesh countershaft transmission. Reul does reference the noise as a reason for disassembly but disassembly was also a learning exercise for them.
With reference to the diagrams and photos used in Grenadier sales literature the 2020 style Iveco transfer case is the best and closest currently available photo representation of the Tremec t/case used in the Grenadier. The Iveco transfer case is remote mounted and larger than the Tremec however Iveco does use a ZF8HP, same as Grenadier, auto transmission to drive it. The mechanically minded will notice the gear sets are not positioned in their respective positions within the t/case. There are labels to identify the parts. Remember this is an Iveco product and the image is the closest photo representation of a Grenadier transfer case and more of a learning tool.

View attachment 7847602View attachment 7847596View attachment 7847600
Photos from the Reul Parts smart + Strong Customs FB page. IG sales literature.
Thank you for taking the trouble to full in the knowledge gaps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom