The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Transfer Case Gear Lever - pin

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:05 PM
Reaction score
I've always known them as roll pins. Any 1/2 decent auto parts store sells them in packs of mixed sizes. Good to keep in a spares kit , along with R pins , split pins and safety pins!

Local time
8:05 AM
Reaction score
I've always known them as roll pins. Any 1/2 decent auto parts store sells them in packs of mixed sizes. Good to keep in a spares kit , along with R pins , split pins and safety pins!
I agree with the contents of that spares kit. Easy to store and when you need it you really need it. And yes spring pins are also commonly referred to as roll pins.

Local time
Reaction score
Looking at the image of the pin in the original post it seems odd that the pin appears not to have a slit which would provide the spring function to hold it in place. Without that it is unclear what actually keeps it from backing out. Given the multiple reports of pins working loose apparently there is nothing preventing that from happening. Replacing it might need to be a default mod for all new owners.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
With a number of things , I don't see how there could have been this thought process
"Let's see if we can make it fail...then see if we can make it failsafe"
Allowing real world average unqualified Joe beta testing would iron out these kinks within a few days.

Rab

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:05 PM
Reaction score
Looking at the image of the pin in the original post it seems odd that the pin appears not to have a slit which would provide the spring function to hold it in place. Without that it is unclear what actually keeps it from backing out. Given the multiple reports of pins working loose apparently there is nothing preventing that from happening. Replacing it might need to be a default mod for all new owners.
It is a staked pin, you can barely see the line on the image, the pins working loose mustn’t have received adequate deformation to provide a secure interference fit.
Hopefully their QA has improved on the parts intake.

Local time
Reaction score
A spring pin is definitely the best solution. Easily sourced in the US from McMaster Carr. The linked pin has an actual diameter of 3.3mm and will compress for use in holes from 3mm to 3.1mm. The issue might actually be removing it if the need arises.

https://www.mcmaster.com/91610A411/
Be great to hear feedback from anyone who tries this solution.

The cost works out to $0.34 per pin. It would be worth the price of a $0.68 stamp to send Ineos the bill.

"Its a Jeep Thing" worked for Jeep... in the 1970s & 80s...

Not_a_Jeep_Thing.jpg

Qwatch

Production/Transit
Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score
Yes, mine started to come out so I zip tied it. This has had the unfortunate result of the classic dealership response of "we can't get it to fail..."

I guess I'll need to just let it fall out and let them pay the tow bill to move my vehicle from NoVA to Philly since it'll be bound to happen in low. /Sarcasm
Hi guys. It happened to me today But unfortunately impossible to put it back! Can someone help?

Qwatch

Production/Transit
Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys. It happened to me today But unfortunately impossible to put it back! Can someone help?
Done! Had to remove everything, see the spring, go back in short, put the pin in place, and then OK.
Seems impossible to put back when in low gear. 😅

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Replacing it might need to be a default mod for all new owners.
It's safe to say that it is still far into the minority of owners that have this pin fall out. From some conversations I've had, it appears that if they are going to fall out, they do so fairly quickly; those that have not fallen out early into ownership are held in with the power of Excalibur

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's safe to say that it is still far into the minority of owners that have this pin fall out. From some conversations I've had, it appears that if they are going to fall out, they do so fairly quickly; those that have not fallen out early into ownership are held in with the power of Excalibur
Or in my case, a Velcro wire strap.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Here is the anatomy lesson, from a FB post about a couple stranded on a sand island
I did suggest a 3mm allen key :) as most people don't carry nails or fnecing wire
431672148_10231527554802115_4606761988734964890_n.jpg

Ausadier

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Hey,
Unsure if related but i have been advised post not being able to move lever to low range that a "pin" had dropped out. New part from OS took 3 weeks and due to replace next week. First time issue in Aus they reckon??

Reactions: PBD

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Hey,
Unsure if related but i have been advised post not being able to move lever to low range that a "pin" had dropped out. New part from OS took 3 weeks and due to replace next week. First time issue in Aus they reckon??
3 weeks for a pin?
Just pop a roll pin in.
Or prevent it happening with a zip tie.

Local time
Reaction score
Replacing the straight pin with a knurled pin will likely solve this issue and will be easier then a roll pin to install. Amazon, Ebay, bolt or industrial stores generally have these pins in various lengths and diameters in stock, 3mm is a standard size. It may be an idea to have one or two in the fuse, break down kit when travelling.
Knurled pins.jpg

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
A 3mm hardened pin is a bit small in diameter but still good for high current. 1/4", 6mm bolt or a .22 shell works well for the old glass fuses without damaging the fuse holder.

View attachment 7847086
Ah I see you've got that kit too!
Top tip : I change the cheese each month

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm using RP7 because I'm old fashioned. Made in the same lab as Glen 20.

Back
Top Bottom